Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi: Religious leaders attack video games

questionmark

Saudi Arabia: Religious leaders attack video games

Riyadh, 25 April (AKI) - Saudi religious leaders have attacked a popular video game, used mainly by children.

According to the Arab TV network al-Arabiya, Saudi Arabia's minister of Islamic affairs has sent a newsletter to all imams in the country, warning about the 'dangers' that could result from using the popular Playstation video game.

"They are dangerous games, because they teach the wrong thing to children," read the newsletter.

"They have a negative influence on the personality of children, and thus from an Islamic point of view, it is not acceptable to waste time in this manner."

Imams will have to ask parents to be more attentive with regard to their children's education and urged them to supervise them, so they do not become "victims" of these games.

"These games cause mental problems in children," said Badel Muhsin ibn Uthman Bin Baz, a professor from the Imam Saud university, according to Saudi daily al-Riyadh.

Source: AKI

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyWeather

• __Kratos__

• capoeiranger

• Ins0mniac

Top Posters In This Topic

Riyadh, 25 April (AKI) - Saudi religious leaders have attacked a popular video game, used mainly by children.

Be nice if they told you which one!

Not much different to a lot of the whingers in the West. Always blaming video games for every problem in the world. Poor Billy the school shooter would have been perfectly well adjusted and normal if he hadn't played Counter Strike. Yeah, right.

Edited by Ins0mniac

"These games cause mental problems in children," said Badel Muhsin ibn Uthman Bin Baz, a professor from the Imam Saud university, according to Saudi daily al-Riyadh.

Games make people fly into buildings, blow themselves up, blow up women and children and men in the name of allah?

Gee, I thought that was religion. How I have been wrong all this time...

Edited by Chokmah

Isnt this a reflection of what is being said in western nations?

First Gun Shooter where you can murder, dismember, rape without consequences? Personally I see this as enfranchising these sick ideas, giving them credibility.... pain without consequence :angry2:

First Gun Shooter where you can murder, dismember, rape without consequences? Personally I see this as enfranchising these sick ideas, giving them credibility.... pain without consequence :angry2:

I don't think any games allow you to rape...

Old people talking about video games... Where will they stop!? :cry:

Edit: I also doubt anyone would play a game that allows rape.

And if there are. Then you take what you learn from manhunt and shoot them. (I made a funny.)

Edited by Chokmah

There is an article on todays Sunday Times relating to this. A university study has found that excessive time spent playing these games actually inhibit the mental development of children (at the neurological level).

So it seems the Immam's aren't far of the truth on this occasion.

Meow Purr.

An Islamic religious leader saying :- "They are dangerous games, because they teach the wrong thing to children,"

Anyone else spot the irony. :hmm:

An Islamic religious leader saying :- "They are dangerous games, because they teach the wrong thing to children,"

Anyone else spot the irony. :hmm:

How could anyone not be struck by such irony?

Of all the wackos in the world, I can hardly think of any less qualified to lecture others on teaching the wrong thing to children. Sheesh!

There is an article on todays Sunday Times relating to this. A university study has found that excessive time spent playing these games actually inhibit the mental development of children (at the neurological level).

So it seems the Immam's aren't far of the truth on this occasion.

Meow Purr.

social development I could believe

Games make people fly into buildings, blow themselves up, blow up women and children and men in the name of allah?

Gee, I thought that was religion. How I have been wrong all this time...

:lol:

I don't think any games allow you to rape...

Old people talking about video games... Where will they stop!? :cry:

Edit: I also doubt anyone would play a game that allows rape.

And if there are. Then you take what you learn from manhunt and shoot them. (I made a funny.)

There is some of them out there. Second Life allows it in their games. Other role playing games will build it in.

Even yet though it's still only a game... Nothing more then a fantasy. As you stated before... Religion preaches it for reality. :P

:lol:

There is some of them out there. Second Life allows it in their games. Other role playing games will build it in.

Even yet though it's still only a game... Nothing more then a fantasy. As you stated before... Religion preaches it for reality. :P

Not really a game though, but a virtual-simulation.

