Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UN urges people to eat insects

insects eat world hunger diet supplement

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,026 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Eating more insects could help fight world hunger, according to a new UN report.

The report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization says that eating insects could help boost nutrition and reduce pollution.

It notes than over 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diet with insects.

However it admits that "consumer disgust" remains a large barrier in many Western countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../world-22508439

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,790 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

.... reduce pollution???

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,026 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostKasey2601, on 13 May 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

.... reduce pollution???
It tells you in the link -

The ammonia emissions associated with insect-rearing are far lower than those linked to conventional livestock such as pigs, says the report.

Posted Image

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 13 May 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

It tells you in the link -

The ammonia emissions associated with insect-rearing are far lower than those linked to conventional livestock such as pigs, says the report.

Or don't eat meat full stop. LOL

I'm sure vegetables, nuts and fruit don't disgust people as much as insects.

http://michaelblueja...nvironment.html

Farming meat is really bad for the environment etc. Especially on the scale we do in the western world. It also leads to inhumane treatment of animals. The Meat industrial complex doesn't care about the treatment of the animals, they care about figures. Another reason they have been proven to lie and show false evidence of how you need meat in your diet etc.

If people want to eat meat that is their choice I won't tell people what to eat, people are free to choose what they eat. But nobody can say you need it to be healthy cause that has been proven false by thousands of people.

Edited by Coffey, 13 May 2013 - 09:58 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Don't think I could stand eating a insect.  If I'm in a restaurant and there's a roach in my food I'm sending it back.

#6    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostCoffey, on 13 May 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Or don't eat meat full stop. LOL

I'm sure vegetables, nuts and fruit don't disgust people as much as insects.

http://michaelblueja...nvironment.html

Farming meat is really bad for the environment etc. Especially on the scale we do in the western world. It also leads to inhumane treatment of animals. The Meat industrial complex doesn't care about the treatment of the animals, they care about figures. Another reason they have been proven to lie and show false evidence of how you need meat in your diet etc.

If people want to eat meat that is their choice I won't tell people what to eat, people are free to choose what they eat. But nobody can say you need it to be healthy cause that has been proven false by thousands of people.

Well said. The human digestive system is more like a herbivore than carnivore. I've been a vegetarian for around 8 years and I couldn't be any healthier. I thought it was common knowledge that vegetarians are almost always healthier than meat eaters but still people bang down the doors of McDonalds every day for some slaughtered chicken.  Likewise, I don't have a "problem" with meat eaters but I think if half people knew how that meat came to their table, they'd go veggie overnight. And those that do know the methods are either selfish or adopt the "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy. I wonder how many people would kill the animals themselves.

View PostHilander, on 13 May 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Don't think I could stand eating a insect.  If I'm in a restaurant and there's a roach in my food I'm sending it back.

Assuming you're not a vegetarian...difference between an insect and a chicken? Both living things.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 13 May 2013 - 10:18 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#7    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I recall reading somewhere that the average person will eat/swallow about 300 insects a year. 'Hmm yummy' :tu:

#8    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 13 May 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

Well said. The human digestive system is more like a herbivore than carnivore. I've been a vegetarian for around 8 years and I couldn't be any healthier. I thought it was common knowledge that vegetarians are almost always healthier than meat eaters but still people bang down the doors of McDonalds every day for some slaughtered chicken.  Likewise, I don't have a "problem" with meat eaters but I think if half people knew how that meat came to their table, they'd go veggie overnight. And those that do know the methods are either selfish or adopt the "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy. I wonder how many people would kill the animals themselves.

Completely agree. I kept going veggie then back again for about 6 years, then I watched "Earthlings" about 2 years ago and just went full vegetarian.

The animal killing thing is something I would only do ever for survival reasons and that's if I exhausted other options first. That is the reason we are able to eat meat, it was a survival thing and we certainly do not need to eat meat to survive now.

All those reasons you stated are why I don't eat meat. The whole industrial mass slaughter process reminds me of some disturbing death ritual. Completely unnessacary.

#9    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 13 May 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

I recall reading somewhere that the average person will eat/swallow about 300 insects a year. 'Hmm yummy' :tu:
Completely false. Your breath would be enough to scare off any insect that came close to your mouth. Quite a powerful blast to a little insect.

View PostCoffey, on 13 May 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Completely agree. I kept going veggie then back again for about 6 years, then I watched "Earthlings" about 2 years ago and just went full vegetarian.

The animal killing thing is something I would only do ever for survival reasons and that's if I exhausted other options first. That is the reason we are able to eat meat, it was a survival thing and we certainly do not need to eat meat to survive now.

All those reasons you stated are why I don't eat meat. The whole industrial mass slaughter process reminds me of some disturbing death ritual. Completely unnessacary.

I agree that it could be justified for survival if absolutely necessary. After all, that's what wild meat eaters do. They don't kill for the sake of it, they kill because they have nothing else that their digestive system will process but meat. Funny how some people talk like we're above animals when they're much more humane than we are at killing.

