Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Religious Dilemma.

Irish

Most religious beliefs are a result of cultural influence and family tradition. If you are born in a Muslim country to Muslim parents chances are high that you will follow the religion of Islam. The same can be said for Jews, Christians and Hindu’s

Now as Christianity’s cornerstone is the acceptance of Jesus as a personal savior it has to be an individual choice to accept or reject Jesus as a personal savior so family and cultural influence should have little to do with the personal choice.

Having raised three grown children in a Christian environment that is very tolerant of others beliefs, two have decided to follow new age beliefs and one is a Christian at this time. Of course as they journey through life all three can change again if they choose.

As a parent and a Christian I have personal biases that all three will become Christian and that is normal.

I myself was raised in N.Ireland in a catholic community even though my father (an agnostic) :wacko: was considered protestant because he was born and raised in England. I will always be considered a Catholic in Ireland because of my birth :unsure2: even though I have rejected the catholic systems and dogma.

Most here can relate to this religious branding if you think about it, being born in the western hemisphere. In the eyes of a Muslim villager from say Afghanistan we are all considered Christians by birth. :rolleyes: I am sure that even the atheists and deists would love to break this form of stereotyping as it is very confusing while communicating on a global scale.

Can anyone here think of ways to end this confusion of race = religion and culture = belief.

Irish

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Irish

• GoddessWhispers

• Leonardo

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never *automatically* thought that someone from a specific area had to belong to a specific religion.

In fact,the subject of religion doesn't normally come up in general conversation except in certain circumstances...such as around a holiday season,or if someone is discussing a subject that can be tied in with religion...such as morals...abortion...current trends in politics...etc.

Personally,I don't really care what religion one belongs to...unless they are an extremist attempting to convert me or one of those who tend to look down upon those who believe in ways different from them.I happen to know a lot of people who belong to religions different from myself,who happen to be really good people.I may not personally like their beliefs,but I know that they either chose to believe in such a way...or I can blame it all upon their upbringing.But,I cannot see them being tied to a specific religion just because they come from a certain area.It's ridiculous to assign a religion based on where someone is from.

As for how to end the problem of people automatically assuming that one is of a specific religion just because of race,culture or area...I don't think there really is a way that is feasible or conducive...other than getting rid of all religions.And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Well we all tend to categorize people based on where they're from/born and their culture, as being of a particular religion/belief system. Most .. I think don't tend to do that .. label a person regarding religion/beliefs only based on location/culture/race, but it happens. I'm Native American and people naturally think I practice the 'old ways', but I don't .. I'm Roman Catholic and was raised in a Catholic/Christian environment. I know some people get annoyed/p1$$ed off when they are labelled as being of a 'group' when they are not and it's understandable. But ya just gotta keep an open-mind and realize that there are many out there who are single-minded and tend to stereotype.

If I get someone that asks my faith, I fist counter asking them their own. Then, depending on my own I may throw something funny like; I believe in Carmel fudge cheesecake, and ask if they'd like to attend worship, as I start to walk toward the local bakery. Or if I'm feeling froggy, I speak seriously and say, after that counter asking them their faith: They call me atheist because I don't believe in your god. Or if they assume a menacing attitude, right before they ask or in that process, I ask their faith and then I say: People like you are what cause me to believe there can't be a god. Either serious reply usually ends the conversation right there. :st

I don't believe in deific models , as the source for all that exists. I don't believe, as someone so beautifully said in another thread, that any process capable of materializing all that I believe I know to exist, is intimately aware of me. I don't believe myself to be special to "it", nor do I think it favors me above anyone or anything else that exists, simply because I happen to be a biological life form capable of abstract thought (at least as far as I know) and as such am also capable of cultivating my intellect so as to accept any one of all the man made philosophies that attempt to impart a subjective anthropomorphic identity unto that source of all that exists. When I die, I'll truly know what comes after, however in the meantime all I know is said to be awaiting on the other side are those faithful projections and medical theories, and what they define the experience of almost getting to that other realm, but not really. As in 'near death' experiences. Which can be explained by the pathological processes involved in brain asphyxia or brain death.

However, as I realize everything, everywhere, dies that seems to be the one constant that parallels what ever it is that is invested in creating the life that allows one to notice when it ends. But I don't think I'm special just because I'm one yet destined to meet the same fate as anything else. What I think invests one's psyche to project such imaginings as after life, is the ego of this one. That can not accept that while some faithful believe they all came from the same god source that created everything, they can not accept their no better than any of those created things that die, just like they will. So they invent next times, and better places, so it gives comfort and distracts from what we witness happens to other flesh, not like our own, when it simply stops living and is never seen again.

That's what I believe religion is. A temple of the ego. And it's god is the human imagination that creates a god in it's own image, so that above all else it imagines it's special and here for a reason. Therefore god is the ego.

The cessation of stereotyping is simply a matter of education. I say simply, but the solution is not easy. What sort of education would you require to be completely free of the stereotypes we all know of today? I consider myself to be a fairly educated person, but I hold stereotypes. I try not to prejudge a persons character or background, but the education you receive (and not just at school) builds these into your system at a very young age.

