Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would religion survive alien contact ?

UM-Bot

If we were to ever have direct contact with an intelligent alien race what would happen to our world's religions ? It is a question that has often been asked in association with ideas of alien contact. Would beliefs be so shaken that some faiths might actually collapse in light of such an event ? Would learning about the religion of an advanced alien culture potentially bolster some belief systems ?

"Could the world's religions survive the discovery of extraterrestrial life? Or would their beliefs be so shaken that they would eventually collapse? A survey discussed on Tuesday at a meeting on the search for alien life at the Royal Society in London suggests religion would survive."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New Scientist

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WoIverine

• zenfahr

• danielost

• Child of the light

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all know if alien life was to be discovered, the religious folks would add it to their lil story book and say thats where Jesus been this whole time making more beings :lol:

lets be honest with ourselves... would losing religon be all that bad?.

it could be a problem to religion because most people believe that God created the earth and humans after his form and aliens are not created in his, this could prove to be a problem to some religions and even to chrustians who have little faith :( but I will stay true to God until the very end may there be aliens or not :innocent:

Religion is only a belief to guide people,it's all it is,they would have to accept it

Edited by Lust

If your religion is true, you have nothing to worry about. I can't think of ANY religion who denies the existance of any other beings in the universe. Nowhere in the Bible does it say, or even hint at, the idea that other life forms couldn't exist. Nearly all religions believe in various forms of angels. Whose to say those things they call "angels" are not what science sees as "aliens"? Of course religions would survive (though most probably hope it doesn't)! Some beliefs might change (though there is nothing in the Bible that would need to be changed), but I would bet no particular religion needs to worry.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of so called spiritual leaders out there would be crapping their pants. But that's only because they think their own view of the Bible is the correct one. So while they might be out of a job, the religions themselves would do just fine (probably better without them).

By the way, I'm willing to bet the Christians, Mormons, and JW's would immediately try to convert the aliens! lol. Who knows, maybe we'll see aliens in churches in the future!

But seriously, if there is a God (and I happen to believe there is...though that doesn't make it so), maybe we can learn more about Him from them, right?

If we have irrefutable proof,Religion will take its own way and Aliens will take its own way

Thanks

B???

By the way, I'm willing to bet the Christians, Mormons, and JW's would immediately try to convert the aliens! lol.

PSSSSST

Migzilla...

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses ARE Christians, just different denominations.

Religion would be fine and well if not more so as the Vatican has already said that alien life most likly is probable. Just think a whole new race/species to convert LOL

I think the aliens would fit right in with most Pagan religions. Most Pagans believe the aliens are here now anyway. I would welcome any wisdom or knowledge they would have to offer. My religion is very open to science and new discoveries.

lets be honest with ourselves... would losing religon be all that bad?.

I was thinking the same thing.

If we were to ever have direct contact with an intelligent alien race what would happen to our world's religions ? It is a question that has often been asked in association with ideas of alien contact. Would beliefs be so shaken that some faiths might actually collapse in light of such an event ? Would learning about the religion of an advanced alien culture potentially bolster some belief systems ?

"Could the world's religions survive the discovery of extraterrestrial life? Or would their beliefs be so shaken that they would eventually collapse? A survey discussed on Tuesday at a meeting on the search for alien life at the Royal Society in London suggests religion would survive."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: New Scientist

Religion has done alot of good in the world yes it has been corrupted by man for evil but everything humans touche is. No it wouldn't bother me.

I think the "son of man" and "for all mankind" references in the Bible make the legends species specific. So it would still work. Little did those ancient scribes who penned the Bible realize that they were putting a loophole in there for themselves when they said "for all mankind" instead of "for all sentient life".

I wonder for how long aliens existed? maybe Migzilla is right, if aliens did live long enough and existed at the time that the stories from the Bible were still being fulfilled then IF we ever come into contact with them they might be able to tell us of it... but that's just a theory

I wonder for how long aliens existed? maybe Migzilla is right, if aliens did live long enough and existed at the time that the stories from the Bible were still being fulfilled then IF we ever come into contact with them they might be able to tell us of it... but that's just a theory

That would be fascinating. It would also be a tremndous ego blow to mankind I suspect.

Yes, religion would survive with alien contact. Perhaps we may even learn that alien contact was taking place in the Bible itself, also while it was being written.

Has anyone heard the "out there" theories about grey aliens supposedly being avatars, or a possible slave race for demonic entities since they cannot physically operate in our realm? It goes further to suppose that Satan and his fallen angels are at the top of the pyramid of suggested alien races. How supposedly their ultimate goal is to avoid a punishing defeat by God by arming mankind with numerous technological and advanced weapons systems, which God ultimately destroys upon return to Earth during the last days. In essence using humanity to wage war for them against humanity's own creator.

I've read some weird crap theories here and there, not that there's any truth to them, I did think it was pretty funny though how some people stray waaaaaaaaaay off the normalcy path. lol

Edited by SpiderCyde

it would depend on what we learned from the aliens. if we learned beyond the shadow of a doubt that all earth religions where false i would have no prob with it. im sure it would cause all new wars tho. non believers against the believers. it also leaves new space religions to spring up. i bet it would be just as fraggeled up as it is now.

I curtainly hope that religion would not crash. Humans ar hard wired to want to believe in something, so if religion crashed, then people would turn to the aliens for all their ethics and wisdom, basically humans would hand themselves over to the aliens and do whatever the aliens wanted, probably put up Alien Assembly Centers every couple blocks so that people could learn about the aliens from "official" Alien representatives. You would just trade one for the other, not remove that impulse from humanity. Probably this would drive the aliens off and make the Earth into a world wide Cargo Cult.

By the way, I'm willing to bet the Christians, Mormons, and JW's would immediately try to convert the aliens! lol. Who knows, maybe we'll see aliens in churches in the future!

You are definately right. Strongly religous missonaries of all faiths would want to go and teach their ethics, views and lifestyles to the new people.

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses ARE Christians, just different denominations.

Actually, technically they are not. Most Catholics and Protestants do not regard the Jehovah's Witness and Mormons as Christians, but consider them as cults. They call themselves Christians, but few Christians do. If you want to refer to a cult that is derived from Christianity a denomination, you are free to do so.

http://cnview.com/on_line_resources/are_mormons_christian.htm

http://www.carm.org/is-the-jehovahs-witness-religion-christian

Buddhist have held the believe that our spirit is much older than the planet itself. That we have been reincarnated time and again. Here and on other worlds. There are also legends in Nepal, that talk about a time when humans lived in the trees, before eventually coming down. So I can see why it would probally not be a real shock to thier system if Aliens did land. As for some of the Christians religions, I think that it would be hard to accept, especally when you are so used to drinking the blood and eating the flesh of your god every sunday. And yeah I bet they would try to convert.

Zenfahr I am a christiane and I can honestly say that I doubt that we would try to convert an alien species into one of us, we would rather wait and see if they would except our religion and if they didn't then thats ok after all we cant force anyone,not even aliens into worshiping God, its a life choice that you have to make to serve Him. ^_^

alien-pope.jpg

Yup

:blink: That is Creepy!! :no: And just not right!

Theistic religion is our way of understanding things we cannot yet explain. Anything that we are unable to understand - historically; we say that a giant man/person did it.

Edited by GhostWhisper

Religion has done alot of good in the world yes it has been corrupted by man for evil but everything humans touche is. No it wouldn't bother me.

I would have to organized religion has done a lot more harm than good to the world.