I think if aliens ever came across our planet, they'd be disgusted. The very thought of farming animals whose sole purpose of being alive (in appalling conditions for most) is to feed a selfish, ever more obese population of another animal sickens me. The problem is people think chickens, cows etc are somehow inferior to even domesticated animals like cats or dogs. We hear about Chinese eating dogs and we lecture. But it's okay to slaughter the chickens, cows, pigs and everything else we can get our hands on.

Can you say hypocrisy?

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 13 May 2013 - 11:22 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#10    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 13 May 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Completely false. Your breath would be enough to scare off any insect that came close to your mouth. Quite a powerful blast to a little insect.

Yeah that's true, I remember reading about that when I researched about the spider eating thing in our sleep.

I agree that it could be justified for survival if absolutely necessary. After all, that's what wild meat eaters do. They don't kill for the sake of it, they kill because they have nothing else that their digestive system will process but meat. Funny how some people talk like we're above animals when they're much more humane than we are at killing.

Completely agree. As higher beings we have a huge responsibility over the planet, it is a gift. Right now the majority of humanity is abusing this gift instead of using it.

I think if aliens ever came across our planet, they'd be disgusted. The very thought of farming animals whose sole purpose of being alive (in appalling conditions for most) is to feed a selfish, ever more obese population of another animal sickens me. The problem is people think chickens, cows etc are somehow inferior to even domesticated animals like cats or dogs. We hear about Chinese eating dogs and we lecture. But it's okay to slaughter the chickens, cows, pigs and everything else we can get our hands on.

Can you say hypocrisy?

I know right. lol The funny thing is if aliens more intelligent than us came here and done it to us using the same excuses we do. We would think they are evil monsters. lol That always makes me laugh. You should always look at it from different perspectives like that to realise how wrong it is.

#11    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostCoffey, on 13 May 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

Yeah that's true, I remember reading about that when I researched about the spider eating thing in our sleep.

Completely agree. As higher beings we have a huge responsibility over the planet, it is a gift. Right now the majority of humanity is abusing this gift instead of using it.

I know right. lol The funny thing is if aliens more intelligent than us came here and done it to us using the same excuses we do. We would think they are evil monsters. lol That always makes me laugh. You should always look at it from different perspectives like that to realise how wrong it is.

:tu: @ all, especially your last paragraph. It's only when you actually take a step back and look at what's happening that you realise that it's not right.

#12    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 13 May 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

Assuming you're not a vegetarian...difference between an insect and a chicken? Both living things.

Actually we are omnivores: we can eat vegetables and meat, and that's why we look how we look..

If we were true herbivores, we'd have bellies like a gorilla or a horse.

=

You're a vegetarian, but not from birth.

difference between an insect and a chicken? Both living things.

Btw,  you're a vegetarian, do you also eat wood? It's also living tissue and from a plant...

Edited by Abramelin, 14 May 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#13    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Not all insects fly. You eat their larvae which are always present in/on vegetables which are not sprayed with some chemical.

And then there are slugs that are present on the green leaves of vegetables.

You will probably not believe how many larvae and slugs you have eaten (cooked or raw) during your life

#14    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 14 May 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

Actually we are omnivores: we can eat vegetables and meat, and that's why we look how we look..

If we were true herbivores, we'd have bellies like a gorilla or a horse.

=

You're a vegetarian, but not from birth.

difference between an insect and a chicken? Both living things.

Btw,  you're a vegetarian, do you also eat wood? It's also living tissue and from a plant...

We are more herbivore than carnivore which was his point. We capable of eating meat for survival, we don't need it to live. Where as we need fruit or vegetables to live. That is how we are designed.

Plants and trees etc are not living in the sense he means. They don't have a brain that thinks or feels like mammals, insects and fish etc.

#15    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostCoffey, on 14 May 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

We are more herbivore than carnivore which was his point. We capable of eating meat for survival, we don't need it to live. Where as we need fruit or vegetables to live. That is how we are designed.

Plants and trees etc are not living in the sense he means. They don't have a brain that thinks or feels like mammals, insects and fish etc.

Herbivore ------ omnivore ------ carnivore. So yes, we are more herbivore than carnivore: we are omnivores.

Herbivores do not need to cook their food first, but we humans have done that for many tens of thousands of years. Proof of that is the reduced size of our teeth and jaws.

You can live on mainly animal flesh, but that means you have to eat the organs too, not just the meat. Organs like for instance the liver and kidneys contain all the vitamins and nutrients we need, and that's how the Inuit have lived and survived for thousands of years.

Plants and trees are living beings, they sense, and they can do a lot more (see other thread in the Natural forum here). That they don't have a nervous system doesn't automatically mean that we can tell how they "experience" life; we have not the slightest clue.

Btw, here's a video of a deer turning carnivore (I have seen cows do the same):

Edited by Abramelin, 14 May 2013 - 09:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users