Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What if universe is one massive simulation?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,645 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

diamond sutra : best read along the lines of discussion
http://www.diamond-sutra.com/

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#32    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,345 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 27 February 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

diamond sutra : best read along the lines of discussion
http://www.diamond-sutra.com/

Diamond Sutra? Thanks! I wanted to read it sometime since many years ago!

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#33    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

That'd be great, knowing that life itself isn't actually real and that it's a just a dream, so to speak.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#34    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,128 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostSean93, on 28 February 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

That'd be great, knowing that life itself isn't actually real and that it's a just a dream, so to speak.
Not sure how it would be any less real for those in the simulation. I mean what would change?

#35    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 28 February 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Not sure how it would be any less real for those in the simulation. I mean what would change?

Knowing that nothing really matters is enough for me; that everything that ever happened has no higher meaning.

Goodbye.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#36    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

If we are living in a simulated universe, then what could be considered a 'glitch'?

Anyway, I found a webpage http://www.simulation-argument.com/ (written by: Professor Nick Bostrom Oxford University) There is a pdf which talks about Living in a Simulated Universe: http://www.simulatio...m/barrowsim.pdf
I found it to be an interesting read and contributable to this thread.

Kind Regards.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#37    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

If this is one massive simulation and i find the god mode glitch first watch out! :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#38    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,272 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm not sure that the Buddha's teaching about non-self and sensate existence being an illusion and the idea that the universe is a simulation are really the same thing.  At any rate, I doubt the Buddha had any sort of information processing in mind.

The Buddha teaches us something more basic, namely that what we think we perceive in the world around us is mostly illusion, with a little delusion slipping in.  An illusion is something that is not real but that has a real thing that generates it.  Thus we perceive that the sky is blue.  Now "blue" is entirely an invention of our minds -- there is no such thing in the external world.  There do exist, however, certain electromagnetic wavelengths which, when they impinge on our retinas, generate processes in us that end up with our perceiving blue.  This is the teaching that the world is an illusion, that what we perceive with our senses is invented by us and what is "really" out there is quite different.  I don't think there is anything particularly mystical or difficult about this, just that it is a brilliant insight.

#39    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,645 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

take all the hi tech mumbo jumbo and electricity out of the equation and you'll see that our 'reality' is nothing but our collective 'simulation'

we are programmed to 'function' compatibly within the backbone/main core of this 'created reality' generation by generation

some have greater influence or codes in this 'collectively simulated' reality but in the end, what we see around us is not what nature 'intended' however comfortable the space is within those familiar four walls,

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users