Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alcohol and diet soda may be a bad mix

BiffSplitkins

Saving calories at the bar may not be a good thing.

Researchers gave college students vodka drinks with regular soda and with diet soda, and the diet soda group got more intoxicated, faster - about 20% more intoxicated than those who mixed regular soda with liquor, according to research published Tuesday in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. Sugar in your mixed drink actually slows down the effects of alcohol, researchers say.

The study

Though it was a very small study, only eight women and eight men, the findings closely match previous research linking diet drinks and increased alcohol levels in the body.

READ MORE

I know diet soda seems a bit more carbonated than regular soda to me as well. I wonder if that is a factor?

• Like 1

I had never heard of this before, thanks. Personally I am not a fan of any soda, sugar or otherwise, because it hurts my stomach. I prefer to mix my vodka or tequila with fruit juice or Ovaltine (with milk of course) or Ensure (lol) or even coffee or tea (some might say yuck with the tea).

• Like 1

Was reading this yesterday,i do not drink any soda"s just drink my drink of choice straight maybe a little ice every now and then

• Like 1

Something tells me that college students might actually be *wanting* to get more intoxicated quicker? In fact, I'd be willing to put down good money that this is indeed the case.

• Like 2

I haven't had a soft drink in years, diet or otherwise. They are all over Vietnam and the "energy drinks" are popular. As far as I can see, all you do is dump a load of sugar into your bloodstream and then flood yourself with adrenalin. Bound to do harm sooner or later.

As I have been informed, the low-cal drinks fool the brain's satiety senses, and the body makes up for it later so that you do more harm than good.

• Like 3

I know diet soda seems a bit more carbonated than regular soda to me as well. I wonder if that is a factor?

You may have something there.

For myself, I always noticed how I would get buzzed much quicker with champagne than from a higher alcohol content non-carnbonated liquor.

I always assumed as well that it was the carbonation somehow getting the alcohol quicker in my system. But I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know?

• Like 1

You may have something there.

For myself, I always noticed how I would get buzzed much quicker with champagne than from a higher alcohol content non-carnbonated liquor.

I always assumed as well that it was the carbonation somehow getting the alcohol quicker in my system. But I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know?

Not sure how reliable this source is (the healthy drinker?..LOL) but it does make a bit of sense.

Article

• Like 1

Good article read. Makes sense now.

• Like 1