Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Economists Warning of Recession!

recession economist obama bernanke

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostYamato, on 24 June 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

It's easy to laugh at someone before they're right.  It takes substantial amounts of stupidity to continue mocking them after they're right.  

Pumping even more air even faster into a leaking mattress wasn't any kind of a solution to the problem it's just delaying the inevitable for the dupes who are laying on it.

Sure sure. You're the expert :tu:

#32    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 25 June 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

God I hate these cop out statements "household economics don't apply" do you even realize that the best and brightest in this country are not in Washington and the dolts that are there have a hard time balancing their check book?

Whose fault is that?

most of the elected officials don't know or care about the economic impact of their votes. just because nobody is going to come and repo our country doesn't give anyone the right to ignore simple math you spend more than you make you go in debt. debt is bad no matter how you slice it. it cheapens the value of whatever you have be it gold, dollars, rare art, or employees. when the value of the dollar goes down the amount I pay in taxes goes a little less far. that means the government has to find more revenue to make up for the loss in value because they don't know how the live within their means.

Read the article. The USA's debt hasn't even passed 100% of their GDP yet. I agree that printing money en masse is a bad idea, it was the cause of Weimar Germany's hyperinflation, and that too much debt is bad. But the USA is not in a debt crisis yet, nor will it be by the end of Obama's term. Nor is it in a downward spiral that is impossible to get out of.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#33    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostAlmagest, on 25 June 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Whose fault is that?

Read the article. The USA's debt hasn't even passed 100% of their GDP yet. I agree that printing money en masse is a bad idea, it was the cause of Weimar Germany's hyperinflation, and that too much debt is bad. But the USA is not in a debt crisis yet, nor will it be by the end of Obama's term. Nor is it in a downward spiral that is impossible to get out of.

personally I am not one to spend spend spend until my head is barely above water then decided I have a problem and shame on me for expecting the same thing out of my government. I guess you would wait for the wild fire to burn you neighbors house down before you get insurance? I don't understand liberals they don't like reaganomics because he cut taxes increased revenue then went on a spending binge on defence and ran up a huge debt. but they have no problem with Obama not increasing revenue and going on a spending binge with everything else and defending his huge debt by saying we can handle it?

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#34    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 25 June 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

And Goldbugs like yourself have never understood that Gold is intrinsically a worthless metal into which man has projected some magic ju-ju.
What you fail to mention is that  as a currency Gold has never survived for very long either - because it always fails to meet the needs of society in the long run.

As a currency it sucks, but as a STORE OF VALUE, you can not beat it, for the simple reason that natural supply is limited, and Bernanke can not print it.

Other stores of values have been tried, but gold has passed the test of time; no other material has been universially and continually accepted like it. And as long as women exist, they will love to have it dangling around their necks.

Cornelius: 0
Gold Bugs: 1

Game over.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#35    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,445 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 26 June 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

As a currency it sucks, but as a STORE OF VALUE, you can not beat it, for the simple reason that natural supply is limited, and Bernanke can not print it.

Other stores of values have been tried, but gold has passed the test of time; no other material has been universially and continually accepted like it. And as long as women exist, they will love to have it dangling around their necks.

Game over.
Abstract symbols in your head - take your pick which one works.

What we live with is a currency and when we relie on Gold to serve that function - the economy is just as broken as with any fiat currency.

I advocate a none debt based currency with flexibility pegged to a basket of real world assets - including gold.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#36    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 26 June 2013 - 12:48 AM, said:

personally I am not one to spend spend spend until my head is barely above water then decided I have a problem and shame on me for expecting the same thing out of my government.

But I assume you vote in elections, and that in the past you've voted for someone with a D or an R next to their name? If you don't vote in elections then you have no right to complain since you haven't even exercised the easiest way to change the world.

I guess you would wait for the wild fire to burn you neighbors house down before you get insurance? I don't understand liberals they don't like reaganomics because he cut taxes increased revenue then went on a spending binge on defence and ran up a huge debt. but they have no problem with Obama not increasing revenue and going on a spending binge with everything else and defending his huge debt by saying we can handle it?

Well I'm in a rental property so that ain't my concern. The problem with reaganomics is it was invented solely to benefit the rich, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Frivolous spending is bad no matter who is behind it, but I'm sure some would disagree that defence spending is frivolous and some would disagree that Obamacare is frivolous (for example).

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#37    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 26 June 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Game over.

As long as the factual value of gold is below the market value I am afraid it is gold hamsters -5.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

Also tagged with recession, economist, obama, bernanke

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users