Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Debate Judging

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Walken

Walken

Deus ex Machina

• Banned
  • 10,249 posts

• "I've done everything you wanted me to do; so why did you do this to me?!"

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:57 PM

I read most of the debates as they go and make sure I check daily for ones I don't that are ready to be judged.

So no thanks, Walkens okay thumbsup.gif

Posted Image

Finish The Fight - November, 2007.

#17    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:56 AM

I wouldn't mind a PM..We can go a month before any debates finish up and then my attention wanes as far as checking in goes. All of a sudden I find myself missing 3 or 4 at once because they've all concluded on the same day..
Also I think there need to be couple more judges, with only five it can take forever to get a debate judged; especially if one or two judges are actually participants..

#18    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:06 AM

Thanks Falco. original.gif  I was considering sending PMs to the judges, but wasn't sure if it was necessary.

Well, maybe it isn't necessary for Walken, but he's the exception. wink2.gif

I'll see what Saru says about getting another judge or two. That's a great suggestion, thanks. thumbsup.gif

#19    JohnnyBoyC

JohnnyBoyC

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

If you ever ever need a judge I promise I will be very fair, respectful, and do my job to the best of my ability, to weigh out the debates and give a legitimate judging.

Sincerely,
JohnnyBoyC thumbsup.gif

Edited by JohnnyBoyC, 06 July 2005 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

#20    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:48 PM

I'm curious.  Do I - as a judge debater - post that I'm judging a certain argument before volunteers join the debate, or do I wait until the argument is over and then join in?  Are the judges chosen at random or do we race to the finish, so to speak?

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

#21    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

I usually send out a PM to all the judges when a debate needs to be judged. If you go to the topic and it still needs to be judged, then you can go ahead and score it.

I wouldn't want to pre-determine who will be judging, since there are chances that they won't be available once the debate finishes.

Does that make sense?

#22    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

Perfectly.  So first come first serve.

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

#23    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

Precisely. original.gif

#24    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:58 AM

For reference, the current debate judges are:

UniversalParadox
Irish
gollum
Replacement100
stillcrazy
Kryso
Jeremy_Rumbolt

Edited by Disinterested, 19 September 2005 - 01:08 PM.

#25    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,641 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

I guess here's the place to register my interest in being a debate judge.  I saw the thread asking for volunteers and was like "NOOOOOO - why didn't I check this page out yesterday" tongue.gif

Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#26    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:06 AM

Thank-you PA, but as you have seen three new debates judges have just been appointed and it will be awhile before anymore are required. But saying that there will be a time when we require more judges so look out for it.

#27    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

A brief note:

It has come to my attention that some may be disapproving of our Judges judging a debate due to outside threads where opinions are different and don't want our judges involved in awarding points.  
Please note  the only people who have any say as to who judges these debates are the Debate Organisers who are myself and AztecInca and of course Saruman.

Our Judges are selected due to their blanced and un-biased approaches. Everyone has different views but on the debates board our judges are always balanced when awarding points.

Please do not even try to sway the judging this is cheating and  can and will lead to points being deducted from your debate.

Thanks.

Edited by Lottie, 15 February 2006 - 04:19 PM.

#28    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,641 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Is it possible to get a list of the current debate judges, please?  THe most recent above is far from accurate.  Thank you.

Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#29    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Here are the current debate judges;

UniversalParadox
Irish
gollum
Replacement100
Seraphina
Kryso
TooFarGone

#30    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:56 AM

When scores are given at the end of debates, participants like to know the justification behind the score and we would ask all judges to just add some comments explaining the reasons behind their scores.

It does not have to be lengthy or in-depth, just a brief summary of what they did do well and what they did not do well and how that translates into their score after the application of the debating criteria.

If you have any questions about this please pm either myself or tiddlyjen. thumbsup.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users