Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If you could know every detail of your future

Alienated Being

Would you want to know your future?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to know your future?

You are walking down the street whilst blasting Culture Club through your earphones, when all of a sudden, a stranger approaches you. He gestures for you to take the earphones out of your ears, and tells you that he is an anthropomorphic incarnation of God, and that he can tell you that you can know what your entire future holds if you want to. To prove that he can tell the future, he reads off the license plates of the next 25 cars (before they even turn the corner), he tells what kind of car they are, the model number, the colour, etc. He dictates your entire past to you, as well, as further reinforcement for his disposition.

Now knowing that he CAN tell the future, and even knows your past, what do you say? Do you accept his offer to dictate every detail of your future, or do you ignore him and go about your day in constant wonder as to what will happen next in these chapters of my life? Why would you want to know your future? Why not?

• Like 1

Assuming you don't die in the near future, wouldn't just describing every detail take years?

Edit: Perhaps he could just tell me the winning lotto numbers instead.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 5

Personally i wouldn't, because, if i learned my life's future, then from that point it wouldn't be at all interesting. I prefer living every moment with enthusiasm and respect and if i already knew what my next moment gonna be, all the enthusiasm would be totally gone!!

Knowing the future is kind of like knowing the twist ending of a movie. It takes all the fun out of it.

• Like 2

By knowing the future I would actively change it.

Therefore making everything he tells me wrong....

• Like 9

No. If I was told something I didn't like, I'd only worry. It doesn't always do to know what lies ahead.

• Like 1

By knowing the future I would actively change it.

Therefore making everything he tells me wrong....

But what if the decision that you make after the meeting was foreseen prior to his meeting with you, and you were supposed to make that decision to actively change the future, which inevitably led to you following the future that you are supposed to be following?

Edited by Alienated Being

What Kazoo said,is absolutely true . Not to mention,fretting over little detail ,make you insane .

Knowing you will have a miserable experience dating someone,will make you avoid it .Know how and when you die,can hasten the event.

There's a movie called ,Too Tired To Die . Mira Sorvino and Takeshi Kaneshiro star ,and its directed by Wonsook Chin .

It was filmed in nyc. It's an odd movie,but it totally proves,there is such a thing,as self fulfilling prophecy,but only if you believe the prophecy ,to begin with.

A good tarot card reader,or fortune teller of any kind ,never tells someone news of their death ,if they see it. Some things are meant to NOT be known before hand.

Odd, it allowed me to vote Yes and No. Clicking view shows my vote in both too.

I would say - Yes, then if he tells me anything negative, that I know I can help prevent that from happening? Then I would be eager to listen... We tend to tell ourselves - If only I had of known?

I too would like him to give me the lottery results lol

A definate NO from me. I very much doubt my future could be as exciting and as fulfilling as my past has been, but that doesn't prevent me from hoping!

(At my age, I'm just entering the time of life where I can recount events from decades ago in minute detail, but haven't a clue what yesterday's breakfast was!)

• Like 3

The pole should be

yes?

no?

on occations?

How could you know the future when it contains others? if they all knew too, can you imagine the confusion it could cause? especially now that we have chavbook, sorry, facebook, everyone would be on there telling the others who also know to tell others who think they know to tell others who do not want to know.

You are walking down the street whilst blasting Culture Club through your earphones, when all of a sudden, a stranger approaches you. He gestures for you to take the earphones out of your ears, and tells you that he is an anthropomorphic incarnation of God, and that he can tell you that you can know what your entire future holds if you want to. To prove that he can tell the future, he reads off the license plates of the next 25 cars (before they even turn the corner), he tells what kind of car they are, the model number, the colour, etc. He dictates your entire past to you, as well, as further reinforcement for his disposition.

Now knowing that he CAN tell the future, and even knows your past, what do you say? Do you accept his offer to dictate every detail of your future, or do you ignore him and go about your day in constant wonder as to what will happen next in these chapters of my life? Why would you want to know your future? Why not?

Nope, I'd immediately think I was on Candid camera.. Firstly, I wouldn't be listening to Culture Club... Gesh!...... Pink floyd, Led Zep. Secondly, It would take more than 25 cars licence plates (bet you they had it planned) & some face-book history for me to think he was telling the truth..

But even if I was fooled, or he really did know, I wouldn't want to know.. I'd rather wait and see than see then wait as far as my own future went.. I think that knowing before things happen would be a spoiler, would be cheating.. I wouldn't want to know..

Besides which, having some stranger predict your future is a perfect means of being controlled.. I control my destiny thanks..

Edited by Professor T

No way! The essential thing about life is you never know what's coming around the corner - whether it be good or bad. It's what creates our life, our experiences and shapes our character. If I knew my future I'd be fretting or waiting for it to happen and not focusing on the 'now'.

• Like 1

If you know something is going to happen and can't change it your just going to go around worrying about it. If it involves something someone is going to do to you your going to go around hating on them before they do what it is that makes you hate them.

• Like 1

Going back to the OP, it's just occurred to me that if I was reduced to listening to Culture Club then I wouldn't want to have a future of any kind!

First, I would ask myself why he singled ME out to tell me my future. Does that mean I shall attain world domination? Or that I am destined to do something really great or really, really bad? I would think that someone wouldn't be singled out for such a prediction, unless they have a role in something important in the future. I'd tell him no, thanks, but then I would walk away with an extra bounce in my step, having fun making guesses at what huge thing I will one day accomplish.

First, I would ask myself why he singled ME out to tell me my future. Does that mean I shall attain world domination? Or that I am destined to do something really great or really, really bad? I would think that someone wouldn't be singled out for such a prediction, unless they have a role in something important in the future. I'd tell him no, thanks, but then I would walk away with an extra bounce in my step, having fun making guesses at what huge thing I will one day accomplish.

And he walks the other way equally bouncy, 'cos he's just had enough time to pinch your purse!

• Like 1

And he walks the other way equally bouncy, 'cos he's just had enough time to pinch your purse!

lol I had planned to add that while bouncing away I'd be run over by a bus, followed by a steamroller.. End bounce.. My last thought would be: I bet he was gonna tell me to watch out for that bus...

• Like 2

No I don't want to know...wait yes I do....no, no I don't think I do...Idk, can I get his card or something and give him a call after I've thought about it some?

• Like 2

Some mistakes are fun, nope wouldn't want to know.

hey....I watched this movie! Bill and Teds excellent adventure! Party time- Excellent! No I would not want to know. It would make me feel programed rather than have free will, I like to believe I have free will now. Yeah a heads up on the bus would be ok though!!

I worry constantly about the unknown. I'm not sure if knowing the future would ease my mind, or make me even more neurotic. I just don't know if I would be better or worse off.