Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Does God have to be good?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,303 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Do you really think so? I do believe in some deity (or deities) but I do not believe a single word from the Bible, especially the loving God part.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#2    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,543 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

No. A creator god who is omnipotent and all powerful could not be good by our perspective. I mean seriously who stands around and does nothing while a child is raped and  killed, simply for the sake of free will.

However, a god that is not those things neither omnipotent or all powerful, can be good. Especially if it does all that it can.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#3    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,642 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

No, some gnostic sects view the creator or demiurge as a malevolent entity, even asserting this is the God of the Bible. They still usually believe in a good god however.

#4    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 06 October 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Do you really think so? I do believe in some deity (or deities) but I do not believe a single word from the Bible, especially the loving God part.
I once believed in a deity. Thing is, if a deity were a real thing and manipulating my life's destiny, it would be my mortal enemy. I would find a way to dethrone it and make its "awareness" miserable, at all costs, especially since my spirit is an undying entity. Then again, a subjunctive is only an "if" sentence. In my experience, a deity usually equates to a demi-god, but I have my ear to the ground, always. I believe in a ONE, TRUE God(?), but it's not in this material plane of existence and totally oblivious of this world. This God(?) is in a completely different reality. I certainly cannot fault my God(?).

(Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

#5    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

I hope he is good..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#6    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

• Now we know that heedless self-interests is bad economics.-FDR

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I think The Flood, and Sodom and Gomorrah, kind of put the good God thing to rest. All powerful but figures the best solution is to kill everyone...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...
http://www.unexplain...showentry=24860
http://athans-athansblog.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/KevinAthans

#7    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm not a christian and certainly not a biblical scholar.... but doesn't the bible even say that god is the creator of ALL things, seen and unseen. Why would he be only good then? It's impossible.

I don't think any god can be personified.

Embrace the impossible.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,543 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 06 October 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

I think The Flood, and Sodom and Gomorrah, kind of put the good God thing to rest. All powerful but figures the best solution is to kill everyone...
I don't think god causes natural disasters. :( unfortunately abrahamic faiths have cornered the market on the perception of god. To bad. There are theists that do not accept abrahamic mythology.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 06 October 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

I don't think god causes natural disasters.

So he didn't create humans?   lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 06 October 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

I don't think god causes natural disasters. :( unfortunately abrahamic faiths have cornered the market on the perception of god. To bad. There are theists that do not accept abrahamic mythology.

I do not believe any of those were natural disasters. According to the texts, they were brought by God. You might be able to make a claim that a world wide flood is a natural disaster but Sodom and Gomorrah would be an even harder case. It might have been a volcano or something like that, but I think the meaning of the story is what is important and that is that God destroyed the cities because they were not welcoming of their neighbor...

My screen names may change. My real name is Kevin. You can call me that in the threads...
My "about me" page...

#11    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,543 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 06 October 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

I do not believe any of those were natural disasters. According to the texts, they were brought by God. You might be able to make a claim that a world wide flood is a natural disaster but Sodom and Gomorrah would be an even harder case. It might have been a volcano or something like that, but I think the meaning of the story is what is important and that is that God destroyed the cities because they were not welcoming of their neighbor...

Sure and winter comes because Persephone spent part of the year with hades and it makes her mother sad.  It has nothing to do with seasons... Its a real story about a mothers love right?

Bruce Lee-

#12    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 06 October 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Sure and winter comes because Persephone spent part of the year with hades and it makes her mother sad.  It has nothing to do with seasons... Its a real story about a mothers love right?

Okay, what causes a world wide flood?

My "about me" page...

#13    CommunitarianKevin

CommunitarianKevin

Fact Corrector

• 1,279 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” Richard Dawkins

One of the few things he got right about religion...

My "about me" page...

#14    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,029 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 06 October 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

On the other hand, I don't believe any of them were God's work, not do I believe the story of Sodom & Gomorrah is a historical account. BTW, there was no world wide flood. The Chinese texts from that time that make no mention of a flood of any kind in China; at the time China had expanded borders which covered far more geography than it currently does.

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,543 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostHuttonEtAl, on 06 October 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Okay, what causes a world wide flood?
When your world is flooded ;) happened to my sister in 95, and quite a few Japanese last year.

Edited by Seeker79, 07 October 2012 - 12:21 AM.

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users