Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FOUR major earthquakes strike in 48 hours

seeder

Scientists fear 'the Big One' is COMING as FOUR major earthquakes strike in 48 hours

FEARS a catastrophic earthquake is building today grew after a fourth major tremor struck the same region in just 48 hours.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/661052/SCIENTISTS-fear-the-Big-One-is-COMING-as-four-major-earthquakes-strike-in-48-hours

• Like 2

Japan just got hit again.

• Breaking News: 7.0 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Southern Japan, According to USGS

• Like 1

Japan just got hit again.

• Breaking News: 7.0 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Southern Japan, According to USGS

heres the news story

Deadly earthquake topples buildings in southern Japan

At least nine people have died and more than 250 are injured after a powerful earthquake hit southern Japan, toppling buildings and cutting power supplies.

Officials say more people could be trapped under collapsed buildings.

Thousands fled their homes and many people spent the night in the open in the town of Mashiki, near Kumamoto city on the island of Kyushu.

Troops have been sent to the scene but rescue operations are being disrupted by aftershocks, officials said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36045140

Wow, clickbait much?

how is it clickbait?

A 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck early Saturday morning in Japan's Kyushu island, the same region a magnitude 6.2 quake struck late Thursday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Japan Meteorological Agency said that tsunami advisories have been issued for parts of the Asian island nation following the latest earthquake.

http://www.wapt.com/national/magnitude-71-earthquake-hits-japan-tsunami-advisory-issued/39045734

• Like 1

Interesting, there was quite a cluster of foreshocks there. These included the 6.2, but also multiple smaller magnitude quakes.

Beneath the notice of the rather overwrought original article, of course.

Japan sits over an area with 4 tectonic plates moving against each other.

plate_japan.png

It amazes me that people still want to live in such an active, dangerous zone.

It's so tragic to hear after every earthquake the number of people that are killed and injured. If I grew up there, as soon as I was able, I'd move out for sure.

• Like 2

Mount Aso volcano erupts following violent earthquake streak in Japan (VIDEO)

After a series of deadly earthquakes in Japan, a “small-scale” eruption of Mount Aso has been recorded by the Japan Meteorological Agency. However, it decided to keep the alert level at 2, as it was not immediately clear whether the natural disasters were related.

https://www.rt.com/news/339788-japan-volcano-eruption-quakes/

No one knows where these major earthquakes will happen in the world. You just got to hold your breath and hope it doesn't happen to you :(

No one knows where these major earthquakes will happen in the world. You just got to hold your breath and hope it doesn't happen to you :(

In the case of Japan, with the four tectonic plates in movement right underneath it, (see picture 3 posts above) you know that there will be more major earthquakes coming, it's not rocket science.

I can see way back before we had the scientific knowledge and understood why earthquakes happen that people may just think it's a random thing, but not now, especially there.

Here's a list of earthquakes in Japan, with the tragic death tolls... thousands and thousands of people killed:

https://en.wikipedia...quakes_in_Japan

Just a matter of time before more thousands of people will be injured and die, so sad. :(

Here's a statistical map of the location, size and depth of earthquakes near Japan:

japan-map.jpg

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 1

It amazes me that people still want to live in such an active, dangerous zone.

It's so tragic to hear after every earthquake the number of people that are killed and injured. If I grew up there, as soon as I was able, I'd move out for sure.

But their families and friends live there, plus their ancestors lived there for millenia, old enough to reproduce. It's not like they die in the million each time. It's the same as living in the tornado prone area in the US.

That being said, back in the 1990s when I was having economic classes, they were talking about a Big One which would destroy Tokyo and cause financial devastation to the world as Japan would be using their money to fix the disaster. I wonder if this scenrio is still on the radar....

• Like 2

But their families and friends live there, plus their ancestors lived there for millenia, old enough to reproduce. It's not like they die in the million each time. It's the same as living in the tornado prone area in the US.

It's each individual's choice whether to move out or not, whether it be in earthquake prone Japan or Tornado Alley in the U.S.

My thought is that this isn't a random thing that happens anywhere and everywhere for no reason.

There are scientific reasons why certain types of natural disasters that kill thousands of people, exist in certain known areas.

To choose to remain in an area like that is not something that I would choose to do.

Along a similar line of thinking, I wouldn't choose to stand in the middle of a busy street, because there is a much higher probability of getting hit by a car than if I were to stand on the sidewalk.

But they are use to it, they have been drilled to face earthquake since kindergarten. And also volcanoes, tsunami and typhoon. It's their normal. I know a few people who lived in Japan for a time, they say you get use to your weekly dose of earthquakes after a few months.

The one place I wouldn't move to is a desert. I did the Los Angeles to Las Vegas road, I couldn't stop thinking "what if the car broke", "what if something goes wrong", "I don't see any house, only dried bushes", "how many kilometers would I have to walk to find the next point of water...". And reading some article about California drought, I heard of people who's well run dry, and I was thinking "don't you have any survival instinct? Move to Oregon or something!" But they are locals, they are use to live with that kind of stress.

My thought is that this isn't a random thing that happens anywhere and everywhere for no reason.

They are earthquakes and tornadoes in Canada too. They could be moving from Tokyo to Halifax only to die from an odd tsunami while Tokyo will be untouched by such a phenomenon for another 150 years. Even if the risk is one every millennium you can happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Plus, they may be saying "Canada? But there are snowstorms many times every winter and temperature goes below -40" people froze to their death every winter. This is way too dangerous, you'll never see me move there." while both of us will laugh at the though process because we are locals and we are use to deal with winter.

They are earthquakes and tornadoes in Canada too.

Sure, but the amount of regular deaths from them is far less and more spread out than what is normal in Japan.

Look at the "death toll" column on this page as you scroll down... you'll see thousands and thousands of people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Japan

41 Dead After 7.8-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Near Ecuador's Coast

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/7-4-magnitude-earthquake-hits-near-ecuador-s-coast-usgs-n557181

• Like 1

how is it clickbait?

Because it's a tabloid paper using strong emotive words to make a story out of nothing purely to get people to notice.

Because it's a tabloid paper using strong emotive words to make a story out of nothing purely to get people to notice.

OK, people dead, homes lost, 180 thousand homeless.. is a nothing story.....sorry I hadnt considered that

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

Ecuador.

"Thank you to the whole world for solidarity," President Rafael Correa said on Twitter after announcing 233 people were killed in the quake, which was a huge leap from an earlier death toll of 77.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/7-8-magnitude-earthquake-hits-near-ecuador-s-coast-usgs-n557181

:(

• Like 2

It seems to be more present last years than ever, mud slides, hurricane's and earthquakes. I just hope that it stops.

:no:

There have always been many natural disasters occurring, but we've become more aware of them lately because of the increase in our ability to find and spread the news.

• Like 1

A 6.1 earthquake hit near the island of Tonga today. Can't find much info right now.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11624164

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/79018657/earthquake-measuring-61-strikes-southeast-of-tonga--usgs.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

They just had another Quake somewhere today I think with 235 dead! Pretty crazy. I don't remember where it was and I know poorer countries have less stable structures, but you usually don't see so many death. It was a big quake though I think I heard 7.3 maybe.

• Like 2