Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bipedal Lizards

TroodonMan56

Hi, y'all! So, I was just now wondering whether it was possible for a lizard to become fully bipedal, like a theropod dinosaur. I'm not just talking about running on 2 legs for short distances to escape predators, or anything like that. I'm talking about full bipedalism. The reason why I asked this question is because I read a sighting report online of an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night. It was described as looking "lizard-like". Therefore, I was wondering if a highly-evolved, bipedal species of lizard could be behind that sighting.

So, does the anatomy of lizards permit them to evolve full bipedalism, reminiscent of the theropod dinosaurs? And also, is it possible for a lizard to evolve warm-bloodedness, as well? Thanks! :)

Edited by TroodonMan56
  • Like 1

While many lizards are capable of running bipedally, and there is no reason why bipedal locomotion could not evolve in lizards, this story is still weird. Lizards aren't nocturnal because they need the heat of the sun to keep them going (outside of desert climates, where there are a few nocturnal species), so seeing one at night would be nigh impossible.

I'm pretty sure lizard's legs come out of the side of their bodies, while raptors and other bipedal dinosaurs legs' came out of the bottom of their bodies. I suppose it would be possible to evolve like that, but they'd all be walking around like Charlie Chaplin...

• Like 1

Hi, y'all! So, I was just now wondering whether it was possible for a lizard to become fully bipedal, like a theropod dinosaur. I'm not just talking about running on 2 legs for short distances to escape predators, or anything like that. I'm talking about full bipedalism. The reason why I asked this question is because I read a sighting report online of an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night. It was described as looking "lizard-like". Therefore, I was wondering if a highly-evolved, bipedal species of lizard could be behind that sighting.

So, does the anatomy of lizards permit them to evolve full bipedalism, reminiscent of the theropod dinosaurs? And also, is it possible for a lizard to evolve warm-bloodedness, as well? Thanks! :)

This is what I remember, but I don't know if it's about the same:

The "Arica Monster" from Chile:

Witnesses describe a run in with huge kangaroo-like, bipedal monster in the deserts of northern Chile. The sightings have occurred by people who were traveling by car on different days through the remote road that links the cities of Iquique and Arica through the Atacama desert, some 2,000 kilometers north of Santiago, Chile. The newspapers in those cities collected recent accounts from citizens who claim to have seen the rare creatures. In addition, a military officer named Hernan Cuevas says that he spotted two of the beasts while traveling with two other adults and two children in a vehicle. He was quoted as seeing, "a huge beast, much like a two-legged dinosaur, with huge thighs."

http://www.syfy.com/...s/arica_monster

I can't find it right now, but if I remember it right, the 'beast' was the size of an ostrich.

And yes, the witnesses knew the South American 'ostrich', the nandu (Rhea pennata). These birds don't have a heavy tail like a kangaroo has.

Edited by Abramelin

(i) There's no biological reason why a lizard couldn't evolve full bipedalism. The frilled lizard can run on two legs and the Jesus Christ lizard can run on water!

[media=]

(ii) I imagine if a lizard species had an easy supply of high energy food then it could evolve to move around at night and not be so dependent on sunlight for temperature regulation.

(iii) Do you have a link to the 18 year-old's cryptid sighting at all?

Edited by Rewlahool

The Arica Monster was first spotted at the Atacama desert in Chile 1980.

http://www.primalcarnage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4516&view=next

And here it was spotted in 2004:

http://s8int.com/phile/dino44.html

Plus some earlier reports from North America, but nothing 18 years ago, like TroodonMan56 said.

August 28 2004 at 12:08pm

Authorities in Chile are puzzled after a number of motorists reported seeing strange creatures resembling dinosaur kangaroos.

According to UOL Noticias Populares, the reports describe creatures more than two metres tall on a road north of Santiago.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/back-page/dinosaur-kangaroos-spotted-in-chile-1.220570

He said "...an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night" which sounded a different location to the Chile encounters you link to. (NB: not 18 years ago)

Edited by Rewlahool

He said "...an 18-year-old and his grandfather seeing an animal resembling a featherless Velociraptor, while out hunting for deer at night" which sounded a different location to the Chile encounters you link to. (NB: not 18 years ago)

LOL, you are right.

But I also mentioned earlier reports from North America (Colorado and Tennessee).

riverliz-1.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

Not this again

Why? Did someone start a thread about this in the past?

LOL, you are right.

