Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Router issues

Wordless Wanderer

I am using an Asus wireless router and using a Netgear wifi adapter for the computer. When I am using the internet, it keeps disconnecting randomly and when I check the wifi adapter sometimes my router's is in the available connections list and sometimes it isn't. It reconnects on its own after some time, sometimes as soon as a minute and sometimes as long as 20 minutes. At first I thought something is wrong with the wifi adapter so I switched on my laptop and noticed that the same was happening to the laptop as well. My desktop is about around 18-20 feet away from the router. I've tried changing the channel of the router to an isolated one but that doesn't help. It is very very infuriating. Any suggestions as to how I can fix that? I've connected the laptop with the ethernet wire and it works fine, so its not the connection.

See its not just the computer that's facing the problem, it happens even if I use my laptop. Nonetheless, yes I have tried switching the adapter to a different port, infact I've used every damn port. The router has a WPA personal key.

When it gets disconnected and I check my adapter, I can see other connections (Oh and I live in an apartment complex) and my router's SSID is visible for a few seconds and then it disappears. Then I have to wait for it to get reconnected. The same happens when I am using my laptop

maybe the router is beside a heat source or too many people using it, so it turn off Wifi when it's heated, and turn's on when it cool down

also you might want to sit the (ip) distribution into Manual, especially if there is many people is using the router

maybe the router is beside a heat source or too many people using it, so it turn off Wifi when it's heated, and turn's on when it cool down

also you might want to sit the (ip) distribution into Manual, especially if there is many people is using the router

The router's not beside a heat source. Its on a nice wooden side table with books on the side. There's only one person using the router (me) and only one computer is attached to it at a time

Huh.. (scratching my head, thinking, lol). How about reseting everything, unplug your router and/or modem for 1 or 2 minutes and your computer too? I hope it works for you

Lol. It got disconnected while I was typing the reply. I've tried resetting everything. That's like the first thing I do when something is wrong. Lol. I'm this close to throwing the router outta my window from the fourth floor

Hate to say it, but it could just be a busted router. I had a problem that was similar with an old router of mine. Got a new one and no problems since.

Lol. It got disconnected while I was typing the reply. I've tried resetting everything. That's like the first thing I do when something is wrong. Lol. I'm this close to throwing the router outta my window from the fourth floor

if you are near throwing it away then you can experiment with it a littel bit even though we might lose you for ever lol, but i wanna ask you first, is this device is the one that have the DSL or what ever connected to it ?

Hate to say it, but it could just be a busted router. I had a problem that was similar with an old router of mine. Got a new one and no problems since.

But but I just bought it :cry:

if you are near throwing it away then you can experiment with it a littel bit even though we might lose you for ever lol, but i wanna ask you first, is this device is the one that have the DSL or what ever connected to it ?

Yes it is.

But but I just bought it :cry:

If you JUST just bought it, take it back and try to exchange it.

Failing that, fill it full of explosives and blow that sh!@ up.

If you JUST just bought it, take it back and try to exchange it.

Failing that, fill it full of explosives and blow that sh!@ up.

Okay Okay-meme.jpg (although I do think there's some setting that needs to fiddled with)

I'll look up where to get nitroglycerin for the explosion part.

• Like 1

Okay Okay-meme.jpg (although I do think there's some setting that needs to fiddled with)

I'll look up where to get nitroglycerin for the explosion part.

Did you try updating your drivers for your wireless card? That helps sometimes.

Also, go to "Manage wireless networks" and remove your network from the list. Your network may be the only one on there if you've never connected to another network. Then try reconnecting to it. That also sometimes solves the problem.

Router problems come from all kinds of crap. Could be something as simple as changing a channel setting to get rid of interference.

Edit. You could always reset the router settings with the little tiny button on the back and see if that works. Of course, you've have to set up a password and etc after you do that.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Did you try updating your drivers for your wireless card? That helps sometimes.

Also, go to "Manage wireless networks" and remove your network from the list. Your network may be the only one on there if you've never connected to another network. Then try reconnecting to it. That also sometimes solves the problem.

Router problems come from all kinds of crap. Could be something as simple as changing a channel setting to get rid of interference.

Edit. You could always reset the router settings with the little tiny button on the back and see if that works. Of course, you've have to set up a password and etc after you do that.

I've done all of the above. Spoke to a friend and he said I have to change some setting in the administrator settings in the control panel. Bloody idiot is on a flight. He didn't even tell me which setting to change.

I've done all of the above. Spoke to a friend and he said I have to change some setting in the administrator settings in the control panel. Bloody idiot is on a flight. He didn't even tell me which setting to change.

Go to "Mange Wireless Networks"

If you see your wireless network listed, right-click on its icon and click Properties. Check the option "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)."

If you don't see your wireless network listed, click "Add" then select "Manually connect to a wireless network" and put your wireless information in. That SHOULD solve the conection issues when your network is not broadcasting its SSID.

I've also had problems with cable line splitters. The last time I had cable installed the guy switched the coax cables between the modem and the cable box. If you have splitters on your cable line make sure that there are no open connections.

Ok just did that. Now I just have to wait and see if I get disconnected again. Thanks :D

• Like 1

Ok just did that. Now I just have to wait and see if I get disconnected again. Thanks :D

Good luck. :tu: Let me know if it keeps dropping. I might be able to come up with a few more fixes.

I downloaded that yesterday :P Most of the networks around me have 1, 6 and 11 as their channels. I changed mine to 12 yesterday

I downloaded that yesterday :P Most of the networks around me have 1, 6 and 11 as their channels. I changed mine to 12 yesterday

Always one step ahead...

Let's hope you stay connected.

Always one step ahead...

Let's hope you stay connected.

Since I did the manage wireless network thing, it hasn't disconnected till now. Let's hope it stays that way

• Like 1

Since I did the manage wireless network thing, it hasn't disconnected till now. Let's hope it stays that way

So it did disconnect again?

Every once in a while it's going to disconnect. It could be something on your end or on your providers end, but it will happen from time to time. Hopefully you won't just drop your network when it stops broadcasting it's SSID. Not sure why it keeps doing that, though.

No no it hasn't. I meant as of now its going smooth

No no it hasn't. I meant as of now its going smooth

Okay, cool. Check your router settings and try to re enable SSID broadcasting. Having it disabled can cause connectivity issues, as you've seen, and it's a complete myth that having it disabled provides more security. You can still easily find the networks that don't broadcast. If broadcasting is enabled, then you probably have something faulty going on with your router, but keeping it connected by going through manage wireless networks and properties should continue to work.

• Like 1

Aye aye cap'n. You're a big help! :)

NP. I've had the same problems and I know how annoying it can be. Especially when you just can't get anything to work....

It happened!! After 6 wonderful hours, it got disconnected and the reconnected itself.