Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#91    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,099 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostVein Capital, on 20 July 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I think that fear of death is what leads one to want immortality. If you could be immortal, however, the fear of the death would be gone, which would mean that once you have what you want, you're whole reason for wanting it is gone. Life would become meaningless.
I disagree, once you're immortal I'm guessing you could still be killed through drowning, extreme injury, or whatever, you would probably be even more careful and take fewer risks.  After a while there would probably be alot of people with missing digits and limbs and what have you.

#92    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

It would have to be kept secret, you could never let the world know that there was a way of achieving immortality, because then people would go insane to gain access to it, it would be complete madness!

#93    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,992 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 20 July 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Ok if a Los Angeles farmer........ oh look they manage quite well in a desert.

Securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding. Where I live in England the water is taken from the sea, desalinated and purified. But as I said Ethiopia is backwards. Do they even have electricity and motorways?

So comparing an Ethiopian farmer to a British farmer was a bit harsh? Now comparing that same farmer to a farmer in LA that makes a little bit more sense (a little bit) :tu:

I will go with your judgement that securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding (as I have little knowledge of the subject), but in a country that is 'backwards' is it fair to blame the individuals?

In your first post quoting me you say the Ethiopians are 'backwards' (individuals) in your second its the country (no electricity and motorways) that is 'backwards'. So the country is 'backwards' and the people are 'backwards', surely if an Englishman/American had been raised there they would be 'backwards' too?

Still not really sure what your point is, or why you quoted my post.

There are comments in this thread suggesting other factors (soil quality, climate and politics). You seem to be knowledgeable and vocal on the subject, maybe you should start a thread on the subject as it seems to have aroused a bit of interest.

I am sorry if quoting Grey14's post provoked you into declaring Ethiopia's 'backwardness' and thus helped steer a few posts off topic...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 20 July 2012 - 10:52 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#94    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 July 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

So comparing an Ethiopian farmer to a British farmer was a bit harsh? Now comparing that same farmer to a farmer in LA that makes a little bit more sense (a little bit) :tu:

I will go with your judgement that securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding (as I have little knowledge of the subject), but in a country that is 'backwards' is it fair to blame the individuals?

In your first post quoting me you say the Ethiopians are 'backwards' (individuals) in your second its the country (no electricity and motorways) that is 'backwards'. So the country is 'backwards' and the people are 'backwards', surely if an Englishman/American had been raised there they would be 'backwards' too?

Still not really sure what your point is, or why you quoted my post.

There are comments in this thread suggesting other factors (soil quality, climate and politics). You seem to be knowledgeable and vocal on the subject, maybe you should start a thread on the subject as it seems to have aroused a bit of interest.

I am sorry if quoting Grey14's post provoked you into declaring Ethiopia's 'backwardness' and thus helped steer a few posts off topic...

You're diverting the debate and missing he point.

One little desert country where the people have problems with droughts is not a true representation of most of the planet. Most of the planet which isnt put to use in farming, city building, or other forms of productivity.

As for aging I've already told people how to live for several hundred years. 4-OHT (Estrogen) lengthens telomeres which reverses aging. Whole cows milk is an excellant source of it.

You need to beware of cancer when having a pint of whole cows milk every other day so plenty of fruit or veg.

#95    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,992 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 20 July 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

You're diverting the debate and missing he point.

I am not sure why you think I am diverting the debate. The thread is about Ray Kurzweil and his view that immortality 20 years away. I quoted Grey14's post concerning farming in Africa asking if his post was in jest. The subject of Africa was already in conversation before my post (or I would not have been able to quote a post about it), despite this I apologised if my post had added more off topic content to the thread. I even suggested starting a different thread to tackle this issue. I do not see how I am diverting the debate in this case, and even if I did temporarily do so, that has passed and no longer relevant or deserving of a 'diverting' accusation.

Maybe you think I am diverting the debate away from our 'back and forth' about Ethiopia, if that is the case I am 'diverting the debate' as this is not the place for it (as OverSword pointed out). Surely that is the correct thing to do in this situation (and does not deserve a 'diverting' accusation), resolve an off topic debate with a new thread?

I might well be missing the point because I still don't know what your point is.