I also thought sex in Second Life had to be accepted by both parties, not just one.

THEY ARE AMERICANIZING!

~Thanato

Iran must fight Barbie doll invasion: prosecutor

TEHRAN (AFP) - Iran's toy market is being inundated by models of Barbie, Batman, Spiderman and Harry Potter and the young must be protected from their harmful cultural effects, the prosecutor general was quoted as saying on Sunday.

"Promoting figures like Barbie, Batman, Spiderman and Harry Potter and the uncontrolled import of CDs of video games and films should alarm all the country's officials," Ghorban Ali Dori Najafabadi was quoted as saying by the student ISNA news agency.

"We need to find substitutes to ward off this onslaught, which aims at children and young people whose personality is in the process of being formed," he added.

Dori Najafabadi's comments came in a letter to an Iranian vice president, urging measures to protect "Islamic culture and revolutionary values".

While officials regularly lambast Western culture for polluting the minds of the public, Western toys have become a regular and popular feature on the shelves of toy shops in Iran in recent years.

Affluent Iranian parents are known for indulging their children and the purchase of such toys has become for many an obligatory treat.

But Dori Najafabadi said: "These toys, which do not respect the required norms, present dangers for the health of children and affect the survival of toy factories in this country."

Two years ago, police raided toy shops to put black stickers on the packaging of Barbie dolls to hide their bodies. In public in Iran, women must cover all bodily contours, a rule that Barbie conspicuously fails to obey.

Iran has already launched its answer to Barbie and her partner Ken -- Sara and Dara, who show full respect for the country's Islamic rules. But they have not succeeded in countering the popularity of Barbie.

Article here: Link

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mu ha ha ha! :devil::lol:

In my coutry, Barbie once introduced Barbie Padang, a Barbie doll with a traditional Padang dress, a region in West Sumatra famed for it's Moslem population, however, it was a special anniversary edition which was pretty popular and collectable.

Harry Potter was also once getting alot of discussion for it's usage of witchcraft and wizardry, however the discussion grew out of date as more and more people gain love to the young wizard. Even one of the famous imam in my country said that Harry Potter is a quite entertaining stroy, and that the witchcraft and the wizardry issue should be taken lightly as it's nothing more than just a fictional work.

But Batman, Spiderman and Superman are getting warning? That's funny. But yeah, those are the fanatics. Will they ban Captain America toys too? I wonder...

Saudi Arabia: Religious leaders attack video games

According to the Arab TV network al-Arabiya, Saudi Arabia's minister of Islamic affairs has sent a newsletter to all imams in the country, warning about the 'dangers' that could result from using the popular Playstation video game.

"They are dangerous games, because they teach the wrong thing to children," read the newsletter.

"They have a negative influence on the personality of children, and thus from an Islamic point of view, it is not acceptable to waste time in this manner."

Imams will have to ask parents to be more attentive with regard to their children's education and urged them to supervise them, so they do not become "victims" of these games.

Source: AKI

Oh the irony :lol:

I've fought countless alien invasions, seen some truly horrific and at the same time hilariously graphic things... I even maxed out ma charisma level...

I dare um to tell me video games accomplish no good, I mean look at me, I'm awesome partly because of them..

You also see such themes in many critically acclaimed movies. Even Shakespeare has a fair share of violence and despicable behavior. Is this also "enfranchising these sick ideas"? I think the bible covers them also.

I'm do a lot of gaming in my spare time, and rest assured I'm the LAST person that's going to go out and rape and kill people.

Most gamers don't play out of blood lust. If a game is just a gore fest with no skill involved it's not going to sell very well at all.

The high number of offenders that play video games correlates with the high number of gamers in the population as a whole. Not because of some clear link in that small group. It's bigger than the film industry these days and some people just don't realise it.

Edited by Ins0mniac

I have heard that when people seem this stupid, they usually have an agenda. I cannot see an agenda in this situation. Heard this from "Mario and Luigi" a couple of years back. By the way Sonic the Hedgehog just told me to go blow up innocent children.

Well, let's Duke Nuke'em those poor Middle Easternees...