Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Pre-Viking tunic found on glacier

pre-viking tunic glacier norway

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,872 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

A pre-Viking woolen tunic found beside a thawing glacier in south Norway shows how global warming is proving something of a boon for archaeology, scientists said on Thursday.

The greenish-brown, loose-fitting outer clothing — suitable for a person up to about 5 feet, 9 inches tall (176 centimeters) — was found 6,560 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level on what may have been a Roman-era trade route in south Norway. Carbon dating showed it was made around the year 300.

http://science.nbcne...rchaeology?lite

Posted Image

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,635 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

I wonder if they found my wooden peg leg ...

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,340 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

That's too cool!

Now for my complaint.  From the article:

OSLO — A pre-Viking woolen tunic found beside a thawing glacier in south Norway shows how global warming is proving something of a boon for archaeology, scientists said on Thursday.

Also from the article:

"It's worrying that glaciers are melting, but it's exciting for us archaeologists,"

also this:

The shrinkage is blamed on climate change, stoked by human-caused emissions of greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels.

and this

The experts in Oslo said one puzzle was why anyone would take off a warm tunic by a glacier.
One possibility was that the owner was suffering from cold in a snowstorm and grew confused with hypothermia, which sometimes makes suffers take off clothing because they wrongly feel hot.

Oh come on!!!  If that's true where is the corpse?  Obviously this glacier has grown since this tunic was likey not left on the ice. As a matter of fact it was warm enough to take off your tunic right? My point being that glaciers ebb and flow like the tide of a more liquid form of water only much much more slowly.  Stop using every opportunity to try to make it seem as though soon there will be no ice in the world and how tragic this will be for all of us.  :td:

Edited by OverSword, 22 March 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,340 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Also, is it just me or does the scientist look like Sigourney Weaver?

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,085 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Sad the glaciers are melting but this is a great find, glad they found it before it start rotting.  I think they need to get busy and find some more artifacts before its too late.

I think she looks like Sigourney Weaver too.

#6    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,050 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Maybe there was a Sauna hut around there at the time ?.Don't these guys use Sauna's in the snow then run out butt nekid.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#7    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,764 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

See people its a cycle.  Global warming is a cycle. Glaciers will recede and advance.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#8    Oscar77

Oscar77

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

A more likely explanation is that it was a spare (or maybe being taken to sell) that fell out of someones pack.

#9    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,386 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostOscar77, on 23 March 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

A more likely explanation is that it was a spare (or maybe being taken to sell) that fell out of someones pack.

It still means that the glacier was this small before.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#10    Merc14

Merc14

Government Agent

• 3,394 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 23 March 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

See people its a cycle.  Global warming is a cycle. Glaciers will recede and advance.
You can't tax everyone if it is cyclical and normal, it has to be man-made so Al Gore can make another Billion.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,383 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

People have been known to take off clothes as they get confused as they freeze.  This could have happened and then he wandered off.  However, I like the "Oscar 77" answer (above) better.

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

That tunic has some skinny sleeves... Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken but it looks like a very wiry person wore it.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    draugr

draugr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

• It's a secret to everybody.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 23 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

That tunic has some skinny sleeves... Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken but it looks like a very wiry person wore it.

It being wool means it's probably a very stretchy fabric.  It was probably meant to fit very snugly.  

And looking at it, it almost looks like it's knitted in a rib stitch.  And if it's knit/woven in anything like that, it'll be super stretchy.

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,386 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

He may have simplyg changed and forgot it.  But, I don't see how.  Most peopler tadke a change cloths except for their coat.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,012 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I was wondering where I left that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users