One little desert country where the people have problems with droughts is not a true representation of most of the planet. Most of the planet which isnt put to use in farming, city building, or other forms of productivity.

Why are you telling me this? What has this go to do with my post? Are you confusing me with someone else? (Sorry for the triple question whammy!) I made no mention of 'one little desert country representing most of the planet'. I was merely asking Grey14 if his comment ('If they tended farms they would not be starving.') was in jest or not, simple as that, no hidden agendas or implications. You might have assumed I was taking part in your conversation but believe me I was not.

As for aging I've already told people how to live for several hundred years. 4-OHT (Estrogen) lengthens telomeres which reverses aging. Whole cows milk is an excellant source of it.

You need to beware of cancer when having a pint of whole cows milk every other day so plenty of fruit or veg.

I read your posts earlier, interesting. It seems a bit far fetched to me (hundreds of years?), I thought the human digestive system had issues with milk after childhood (especially pasteurised milk), added to this you mention a cancer link.This does not sound like a recipe to long life to me (unless you mean't long life milk ;) ).

Thanks for the information though, I will look into it before dismissing it out of hand.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 21 July 2012 - 12:22 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#96    siggiesis

siggiesis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

Woot! I'm gonna live forever! Um...but I can't have babies and no real sex?!?! What kind of life is that? I might as well go to prison.

#97    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,841 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Immortality will be great for the individual(if you're important or rich enough for it), but terrible for the species.  The only way I can see them releasing it to the public is at an extremely extravagant price so only a few hundred people will even be able to afford it.

#98    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

Personally I believe this to be fascinating. If anything, I hope for it to be achievable and kept secret to the mass. This could help benefit our search for E.T. life as a species greatly. Let's say catastrophe begins sometime in the future, and Mother Earth is about to witness her dying day... With immortality, it's possible we could easily habitate other planets. Whether the planet can support life or not, depending on the conditions, we as a species are know for bending the rules of nature for our own survival. It's possible that one day our own will be living on another Earth, manmade.
Traveling light years from home could be achieved, making the searchee's more willing for a go.
I'm pretty stoked for the next 20+ years of my life, these drastic changes upon modern-day society will be beyond mind blowing.

Edited by ViViDviSioN, 22 July 2012 - 06:11 AM.

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#99    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,465 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 17 July 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

'Well-respected scientist'/'World-renowned scientist' my @*$* :lol:
  He's been reading Dracula.What a loada Moo Poo.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#100    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

The world will become over-populated. We won't be able to have enough resources to keep so many people alive who are still breeding people to keep alive who will then breed people who will be kept alive.

It will be a slow and painful death if you choose immortality.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#101    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,099 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 23 July 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

He's been reading Dracula.What a loada Moo Poo.

If you read one of my earlier posts you will see a quite extensive list of scientists actively working on longevity/immortality.  Many of these scientists are also employed as (for example) heads of departments at large universities and top researchers of pharmacological companies.  They've already got a pretty good idea which protiens stop being produced which causes damage to DNA and aging.  If they know that how far off can they be from finding a solution to that problem and making it so DNA continues to repair itself past 30?  Those who can't see past thier genitals and just can't imagine immortals whos main preoccupation isn't reproductions really lack imagination and are probably in thier teens or twenties and are therefore handicapped by raging hormones.

#102    rainbow_guts1102

rainbow_guts1102

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

seems legit. i would gladly be a test subject. just...gotta be careful who he exposes it to...cause that could go wrong..

#103    Jack_of_Blades

Jack_of_Blades

Psychic Spy

• 1,977 posts

• "There's no earthly way of knowing. Which direction they are going! There's no knowing where they're rowing, Or which way they river's flowing!."

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm still waiting on the hover cars, wooly mammoth, and Mars colony we've been promised....

Seriously, not going to happen.

#104    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,046 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Jack of Blades,

Not sure what exactly you're implying, but those things you mentioned are possible.  The mammoth is in process, the hover car and Mars colony are not economically feasible. They're definitely possible though.

Try this; think about the benefits of the hover cars and Mars colony, then compare those benefits to the projected costs.

#105    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

I am worried what this would mean for society.

The upper class would actually become genetically superior to the lower class. Which will lead to a new form of discrimination and well other things that would suck for the poor.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users