Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The United Nations Wants Your Guns America

gun control un united nations arms trade treaty arms treaty

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#61    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

i find it incredibly stupid how americans will jump on the 'defend my home and family' bandwagon when justifying why they need a firearm.
seems to me that the firearms are causing more trouble than the crimes that they are supposed to defend against.
how many of your children have to die accidentally? how many of your teens are going to murder someone or themselves? how many stolen or lost guns will turn up in the hands of criminals? how many americans wake up every day willing to murder in the name of personal safety?
if you look at other countries that aren't so hell bent on owning guns you will notice that they don't have the problems that americans think they will have if they didn't.
here in canada we don't have guns in every hand and we also don't have people breaking into our homes and murdering us. lucky us eh?

Edited by JGirl, 16 July 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#62    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostSheetz, on 14 July 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

An armed society is a polite society
this is one of the stupidest things i've read here in a while.

#63    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostJGirl, on 16 July 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

this is one of the stupidest things i've read here in a while.

And a mostly polite conversation goes down the tubes....

#64    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 July 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

And a mostly polite conversation goes down the tubes....
apparently, had we all been sporting a gun this would never happen
we rude canadians and our gunless attitudes. for shame.

#65    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostJGirl, on 16 July 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

apparently, had we all been sporting a gun this would never happen
we rude canadians and our gunless attitudes. for shame.

Don't put words in my mouth. I would never generalize all Canadians because of the bad attitude of a few. :rolleyes:

#66    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 July 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I would never generalize all Canadians because of the bad attitude of a few. :rolleyes:
i put no words in your mouth michelle.
my attitude echoes much of the country's attitude about this particular subject.
you needn't wag your bony finger at me in any case. it doesn't make your case any stronger.
perhaps you should pull a gun on me. i might be persuaded.

#67    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostJGirl, on 16 July 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

perhaps you should pull a gun on me. i might be persuaded.

The only reason some people are alive is because it's illegal to shoot them. :D

#68    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 July 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

The only reason some people are alive is because it's illegal to shoot them. :D
i daresay, spoken like a true american

#69    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,318 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

Enough already. I wish people would realize that Canadians and Americans are more alike than they are different.

I can’t speak for my entire country, nobody can. Personally, I do not like guns. I do not understand the gun culture, have no urge to own a gun and discouraged my son playing with toy guns.

iheartsugarbear

#70    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,728 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Everybody debate nice please :)

I'm a U.S. folk, and yes, I do own a couple guns. I usually only use them for target practice- but then I also practice marksmanship with a bow, crossbow, and a handful of other weapons too. Honestly, a gun would be the last thought on my mind for protecting my hearth and kin. I'd be more likely to go for a meathook or blade, or whatever other weapon is handy. I'm an odd gal, I like to have a lot of odd weapons.
And I'm cruel and vindictive. If someone attacks me or mine, I would much rather maim them for life and see them sent to prison than kill them. Shooting them often reduces the chances of that happening.

Soooo, back to the OP action. I think perhaps this is the anticipated 2012 UN meeting/summit/whatever on arms. If so, it kicked of in 2006, and there's been meetings about it ever since. If I'm recalling correctly from the 2010 reports about this, the UN isn't trying to take away citizens guns so much as they are trying to regulate gun trade between nations. And yes, in some ways that could affect a U.S. citizens capability to procure firearms in some instances due to trade sources and agreements. But to my understanding, no, it isn't supposed to directly affect U.S. second amendment rights to have firearms.
I could very well be wrong though if my memory isn't serving me correctly.

#71    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,427 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostJGirl, on 16 July 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

i find it incredibly stupid how americans will jump on the 'defend my home and family' bandwagon when justifying why they need a firearm.
seems to me that the firearms are causing more trouble than the crimes that they are supposed to defend against.
how many of your children have to die accidentally? how many of your teens are going to murder someone or themselves? how many stolen or lost guns will turn up in the hands of criminals? how many americans wake up every day willing to murder in the name of personal safety?
if you look at other countries that aren't so hell bent on owning guns you will notice that they don't have the problems that americans think they will have if they didn't.
here in canada we don't have guns in every hand and we also don't have people breaking into our homes and murdering us. lucky us eh?

I find it worse that one Canadian would lump all of us Americans together because some of us own one or more guns. It must be nice not to have crime in Canada. :lol:

I myself have a rifle for two reasons. 1) Because I have a right to own one, but more importantly 2) because it was given to me by my father before he passed away. Would I use it to defend my house and home? Hell, yeah. But someone attempting a break in has just as likely a chance of being sliced and diced as they do of getting shot. Doesn't matter either way. End result's the same.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#72    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 16 July 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

I find it worse that one Canadian would lump all of us Americans together because some of us own one or more guns. It must be nice not to have crime in Canada. :lol:

I myself have a rifle for two reasons. 1) Because I have a right to own one, but more importantly 2) because it was given to me by my father before he passed away. Would I use it to defend my house and home? Hell, yeah. But someone attempting a break in has just as likely a chance of being sliced and diced as they do of getting shot. Doesn't matter either way. End result's the same.

cormac
obviously i did not get specific enough and put the word 'some' in my post- my apologies for being the first one to ever do that on these boards - however you will notice that i did not say 'all' americans.
i was referring to those who specifically use the excuse of defending their homes etc. as a justification for having a firearm.

sigh
in any case, we have far far less violent crimes, especially those involving firearms than the united states.

Edited by JGirl, 16 July 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#73    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Former shooter here.. and a former gun owner as well..

I dont need a gun to protect my family if someone breaks in :) I have a nice collection of swords (medieval recreationist here).. all in lovely display boards around the house.. and all within easy reach..

#74    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 1,657 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

The murder rate in the US is four times that of UK and Australia. And yet they can own guns to protect themselves. Something doesn't fit here.

For those that defend their constitutional rights - does it ever occur to you that your insistence on maintaining this right is actually part of the problem? And, how many murders have been prevented by people owning guns? Is it more than the number of kids that have accidentally shot someone?

#75    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

Dirt Eater

• 1,174 posts

• Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

I have a Saiga 12ga semi auto with a 20 round drum. I'd like to make it fully auto someday. Gives plinking a whole new meaning.

BTW, Obama has been following the GOP and NRA's position on gun control 101%. (As in no new gun control or ownership restrictions) The blue hats can suck it. And if we wanted to, we could take Canada with nothing but pistols and bullwhips. ETA: So be nice to us Canadia.. :gun: .

Edited by Framling, 17 July 2012 - 12:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users