But I also mentioned earlier reports from North America (Colorado and Tennessee).

riverliz-1.jpg

Not sure about that picture: at a guess, he's holding up 15-20 pounds of meat and he's just not braced the way he should be to counterbalance the weight. Also, the critter ought to be hanging straight down from his hand but there's not much bend at all in the neck. I suspect a Photoshop job. The shadow on the rock is a nice touch, though.

Yes, I do. The sighting was in the U.S. state of Georgia, and it occurred at 3:30 AM on Friday, July 25, 2008. Here is the link: http://www.paranormal.about.com/od/livingdinosaurs/a/tales_09_04_15t.htm

By the way, I'm not talking about the Arica Monster in Chile. The creature I'm talking about was seen in the state of Georgia, in the United States.

Edited by TroodonMan56

By the way, in my opinion, that picture of a guy holding up a dead lizard carcass is probably a hoax.

Edited by TroodonMan56

Not sure about that picture: at a guess, he's holding up 15-20 pounds of meat and he's just not braced the way he should be to counterbalance the weight. Also, the critter ought to be hanging straight down from his hand but there's not much bend at all in the neck. I suspect a Photoshop job. The shadow on the rock is a nice touch, though.

I posted it because that's what the OP made me think of, not that I believed it all.

Btw. I don't know how to handle a velociraptor or how it bends when you hold it in your hands. There are not many around here.

By the way, I'm not talking about the Arica Monster in Chile. The creature I'm talking about was seen in the state of Georgia, in the United States.

Why didn't you say so from the start?

Why didn't you say so from the start?

I'm sorry, I guess I just forgot. I'm human! I make mistakes, too! :P

Yes, I do. The sighting was in the U.S. state of Georgia, and it occurred at 3:30 AM on Friday, July 25, 2008. Here is the link: http://www.paranorma...s_09_04_15t.htm

Wow, superb encounter with a bipedal REWL imo (Rib-Extension Winged Lizard). Thanks for sharing.
This happened to me and my grandpa on a hunting trip in July, 2008. I don't see my grandpa very often, so I always take the chance to take trips with him. Grandpa is pretty much an outdoorsman and enjoys hunting, fishing and just being out in nature.

Grandpa and I were out in the woods. It was around 3 to 3:30 o'clock on Friday the 25th of July. I was 18 at that time. We were on grandpa's land in Georgia. It's a pretty place with the typical Georgia woodland and a few grassy plains. We were walking on a little rocky road heading for a site where grandpa often sees deer. As normal, there were a lot of sounds going on at night in the woods. We ignored most of them and remained quiet to not scare away anything.

Suddenly, we heard an unusual noise we never heard before on our many hunting trips. Grandpa looked at me and listened. Then he raised his finger in front of his mouth to show me that we shouldn't make any more movements. I heard a lot of movement and more of the noise. I can't really describe the sounds, but I sure can describe what I saw, even when it was pretty dark.

We just kept listening to the sounds as suddenly something came walking slowly out of the bushes and onto the road maybe 150 yards in front of us. My eyes got really big, and at that moment I wasn't even scared, just amazed to see this creature. We didn't move. As crazy as it sounds, it looked just like a raptor from the popular Jurassic Park movies.

I just froze because I thought things like that lived many thousands of years ago. It had a long, stiff tail, walked on two feet and had short arms. It looked lizard-like and had a huge claw on both of his feet and smaller claws on his arms. Since the creature appeared to us that it could run fast, we decided to just not move at all. It raised its head in the air and it seemed like it was smelling the air. I estimate its height around 5 feet at the shoulders. After sniffing the air, it made these sounds again and turned around and ran off in the bushes.

Grandpa and I waited until we felt safe again and then quietly made our way back to the truck and drove home. In the truck, we talked to each other about what we had seen and decided to not tell it to grandma because she would think we were crazy.

I never believed in stuff like ghosts and creatures and paranormal stuff, and I still don't believe in ghosts. But since that encounter, I believe in creatures that science doesn't know about. That's my story, as odd as it sounds. I know what i saw.

Here's another one:

Your True Tales

June 2006 Page 22

Lizard Man in Texas

by The Kid

I am 13 now, but I was 12 when this happened. This is a day that will scar the deepest reaches of my memory for all eternity. It started on one of the best days of my life. My grandpa had taken us hunting up near big springs in west Texas. We rode our jeep up the side of the mountain, when suddenly, two families of quail! My grandpa was still teaching my two younger brothers to hunt, so they went with him to follow one family, and I followed the other all by myself.

