Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Messed up" family entertainment.

Paranoid Android

I thought I'd start this thread to discuss alleged "family programming" that is actually quite messed up and would likely scar any young child watching it.

It's tempting to start my comments with Pan's Labyrinth, but it's not aimed at children, even if many parents were misguided, so I don't think it right to use it.

So I just finished watching Disney's "A Christmas Carol" starring Jim Carrey. It was on TV last week, so I recorded it. And it's frakking messed up. I know it has a PG-rating, but how many parents took their kids to see it? I can only say that this is seriously not family viewing. The fact that it's Disney and heralded with Jim Carrey (despite critical acclaim for drama, still a name associated with slapstick), the advertising campaign was certainly plugging the family demographic.

I'll also give an honourable mention to Watership Down which messed me up as a kid.

So what "family entertainment" have you seen that is just messed up crazy crud?

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

Watership Down? With the bunnies? Well, frankly all those "fairy tales", particularly the ones from the brothers Grimm, are all pretty dark really aren't they. If parents stopped to consider what actually happens in them, I'm pretty sure they'd think twice about putting them forward as Family entertainment.

• Like 1

Pixar Studios and Dreamworks is the safest and nearest to family fare I dare to put forward nowadays ...

• Like 1

Kids are there to work, not watch TV.

Give them a hard-bristled broom and shove them up the chimney, I say.

Bah, humbug! <_<

:P

• Like 5

I don't have a particular show in mind but a NEW channel-wide messed up family programming decision I despise:

I have always felt safe with and that my kids or any kids could learn something from The Food Network and HGTV and DIY and The Cooking Channel.

But other channels are now advertising their programs on these family friendly channels. So between how to install a wood floor and redecorating your bedroom we are bombarded with trashy trailers for trashy reality TV on other channels.

Money money money money. Disgusting, imo.

It seems that the entertainment world goes through cycles of types of programming... In the 50's (In the US) it was westerns, then the 60's it was Doctor shows and Private Investigators.... Then Sitcoms...

I was always happy when these cycles changed because I was always sick and tired of the current cycle - except "Reality" TV shows - I was sick of them from the first... and I will be ecstatic when "reality TV" dies the horrible death it deserves...

I doubt 'reality TV' will go away anytime soon ... too many desires that minute to fame ... or infamy ...

~

I'm not talking about reality TV!. I'm talking about movies or shows that appear marketed as "Family Entertainment", or even "Children's Television", but once watched is obviously messed up for kids to even watch. Reality TV is just an annoying fad that won't go away.

Coraline also falls into my definition of a messed up family program. I loved the movie, but I wouldn't let my kids watch it (assuming I had kids).