Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is a daddy Long Legs?

Junior Chubb

What is a Daddy Long Legs?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is a Daddy Long Legs?

• A Crane fly
    • A Harvestman arachnid
    • None of the above (please post your answer)

After a recent mention in a thread, and something my son and a friend said recently I thought I would ask the question in this poll. What is a Daddy Long Legs?

For me a Daddy Long Legs (DLL) is a Crane fly, but recently I have come across a rogue percentage of the population that refers to other creatures as DLL, the most common of these is an arachnid known as a Harvestman (a very long legged spider looking creature).

I was wondering which is the most common and if there is a right or wrong on the subject or whether it is area specific as to what a DLL is. Here are a few links if you are interested in further reading or don't have a clue what I am going on about.

Crane Fly

Harvestman

The first written mentioning of Daddy Long Legs?

Thanks for any votes and input...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Crane fly for me...i used to always feed them to my terrapins as a kid which is cruel when i look back now.. :hmm:

• Like 1

ive always assume both were called daddy longs legs but known that they both cant be

They are both known as DLL's, I was hoping to find which was first or which is most appropriate, for me its the Crane Fly.

It might be like asking which came first, the Chicken or the Egg though... :hmm:

Here in Texas, people moronically call crane flies 'mosquito hawks' and think they eat mosquitos. -sighs-

I think you just gained a point of your 'Science test' result. ;)

Thanks for sharing, nice to know those blighter's are well travelled...

Edited after I read your post correctly. :blush:

Edited by Junior Chubb

I think that in the USA it's the Harvestman and in the UK its the Crane-fly.

This is what I have read before making the OP, I have just come across a lot of Brit's recently that go with the Harvestman though. American influence or was it just there anyway?

I think you just lost a point of your 'Science test' result. ;)

Thanks for sharing though, nice to know those blighter's are well travelled...

Why me? Lol, I know crane fly adults don't eat! It's other Texans...

Why me? Lol, I know crane fly adults don't eat! It's other Texans...

Sorry Hasina, I amended the original post, and my 'English Literature' grade... :blush:

I voted for crane fly, I've never heard it used for anything else (other than a Fred Astaire film!).

• Like 1

Here in Texas, people moronically call crane flies 'mosquito hawks' and think they eat mosquitos. -sighs-

Well call me a moron because that's what I was always told.

• Like 2

Sorry Hasina, I amended the original post, and my 'English Literature' grade... :blush:

It's all cool dude.

And I was looking it up, seems there's a spider called the cellar spider that's ALSO called the daddy long legs.

Well call me a moron because that's what I was always told.

I mean no offense, I'm sorry! I do understand that's what people are told, especially as children. My parents told me that as well.

Here the Harvestman spiders (I never actually knew the correct name for them, so thanks!) are known as Daddy Long Legs and the Crane Flies are usually nicknamed Mosquito Hawks or "those big giant mosquito looking things". lol

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 3

Daddy-long-legs=Harvestman. That's what my parents and grandparents called them, so it stuck with me. I've also heard people call harvestmen "brown recluse", but that's from misidentification.

Edited by Hippycrite

I was brought up wiht my family etc calling the crane-fly a DLL.

But I read a while ago that the Harvestman was originally called DLL. I still call the crane-fly DLL, but the correct one is the Harvestman. I also read that the Crane-fly was thought to be a flying version of the harvestman back in the old days, but they are unrelated.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

I've always called them a Daddy long Legs since my childhood, but was told their real name is a Crane Fly.

• Like 1

It's all cool dude.

And I was looking it up, seems there's a spider called the cellar spider that's ALSO called the daddy long legs.

You are a wealth on information, thanks Hasina. another one to add to the mix. :)

Looks like the Harvestman is taking the lead...

Thanks for all the votes, lets get some more for the Crane Fly though, it would be nice if my reference had most votes. ;)

Surely all "daddy long legs" can't be male. ?

Is there a "mother long legs" ?

where I come from a Daddy Long Legs is a spider.

The flying bug with long legs is a crane fly.

Seattle, Wa. USA

its a spider here, i used to go and get as many as i could and feed them other bugs (sometimes they didn't win)