I strode up the mountain, and I carried with me only my shotgun and a bag full of shells. I scratched my foot on a very large rock. I howled in pain, and looked down to see the cut. I tended to my wound for a few minutes. I heard ducks nearby, and I knew that there had to be a pond to wash my cut. I headed toward the sound. I stepped on a twig and six ducks flew off away from the pond. I figured the sound I made had scared them off, so I kept walking there.

I was at the shore splashing water on my leg when I heard a splashing sound. I looked up and saw a man leaning over, drinking from the pond. It only took me a few seconds to realize that this was no ordinary man. This man had scales and a lizards head! I was petrified – I couldn't move a muscle. I stood there watching the deformity drink, when all of a sudden I saw it jerk its head up. It eyed me for what seemed like hours. It jumped in the water and started to swim toward me. All I could do was shoot at it. I shot three shells, and then I heard the dreaded click. I ran and ran and ran. I met up with my grandpa, and he didn't believe me. Would you blame him?

This account shows one with a recent kill in it's mouth which suddenly launches vertically to fly away on it's rib-extension wings imo, The Kangaroo-Goat-Lizard

The best I can describe the creature I saw is that it resembled a kangaroo/goat/lizard. And although I only saw it for a split second 14 years ago (August of 1996), I can still see it in my mind's eye like it happened yesterday.

My friend and I were 15, and we liked to walk around the industrial district in the southeast section of Portland, Oregon from time to time -- just exploring hidden nooks and crannies, being your typical adventurous teenage boys without driver's licenses. But on one of those days at around noon, my friend and I were about to cross a bridge that went over some train tracks. And as we came to the base of the bridge, we encountered said kangaroo/goat/lizard. There was a lot of tall grass at the base of this bridge that was noticeably neglected, so in some spots it grew to well over six feet. And that is where this creature was presumably lying in wait to pop out and scare us. And that is exactly what it did.

It scared the bejezuz out of the both of us. But neither of us ran. We just stared at each other in dumbfounded horror for about a minute before one of us said something to the effect of, "What did we just see?" and then we quickly turned heel and headed back to his mom's apartment, which wasn't too far from the site.

My friend and I didn't talk too much about the creature after that, and we soon parted ways and haven't seen each other since then. As for the creature/monster, it was about 7'5"-8' tall, and looked enormous, like it could have easily weighed a 1/2 ton. The face was that of a kangaroo, as was the body, but it had small horns atop its head, like that of a mountain goat. Most of the fur was beige/khaki, like one would see on a kangaroo, but it also had red streaks of fur on its jowls and two hanging yellow puffballs of what I assume was fur attached to the red on its jowls. (This reminded me of one of those spitting dinosaurs from the first Jurassic Park movie.) The eyes were crazy, and I remember black-and-white spirals and a sense of total madness behind them! However, I felt no malice from this thing, only a deep curiosity about the two boys before it. And then, all of a sudden, it just up and disappeared into thin air.

Since this happened, I have searched for something or someone who has an idea of what I saw that day, but nothing has come to light.

This one is weird, and corroborates the horns on the 'kangaroo-like crptid earlier, "]http://paranormal.ab...march03_22.htm]Kangaroo Monster[/url]

I have searched the Internet and books as well, and still come up empty handed when it comes to finding ANYTHING that resembles what I saw. Here is my experience:

I was asleep and I woke up for no reason at all. (Not cold or hot, no normal reasons for waking.) I sat straight up and turned around and looked out the sliding glass doors that were directly behind me, and I was staring directly at this creature. It was almost 6 feet tall (maybe 5'8"). It looked like a kangaroo. It had the long face like a kangaroo, and its body looked like that of a kangaroo, but it had hooves and horns. It was staring directly at me as it was hopping through the back yard. It stared at me for a total of about 7 seconds as it passed. Then hopped off. It took VERY large bounds. This took place on a mountain in Dayton, Tennessee.

Oh, also I was staying at a friend's house, and he also saw this creature - not for as long as I did, but I woke him up and he saw it for about 5 seconds before it hopped out of the yard.

Edited by Rewlahool

Yes, there are bi-pedal lizards... I was married to one once... Totally cold blooded - especially during the divorce... Didn't see her eating any rodents though... Chocolate - yes, rodents - not so much...

