Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Comedy Show?

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Mine are...

Parks and Recreation

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Trailer Park Boys

Futurama

The League

Tim and Eric' Awesome Show Good Job!

American Dad/Family Guy (Rarely)

The Office (British and American)

Edited by Shrine Builder
  • Like 2

The Kids in the Hall

MST3K (I think that counts)

News Radio

The Mighty Boosh

Dr Katz

The Office (BRITISH)

Bob's Burgers

Edit to add:

Community

Go On (how this was cancelled last year, I'll never know: it was owning Community's season 4 several times over)

You lost me on that one...

Let me light the way: Big Bang Theory is a horrible show. Like everything by Chuck Lorre.

Edited by The Widow Funky
  • Like 1

We don't get American broadcast channels here (although we do get the cable news networks), so I am not familiar with most of these shows. However when I was in the States this summer I did get to watch a few episodes of "Big Bang Theory." Sheer genius -- in plotting, dialog, and most significantly, in funny (really funny) but believable characters.

We don't get American broadcast channels here (although we do get the cable news networks), so I am not familiar with most of these shows. However when I was in the States this summer I did get to watch a few episodes of "Big Bang Theory." Sheer genius -- in plotting, dialog, and most significantly, in funny (really funny) but believable characters.

Actually, Lorre doesn't really understand his characters. Last season, Leonard was reading Harry Potter and Sheldon (spoilers!) mentions that Dumbledore died - a fact that Leonard, who is on the Internet all the time (I mean, that's his character, as a 'nerd') would have been WELL aware of before sitting down to finally read that book (finally). That's the point when I gave up on the show. He gave up his integrity as a writer for a cheap laugh (not for the first time). I don't like blatantly sloppy writing, and that moment was a freaking slap in the face.

Lorre's whole schtik has been to go after a niche of people and make fun of it. I loved Mike and Molly, until I realized (a few episodes in) that it was basically built as an excuse to make fat jokes in an socially acceptable manor. And that's the same for Big Bang Theory. It's the same joke, over and over: nerds are weird. And don't even get me started on Sheldon: he was obviously written to have some kind of disorder and it's never addressed.

Do yourself a favor and watch Community, Frank Merton: the whole team there knows how to do comedy, and they do it well.

Do yourself a favor and watch Community, Frank Merton: the whole team there knows how to do comedy, and they do it well.

I think you are a bit snobbish and don't understand the idea of caricature, and even the humor in the inconsistency you mention went right over your head.

MST3K (I think that counts)

mst3k has to count, otherwise i shall have nothing to do with this topic, do you hear me? nothing.

oh and also i guess i have other favorites. such as:

home movies

arrested development

someone mentioned fawlty towers already, but it bears mentioning again.

jeeves and wooster (with stephen fry and hugh laurie) was just about perfect

and a lot of others that just don't come to mind, i'm sure.

I tend to like a lot of adult oriented cartoons:

Archer

Venture Brothers

Bob's Burgers

Futurama

Home Movies

And I even like some of the 15 minutes running cartoons like Squidbillies, ATHF,and Metalocolypse. At times I also like SouthPark, but sometimes they cross the line with me too. I'd say I like 80% of their episodes.

I guess I really like any animated series which features H Jon Benjamin or Brendon Small and/or Patrick Warburton or all three.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the new season on FXX is hilarious!)

The League (I don't even like football! But this show is so offensive and outrageous it's hilarious!)

Wilfred

Big Bang Theory

Legit with Jim Jefferies can be uncomfortably hysterical

I'm sure there are others I like, but since I don't watch a ton of TV, I can't really think of them right now. LOL.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1

Ah, I forgot about Archer. I love that show so much.

DANGERZONEEEEE

• Like 1

Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

• Spaced (RIP)
  • Eastbound & Down
  • It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
  • Arrested Development
  • South Park
  • The League
  • Archer
  • Futurama (RIP)
  • The Eric Andre Show
  • King of the Hill (RIP)

Spaced is my all time favorite comedy, however.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi
  • Like 1