I think it human nature to categorize things and put them in sets, even our fellow humans. I try not to do but I find myself doing to. It might be an instinct. I was not born into any religion I was given a choice to follow whatever religion or no religion. I'm not sure if I would have become a Pagan in another culture. I do know the personality traits of a Pagan were there in my childhood, but I didn't have knowledge of that Path. I was called to Paganism by the Goddess. I can't imagine being anything else.

Funny Irish you having two kids in to New Age, I have one who joined the christian faith. Maybe we could end stereotyping by letting each child make their own decision about their choice of faith.

Most religious beliefs are a result of cultural influence and family tradition. If you are born in a Muslim country to Muslim parents chances are high that you will follow the religion of Islam. The same can be said for Jews, Christians and Hindu’s

Now as Christianity’s cornerstone is the acceptance of Jesus as a personal savior it has to be an individual choice to accept or reject Jesus as a personal savior so family and cultural influence should have little to do with the personal choice.

Irish,

It ben said many of times but I'll say it again, " Thier will no piece on this earth till God comes to the piece table" That includes the strife in the world and of coarse the U.N.

Because we are animals and live in little groups and tribes-- culture --societies--groups we need a sense of securtity witch goverments, groups we goin, and ethnic culture provides and race . I am French and you are a Irish dog--ets, ets,

but you can break the cultural and ethnick traning with education ,common sence, and unity . When god comes to the piece table somehow all thouights petty thoughts go away.

Irish i would only ask to help create a bridge between myself and the person, wth one understands one tolerates.... personally the path is of so little impotrtance to me quite frankly , many do feel a need to share this info though and i listen, but each person is taken as unique to me i base my relationship with them based on what they share ...i feel we walk the path that suits us best.....

Interesting my parents tell me i do not need relgion as do several of my friends, i have always found that interesting and it is meant as a compliment too....i'm not real sure what it means i just found it interesting lol.....

Now the people i know seem to need it, at least taht is wht they tell me... my best friend says for the fellowship the belonging to something, he has no family noone...he feels the dogma is the sacrafice, he deals with the dogma in therapy.. no BS.....We giggle over it but his lonelyness is overwhelming to him he is honest about it....l.

My Step Dad, says its a way for him to deal with his sinful nature , he can be sinful and be forgiven , he likes to live hard Mon -sat, churches it on sun cleans the slate starts over..he says he needs to do this or he would be out of control...

My Mom for her she needs the exceptance she has never had by her mother at least this deity alludes to the possiblity her name will be called on judgement day ..she was told by her mother that giving birth to her was like being mauled by a bear from the inside out and that was the beginning of the curse of her as a daughter..i often wonder if a hug wouldn't be better...

Irish i would only ask to help create a bridge between myself and the person, wth one understands one tolerates.... personally the path is of so little impotrtance to me quite frankly , many do feel a need to share this info though and i listen, but each person is taken as unique to me i base my relationship with them based on what they share ...i feel we walk the path that suits us best.....

Interesting my parents tell me i do not need relgion as do several of my friends, i have always found that interesting and it is meant as a compliment too....i'm not real sure what it means i just found it interesting lol.....

Now the people i know seem to need it, at least taht is wht they tell me... my best friend says for the fellowship the belonging to something, he has no family noone...he feels the dogma is the sacrafice, he deals with the dogma in therapy.. no BS.....We giggle over it but his lonelyness is overwhelming to him he is honest about it....l.

My Step Dad, says its a way for him to deal with his sinful nature , he can be sinful and be forgiven , he likes to live hard Mon -sat, churches it on sun cleans the slate starts over..he says he needs to do this or he would be out of control...

My Mom for her she needs the exceptance she has never had by her mother at least this deity alludes to the possiblity her name will be called on judgement day ..she was told by her mother that giving birth to her was like being mauled by a bear from the inside out and that was the beginning of the curse of her as a daughter..i often wonder if a hug wouldn't be better...

I believe in reincarnation I believe that while we are in the astral realm we "choose" our parents before birth so that the life lessons that you will receive as part of that background will help you to achieve important life lessons. Maybe you "chose" your current situation to actually learn the lessons from life that are not influenced by certain religious thoughts? Anyway let me just say that I think that to be told "that you don't need a relgion" like you have done is a very interesting one and I hope your life lessons help strengthen what ever it is your here to "learn"

I think it human nature to categorize things and put them in sets, even our fellow humans. I try not to do but I find myself doing to. It might be an instinct. I was not born into any religion I was given a choice to follow whatever religion or no religion. I'm not sure if I would have become a Pagan in another culture. I do know the personality traits of a Pagan were there in my childhood, but I didn't have knowledge of that Path. I was called to Paganism by the Goddess. I can't imagine being anything else.

Funny Irish you having two kids in to New Age, I have one who joined the christian faith. Maybe we could end stereotyping by letting each child make their own decision about their choice of faith.

Or we could switch kids :w00t:

Oh bad advice! I tried that once with a lady neighbors kids, while babysitting them by taking us all to a new age fair. :ph34r:

Why do they call handcuffs, "bracelets"?! There's noting jewelry like about them. They pinch, the only sparkle is rather dull and you never see it anyway because they're always behind you, along with the rest of your arms. -hack, hack- what? :geek: Oh hush, she got them back.

:o No no I am done raising kids, what they do with their life is their own folly.