• Like 3

There have been many reports of Lizard Men running around everywhere from the Deep South to Los Angeles. I was trying to find one report from the 70's or 80's where a silver lizard man was seen but haven't had much luck. Here's one that I remember reading about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard_Man_of_Scape_Ore_Swamp

This one shows the lizard man connection with flying and bright white light in the sky, ][/b]Lizard Man and Missing Time

Lizard Man and Missing Time

by Billy

This incident happened when I was around the age of 19 years old; I am currently 26, and this all happened in Norton, Massachusetts. Have you ever had the feeling that you've seen something that you weren't supposed to see? I have, and I've read stories of people searching there whole lives to witness something like that. Trust me, it's not worth it, for what I saw has changed my life and the way I look at everything, including religion.

I was working in a summer job. I worked late, though I usually didn't get off until 11:30 at night. One night as I was closing up the store and started to walk home, which was only about a mile away, I decided to take a short cut, one I have taken hundreds of times through the woods at all hours of the night and day. I never thought twice about it since I've been around them basically my whole life.

But this night was different. What I witnessed that night has been burning in my mind for almost eight years now. While I was going through the woods, the street lights from outside the woods illuminated a small path. As soon as I let out a yawn, I heard an earth-shaking roar. I froze in my steps, almost literally soiling myself I was so scared. The cigarette I had just recently lit only about 45 seconds - 1 minute before the roar burnt my fingers because it was already burnt down to he butt!

As I stood there, what I saw still scares me and gives me goose bumps to this day. I saw this 7- 8-foot-tall creature poke its head out from behind a tree. It just looked at me. It looked like a lizard with a man's face! It was only about 10 feet away from me. This thing was HUGE! It looked like it could have ripped me from limb to limb if it wanted to. The next thing I know, I saw a huge flash of light out of the corner of my eye in the sky! Next thing I know, the thing is gone.

I looked at my watch and it was 1:45 in the morning. I ran home as fast as I could! My lungs were burning by the time I reached my front door. My mother burst through the screen storm door, demanding to know where I was, and my father followed. I burst into tears and never really told them what happened. I just said something along the lines of, "I just want to go to bed. I'm so tired." I was 19. There was not much they could do or say, as you could imagine. I never went through those woods again. I don't know why I let it haunt me the way I do. I mean, out of all the people in the world, why did it have to be me? What did I ever do so wrong that I had to witness something that makes me sleep with lights on and look behind my shoulder at night?

There have been many reports of Lizard Men running around everywhere from the Deep South to Los Angeles. I was trying to find one report from the 70's or 80's where a silver lizard man was seen but haven't had much luck. Here's one that I remember reading about:

http://en.wikipedia....Scape_Ore_Swamp

Thanks for that.

This is a good sighting too, ][/b]Raptor in Oklahoma

Raptor in Oklahoma

by Bruce

In late June of 2005, I headed south on Highway 169 from my home in eastern Kansas to Tulsa, Oklahoma to attend a youth baseball tournament that my son's team was playing in. My wife had gone on ahead the previous day and I was traveling alone. It was late in the day, a few minutes before sunset on a bright sunny and hot day, and I was just north of Tulsa in a suburb whose name now escapes me.

Suddenly, a strange creature darted across the road directly in front of my pickup and I got a clear look at it (because of the time of day and the nearness of the creature). It looked for all the world like a small dinosaur out of a Hollywood film, perhaps a velociraptor from Jurassic Park or something like that, because it ran upright on the two large back legs, with the smaller, front legs carried close to the torso rather like a human sprinter would do. Its head was tilted back and the mouth slightly open exposing a set of fearsome fangs while the eyes had a wild, fixed expression and were so wide open as to be slightly bug-eyed in appearnance.

It was shockingly fast, and appeared and disappeared in a moment, but not so fast that I didn't get an absolutely clear look at it. It was not a cat, dog, squirrel, fox, possum, raccoon or any other animal that I had ever seen, and I live in the woods and see these more common animals all the time around here. I have seen other references to this kind of animal on the Net, but now recently. What I haven't seen reported elsewhere though, is how absolutely feral and dangerous it looked. I count myself lucky though to have seen it, and hope to see one again.

Btw. I don't know how to handle a velociraptor or how it bends when you hold it in your hands. There are not many around here.

I suspect there aren't too many around here, either, but (1) carefully and (2) probably about like a dead chicken. :P

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

Yes, there are bi-pedal lizards... I was married to one once... Totally cold blooded - especially during the divorce... Didn't see her eating any rodents though... Chocolate - yes, rodents - not so much...

I know the type: they blow flames too.

And the screeching...arrrrggghhhh !!!

• Like 1