Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Shortages could force world to vegetarianism

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#16    blueandi

blueandi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Utter crap. Other studies show that we already grow enough food, including meat for 11 Billion people to receive 2500 calories. However, it is a question of access and distribution, politics again.
How do you fertilise all these crops, with no animals kept for food producing manure. Inorganic ferts that require large amounts of fossil fuels to produce?
What about extreme areas of the planet where crops will not grow, and the indigenous populace rely largely on animal protein?  Oh and rice paddy produce huge amounts of methane, just like cattle.
Vegan Propaganda.

#17    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 26 August 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

I would be ok with this. Have you ever had vegetarian burritos?

Holy crap! :)

The best way to make a vegetarian burrito:  Pick your favorite recipe, choose your ingredients carefully, cook them to perfection and then throw it to the chickens and pick the fattest, kill it and eat it.  Then you grow lettuce, feed them to the rabbits and then eat the rabbit... yummy!

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#18    lilmcnessy

lilmcnessy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

bull****, no way I'm going vegetarian

#19    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 August 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Not for me - all the while there's wild boar, rabbit, deer and other wild game to be had!

I agree with this and I am sure that the actual report would too.  When you read science in the news it is usually at least partially incorrect about the study findings and always over dramatized.  Too bad more people do not specialize in that field.  Though, you do get people that can read studies and still over dramatize them in the news.  I guess at least they skip the incorrect part usually.

#20    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 26 August 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

No, and I don't intend to ever try one either.

So, you really would not change your diet even a little bit for the greater good if it was proven to be so?

#21    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostDooby, on 26 August 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

When they say things like "the world's population may have to switch almost completely to a vegetarian diet over the next 40 years to avoid catastrophic shortages." they seem to be coming from the rather nice and naive angle of humanitarianism as if govts and people are going to actually care to try and accomodate these problems to make sure no one goes without. The reality is that there's going to be some govts and people who will exploit food shortages for political purposes.

Some would definitely, as they do with other resources now.  I think all nations have been guilty of this to an extent and rebels have little other choice.  Even though we repeat history so often and sometimes with almost comic mimicry (I.E. liberty cabbage and freedom fries), things might not be as bad right now as they seem and we have a way of perservering.  Unfortunantly that perserverence always seems to come at the very last minute.

#22    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,332 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

Edited by JGirl, 27 August 2012 - 02:59 PM.

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#23    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,354 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 August 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

I think the world population would drastically drop if everyone turned vegan.. honestly....

It might just be me or a case of bad luck..  But every vegitarian I've ever met have turned out to be utter nutcases.

Seriously, they fly off the wall at the slightest hint of humour. (probably because of a lack of meat in their diet)
They hold grudges longer than normal people, They're far to serious, and they smell like cabbage.

A healthy vegan diet is a very hard thing to keep and a lot of vegans are not dedicated enough to find out which foods can compliment each other to give you all the essential amino acids.  If you do not get them, your body will start breaking down your own protein to fulfill its needs.  Being vegetarian is not the same thing because you can eat nonmeat dary products which, like meat, provides all of them.

#24    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

another option will be Cannibalism :tu:

#25    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

I would think that it would make more sense to find a way for ocean water to be converted to regular water? Frankly, all these doom and gloom scenarios are starting to get to me. No one thinks positive anymore. Besides who cares if the planet Nibiru or the aliens get us first or we destroy ourselves with nuclear bombs, as the growing trend of doomsday predictions say. No happy news anywhere anymore? Besides I like fruits and vegetables but if there is water shortage etc. how would one even grow them?

#26    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,143 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Well, this all sounds a little alarmist. But let's go down that road, shall we?

