Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Debates Discussion

Saru

This thread is intended for questions and comments pertaining to the formal debates board.

Commonly asked questions will be added to the FAQ thread.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Evangium

• Abecrombie

• Dying Seraph

Awesome !

Saru,

Q: I would like to know if this Formal Debate Forum is any different than the previous debates here at the Unexplained Mysteries ?

Q: I would like to know if this Formal Debate Forum is any different than the previous debates here at the Unexplained Mysteries ?

They are esentially the same however members can now set up debates themselves on a topic of choice as oppose to having to volunteer for a specific debate thread set up by a debate organiser. The scoring and judging system has also been scrapped in favour of optional member commenting once a debate is completed.

The scoring and judging system has also been scrapped in favour of optional member commenting once a debate is completed.
Q: Can you specify this ? I don't quite understand .

Thank You,

Abecrombie

From the FAQ:

Q. Will there be scoring and judges this time around ?

One of the biggest problems with the old debate set up was the scoring system. Members were having to wait too long for their debates to be judged, there was no way to guarantee impartial scoring and many debaters were opposed to the system. This time therefore we've decided to scrap the score system and instead allow a debate thread to be open for other members to comment once the debate has finished. This allows others to provide feedback on what they thought about the debate but without there being any official scoring or judging. When setting up a formal debate an option is available to not allow the debate to be open to comments afterwards if preferred.

Wait, so can I PM someone requesting a debate, and if they accept, I can just start a topic for it?

Thanks,

SQLserver

Wait, so can I PM someone requesting a debate, and if they accept, I can just start a topic for it?

You can't start a topic through conventional means on the debates board, only through the debate system. You can PM someone and discuss a debate idea beforehand and mutually agree to participate, but in order to start that debate you will still need to do it through the debate system.

Except for the jokes and riddle threads, I thought that was the idea behind the whole site was debate or did I miss something.

Edited by danielost

Except for the jokes and riddle threads, I thought that was the idea behind the whole site was debate or did I miss something.

These are structured, formal 1 vs 1 debates in which only the two members taking part can participate.

Presumably, the debates must consist of a supernatural or UM like topic, yes?

Presumably, the debates must consist of a supernatural or UM like topic, yes?

No you can start a debate on any topic, it doesn't have to be paranormal related.

Ahh! Is anyone else experiencing this?

For example, I see the title of a debate I just challenged someone to as the "Latest Post" in the debates.

However, in the debate section I don't see the thread, and clicking on the thread from the "Latest Posts" thing gets me:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Can someone tell me if the thread is actually there, or it isn't there yet and something's wrong...

Thanks.

Edit: I see it now. Huh.

Edited by sqlserver

Ahh! Is anyone else experiencing this?

For example, I see the title of a debate I just challenged someone to as the "Latest Post" in the debates.

However, in the debate section I don't see the thread, and clicking on the thread from the "Latest Posts" thing gets me:

Can someone tell me if the thread is actually there, or it isn't there yet and something's wrong...

Thanks.

Edit: I see it now. Huh.

Same thing when I challenged someone. I don't think it shows up until the challenged accepts. But a challenge shows up as latest post with the error message.

I don't think it shows up until the challenged accepts. But a challenge shows up as latest post with the error message.

That is what's happening, it's a known bug that's currently being looked in to.

If I challenge another member and they except, could the debate be opened?

If you challenge someone and they accept the debate is opened automatically.

If you challenge someone and they accept the debate is opened automatically.

Ok. Thanks boss :tu:

Evidently the software doesn't prevent others than the authorized initial posters in the thread. That's a shame.

One of the limitations of the system unfortunately, there's no facility for restricting access to specific threads.

I find it interesting that those who are the most vehemont on their subjects in the Forums, are not responding to the Debates. Could it be they know their speculations and evidence is not strong enough for debate??

I find it interesting that those who are the most vehemont on their subjects in the Forums, are not responding to the Debates. Could it be they know their speculations and evidence is not strong enough for debate??

I doubt it. Most people don't usually know that they're full of it. ^_^

Edited by BlindMessiah

• 2 weeks later...

could i know where would i find the new debate topics........if it debate boards how can i access it............(seriously)

could i know where would i find the new debate topics........if it debate boards how can i access it............(seriously)

You're in the right forum....now. Just go back to the Formal Debates section and the list of

ongoing debates are there..below the bit your post is in.

This is where the current debates are shown.

To start a debate, however, you'll need to challenge a member to a debate directly - please read the FAQ for more information.