Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moon landing tapes got erased, NASA admits

Daughter of the Nine Moons

Moon landing tapes got erased, NASA admits By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The original recordings of the first humans landing on the moon 40 years ago were erased and re-used, but newly restored copies of the original broadcast look even better, NASA officials said on Thursday.

NASA released the first glimpses of a complete digital make-over of the original landing footage that clarifies the blurry and grainy images of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the surface of the moon.

The full set of recordings, being cleaned up by Burbank, California-based Lowry Digital, will be released in September.

linked-imageRead more...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• TALM

• oldie

• Enigma wrapped in a puzzle

Really?..is NASA that careless??..they don't have these tapes all locked up safe...thats sad

Wow. You would think the one big thing NASA is known for would be saved. I wonder what they taped over it for.

This is something that totally puzzles me. NASA does absolutely nothing to deflect the conspiracy theorists, something like this only adds weight to their claims! Why would they delete footage of one of the most scientifically important events in human history. Thats way beyond careless!

This is something that totally puzzles me. NASA does absolutely nothing to deflect the conspiracy theorists, something like this only adds weight to their claims! Why would they delete footage of one of the most scientifically important events in human history. Thats way beyond careless!

Exactly, this stuff is getting silly. There is no way NASA would misplace or tape over the first moon walk! C'mon people! Obviously they are hiding something...But what gets me is most people wouldn't think much of this.

You guys should watch Penn and Tellers Bullsh*t: Episode NASA. Wild and they love nasa but theres a lot of crap going on there that shouldn't be.

Wow. You would think the one big thing NASA is known for would be saved. I wonder what they taped over it for.

apparently they ran it back and it was taped over with the 1974 Morecombe and Wise Christmas Special

:D

Now MASA even fails in the dimensions of security........What am I to make of it?

Will they guard their own systems atleast?

Thanks

B???

Exactly, this stuff is getting silly. There is no way NASA would misplace or tape over the first moon walk! C'mon people! Obviously they are hiding something...But what gets me is most people wouldn't think much of this.

Agreed! And why would we be impressed by copies of the original tapes being touched up by 21st century technology? It wont take away the FACT that the footage is highly suspicious in the first place. Do you think now the lander will move some dust when it blasts off the surface. It would be like digitally remastering an episode of thunderbirds!

Edited by debunker09

This isnt exactly new news, my dad b****es to me everyday about how NASA lost the original moon landing tapes and how some guy in parks (australia) has a backup recording of it. Their not hiding anything, NASA have asked this dude in australia for the copy he has. NASA (and people in general) make stupid mistakes all the time, its not exactly earth shattering or a conspiracy.

apparently they ran it back and it was taped over with the 1974 Morecombe and Wise Christmas Special

A show worth saving for the ages.

Oddly, I wouldn't have a problem with that! :D

Nothing fishy about this at all???

Top 3 most historical events in mankind history and they taped over it? I think that this is absolutly a ridiculous reason to make a lie to hide the truth.

NASA Conversation:

Nasa employee 1- Hey we are out of tape and we need to record this frog floating in our anti gravity field.

Nasa employee 2- Jeez I guess we can use these tapes labled "Can never be duplicated actual original moon landing space walk" doesn't sound to important.....

The reason it has been erased is because if we looked at the original tapes with a questioning eye I think we would find things that no one originally questioned. There is more to this story and the master of BS MID will come in here in a minute and help with NASA's coverup. All the sheep just listen to what MID has to say on it he will put your worried little heads to rest on what to believe.

The reason it has been erased is because if we looked at the original tapes with a questioning eye I think we would find things that no one originally questioned.

Yep.

First they said they were lost and then found in some old storage closet. Now they have been erased?? I mean seriously whats the deal with this. How are we not suppose to question the truth behind this?

I have home movies of my two kids in higher security than the moon landing tapes. Something is wrong here.

I heard this last night. The BIGGEST thing that has ever happened to NASA and they erase half of it. Way to go, NASA.

At least there's some tapes left of it. T-T

I bet the new footage will make the strings easier to see :P.

I didn't know they were so cheap, why erase a heap of video recordings and stuff, its history..

Edited by Blueguardian

Or the answer could be that the tapes are alive and well in a vault somewhere because if they were to show them, it would show what is really on the surface, and of course NASA cant do this.

So what better way to supress it than to say that the tapes do not exist anymore. Trust me when I say that NASA would have never made the mistake of erasing over the tapes. Seriously, do you buy it for one minute that NASA was so hard up for tape that they had to erase over these tapes.

Come on..............were not talking about a kid erasing over his Loverboy tape because he finally discovered Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

Edited by TALM

Stuff Happens. The BBC erased years of the original Doctor Who series just to save money. They did not realize that they could have made millions on DVD sales and syndication.

how can you people really be surprised that NASA is this careless. what with all of the billions of dollars worth of equipment that end up not working when they reach their destination and all

Stuff Happens. The BBC erased years of the original Doctor Who series just to save money. They did not realize that they could have made millions on DVD sales and syndication.

You can not possibly be comparing Doctor Who and the moon landings of equal importance??

Edited by Enigma wrapped in a puzzle

I always loved that story that NASA spend near a million developing a pen so they could write in space

And all the russians did was use a pencil

Dnt know if it true but

I think taping over the most important thing they,ve done is priceless

My point is that most people do not think of the consequences of their actions at that moment in history. No one thinks that what they do in the present affects events thirty or forty years in the future. Losing years of Doctor Who episodes is a big deal to a lot of people.

Edited by oldie