I could see beef dropping a bit. Cattle do suck up a lot of resources, and if feed progresses on a tight cycle, beef prices will force some people to eat less of it. Which could have an effect on future herds.
Dairy could see a downturn- I know that isn't really meat, but if cattle start going down, I wouldn't be shocked if cows started going down too.
Pigs would kind of worry me- they eat a lot of feed too and if feed isn't available I wouldn't be shocked to see farmers return to practices that promote Tric. So pork might not drop as much, but it could return to the days of cook it till it's practically useless.
I'm not sure how much sheep would be affected, but they are a multiuse animal, so I'm betting we will hang on to them harder.
I don't think goat would be too affected, they eat anything.
I think poultry will just keep on as it has been- and may even see an increase.
I think fish farming could be hard hit, especially tank farming. Of course wild farming could be increased. Wild harvesting could get out of hand.
Game- wow, there's a lot to be said about game. It could see a resurgence on the dinner table- or it could be that farmers really strike them down in attempts to save their domestic stock.
Domestic pets and other animals of the "OMG you can't eat that" kinds. These may see an upsurge. If people are that starving for meat, they might start to question it less what meat it is.
And of course there is always large rodents- rats.

I do have to wonder though... If things got so bad that we had to start producing less meat sources, wouldn't that affect some plant sources as well? Or at the least, the way we use water for those plants? Why yes, it probably would.

Perhaps it would behoove us to not panic about water just yet. Perhaps we should start concentrating more on what we have. Food waste is an abomination, distribution sucks, and a lot people are flat out ignorant about food from a nutrition standpoint. I'm sure those subjects are probably rants for other threads though.

#27    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 27 August 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

A friend of mine is vegetarian (he doesn't like the taste of meat for some reason) and he farts, continuously!

He needs to add caraway seeds to his food. Great for gas (hmm speaking of gas it could replace some of the fossil fuel)

#28    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

View Postrashore, on 27 August 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Well, this all sounds a little alarmist. But let's go down that road, shall we?

I could see beef dropping a bit. Cattle do suck up a lot of resources, and if feed progresses on a tight cycle, beef prices will force some people to eat less of it. Which could have an effect on future herds.
Dairy could see a downturn- I know that isn't really meat, but if cattle start going down, I wouldn't be shocked if cows started going down too.
Pigs would kind of worry me- they eat a lot of feed too and if feed isn't available I wouldn't be shocked to see farmers return to practices that promote Tric. So pork might not drop as much, but it could return to the days of cook it till it's practically useless.
I'm not sure how much sheep would be affected, but they are a multiuse animal, so I'm betting we will hang on to them harder.
I don't think goat would be too affected, they eat anything.
I think poultry will just keep on as it has been- and may even see an increase.
I think fish farming could be hard hit, especially tank farming. Of course wild farming could be increased. Wild harvesting could get out of hand.
Game- wow, there's a lot to be said about game. It could see a resurgence on the dinner table- or it could be that farmers really strike them down in attempts to save their domestic stock.
Domestic pets and other animals of the "OMG you can't eat that" kinds. These may see an upsurge. If people are that starving for meat, they might start to question it less what meat it is.
And of course there is always large rodents- rats.

I do have to wonder though... If things got so bad that we had to start producing less meat sources, wouldn't that affect some plant sources as well? Or at the least, the way we use water for those plants? Why yes, it probably would.

Perhaps it would behoove us to not panic about water just yet. Perhaps we should start concentrating more on what we have. Food waste is an abomination, distribution sucks, and a lot people are flat out ignorant about food from a nutrition standpoint. I'm sure those subjects are probably rants for other threads though.
I have to agree with you. It is not a cut and dried subject It would seriously affect everything in the food chain. Before we get to that point maybe we should start to make use of what we do have and manage it better for future generations.

#29    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostJGirl, on 27 August 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

the sky is falling! the sky is falling!

Are you related to those guys???? :P

http://www.dailymoti...alli_shortfilms

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#30    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

It's pretty obvious this would happen.

I think it's good and what they should do is if you want meat, you buy the animal yourself and you prepare it yourself.

View Postbones101proof, on 26 August 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

No, and I don't intend to ever try one either.

When people say stuff liek this it makes me laugh. I eat Qourn burgers and you can't even tell the difference really, especially between frozen birds eye burgers or fast food ones. The only time ther eis a real difference is with actual bits of meat like steak, pork chop or bacon etc.

Edited by Coffey, 27 August 2012 - 05:38 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users