Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I would appreciate opinions on this photo!

Paranormal_Fascination

I've never seen a dust particle that could move horizontally and have a slight trail behind it indicating movment. Especially in a photo that is pristine quality. What do you think about this?

Please offer your opinions on this photo!

Edited by Paranormal_Fascination

I would appreciate any feedback! I know you get tired of the typical orbs. But on this night, there were photos taken in succession in the same spot from the same angle, and something would be in one photo, but not in the next. I just am craving input from like minded individuals who may be able to shed some light on the subject.

I just am craving input from like minded individuals ..

Well, perhaps you better not read on, if that means you only want to hear from those who really really want things to be paranormal - that isn't me. But I do know cameras and imaging...

Assuming it's the whitish thing 2/3 across and 1/4 down.. (there is other stuff in that photo that is a bit weird, so pointing it out accurately might be an idea..), I'm not seeing anything particularly unusual.

On a small compact camera, the flash duration will often be significant (eg down to about 1/100 sec instead of the more commonly expected 1/1000ths..) and if a particle is moving reasonably quickly past the camera and is very close to the lens its angular velocity (which is all that counts) could easily be high enough to cause motion blur, to add to the out-of-focus blur. Plus, ambient light may contribute to the blur - so all in all, flashes do *not* necessarily freeze motion.. Also, even a very small lens defect (eg a tiny misalignment of lens elements) or just the basic design of the lens can cause such distortions in bokeh.

Seriously guys, this sort of bokeh blob is VERY common in new-age cameras, mainly because:

- the flash is almost always very close to the lens (also causes red-eye)

- they use a small sensor, which means they have wide depth of field, which means that brightly flashlit objects near the lens are rendered only slightly out of focus and are therefore visible.

On larger cameras the flash is further away and because they have much less d-o-f (larger sensors/film), any objects that close would be so far o-o-f, they would be virtually invisible.

They are NOT paranormal. It's a typical orb dust mote. And yes, I'm a bit tired of them. :D

• Like 7

Well Chrzls that's all good and gravy, but there were 3 pictures taken in succession, and only one of them had it with the angle never changing. The light stayed with the same glow, but that I don't find strange. I have other pictures that were taken that same night, in the dark, that have an image not as profound as this one, but the same. Out of 45 pictures from Halloween approximately seven had it, and most of them were pictured with a particular woman whos' husband died a few years back. And no, I'm not looking for those who are just paranormal believers. You say flash I don't see how it could flash off a babies head. And that would've had to have been one heck of a solid something to go unnoticed.

I've taken many photos with this camera. And on this night, this is the only time these sort of things have ever showed up on my camera. To make matters more interesting, the property is old indian grounds, and get this.. the woman it mostly showed up with, you guessed it... was dressed as an indian.

Tiny moats of dust are constantly floating about and the flash from a camera hits the dust and creates a slight 'bloom' this is caught on the camera as what some people refer to as 'an orb'. In video footage these orbs even move around like dust floating in the air. The movement line you are talking about is actually fake cob webs on the wall in the back ground. Often used at Halloween parties.

That is of course if we are looking at the same things here.

-EDIT-

I added pointers to what I was talking about.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/uploadsgallery/gallery_115680_23_200053.jpg

Edited by bulveye

There are no cobwebs anywhere next to where 'm talking about there being a trail. Looking from left to right, you can see a bit of a haze on the left hand side of the orb, where It smears (for loack of a better word), where it was caught in motion. I've looked up online differences between dust particles, and orbs. Its not so common to photograph ONE dust not to mention the dust balls tend to be more transparent.

On the orb itself, look how there is the circle, and then to the left sort of a crescent shape . I just don't see how the camera could flash off of skin. For it to be flash, it typically has to have a reflective surface such as a wall.

I see.

It seems that while you want "opinions" it also seems that you want only that which conforms to your expectations.

To be really honest I do not see anything unusual or extraordinary about any of it including the speck of dust the flash hit.

That's my view.

• Like 3

No, just while one wants me to see their side.. I'm only doing the same. I'm askin questions from those who say they know a good bit about it. Hoping they can answer away some things about it. I'm a logial person, just trying to make sense of it.

Something else I noticed, if you look closely, you can see where the front part of it appears to almost be behind the big girls head (her hair is slightly in front of it), while the rest appears on the baby. If it were a dust on the lense, it couldn't possibly have her hair in front of it, even if its just a little.

There are no cobwebs anywhere next to where 'm talking about there being a trail. Looking from left to right, you can see a bit of a haze on the left hand side of the orb, where It smears (for loack of a better word), where it was caught in motion. I've looked up online differences between dust particles, and orbs. Its not so common to photograph ONE dust not to mention the dust balls tend to be more transparent.

Ah, ok. I see what you mean now. But I still think it's dust as I've seen dozens of them on a photo I took in a known dusty environment. And a few on other photos. The dust could be a lot closer to the camera then you think. Maybe only a few centimeters. I know some people that want to believe that they are supernatural will make claims about how dust would look different. When pressed on the research they have done on it and for examples of evidence or proof they tend to either ignore the question or stop posting.

Please can you point me to a discussion where there is some sort of evidence and explanation on the agreed differences between dust and an 'orb'?

Okay, another thing.... If it were a flash from a dust speck, how would the big girls hair be able to be obstructing the view (even if only a smidge, by her hair). If it were a dust on the lense, it wouldn't be able to have detected her hair on it. See here :

Orb hair

I would have to look up again the point of reference I was using. I don't believe I saved it.

Going off the image I posted, you can clearly see that her head is in the foreground of your dustspeck.

Freaky, I can see a skull shape face under the orb?! It's looking through the gap between the babies head, the girl and under the orb.

_EDIT_

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/gallery/images/10536/2013-11-07-142837

i did a quick drawing to show where the skull face is.

Edited by bulveye

Are you talking about in the pixels? lol I kinda see something that looks face/doggy ear like hahaha So you see now why I was fascinated by this? Most you can pan off to dust, or glare....but this one stood out to me.

Are you talking about in the pixels? lol I kinda see something that looks face/doggy ear like hahaha So you see now why I was fascinated by this? Most you can pan off to dust, or glare....but this one stood out to me.

here is a drawing of where I can see the skull http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/gallery/images/10536/2013-11-07-142837

I'm not seeing what you're talking about, I thought you were talking about this. zoom in on it, I have it circled, under the orb.

you never answered my question! lol

I'm not seeing what you're talking about, I thought you were talking about this. zoom in on it, I have it circled, under the orb.

you never answered my question! lol

Yeah right there, but can't see it on the cropped photo you posted to highlight it. The 1st photo you posted enlarges when you click on it and you can see it much more clearly on that. It has 2 skull sockets with some sort of eye and a skull nose and some sort of mouth.

The one I cropped, I circled in black what I was asking you about. But you have to zoom into the area under the skull!

You're reminding me of the part where you said "once you prove them wrong, they quit talking" LMAO