Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should "under God" be omitted from the Pledge

pledge of allegiance

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Should "under God" be omitted from the Pledge of Allegiance? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Should "under God" be omitted from the Pledge of Allegiance?

1. Yes. (17 votes [56.67%])

Percentage of vote: 56.67%

2. No. (8 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. You have the right to omit it when you are saying it. (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,493 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 15 September 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

I find it to be both extremely repulsive, and disconcerting that our constitutions are governed by a fictitious being. If I ever get voted into office as a Prime Minister, religion will be the first on my list to eradicate. I believe a scientific revolution is necessary.

They have it in Canada's pledge, too.  I always thought Canada was more progressive than that. When I was 18 I had thought about moving to Canada.  I wish now I would have.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#17    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 15 September 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

I find it to be both extremely repulsive, and disconcerting that our constitutions are governed by a fictitious being. If I ever get voted into office as a Prime Minister, religion will be the first on my list to eradicate. I believe a scientific revolution is necessary.

Doesn't it bother you also when the religious say they are persecuted, even though their god is mentioned in a secular country's Pledge of Allegiance?

The "under God" part of the Pledge of Allegiance was directly tied to the Christian God, as evidenced by Eisenhower's sickening words of indoctrination: "From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty. ... In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war."

And quite frankly, how dare Eisenhower for adding the words. He knew America didn't have a state religion and he didn't keep his oath to uphold the Constitution.

Posted Image

#18    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Also, for the people that said no, can you post why?

Posted Image

#19    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:22 PM

I clicked yes  for the hell of it  ..........Y'all should say one nation under God and add more to it saying - and we are the ONLY people under god, everyone else is not saved..lol

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#20    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,998 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

I voted No
Lots of reasons
I actually agree with eisenhower about the unifying principle of "one nation under god." And i especially understand his support for it, and his use of it, at that time in history
Second the constitution actually implies the existence of god although because of americas history and events in europe at the time it deliberately separates government from  organised religion. This goes back to my argument on another thread. America is NOT a secular nation it is a very religious nation (mainly but not exclusively christian)
The government is largely secular but not entirely so. Most elected members are religious (i would suspect the great majority) Oaths of office, from the highest in the land down, are done on a bible.  The money has a reference to god on it. etc.

So I think the oath reflects more honestly the true history and nature of america and serves as a reminder of both to modern americans, even though it offends some modern radical atheists. As long as it is not compulsory, and failure to say it does not draw either action or emotion down on a person, I think it is a symbol which unifies and strengthens about 90 % of the nation. In tough times tha tis even more necessary

I wish Australia had any form of a pledge of allegiance. Australians are generally patriotic but dont make any nationalist sort of fuss about it.

When i was a kid we did a sort of oath at school.   It went something like, "I love my God, I honour my Queen, and I salute my Flag"

Personally it meant nothing emotionally to me and was never really explained or discussed. it was just one of those rituals we did in those days.
I wish i had been taught the same emotional loyalty to, and investment in, my country which american children are.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#21    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

As a Christian it doesn't matter to me as is I don't even recite the pledge unless it is to get a job. If you have to ask what type of jobs make you recite the pledge upon being hired, just nevermind that part, if you already know then there is no need to explain.

Whatever the majority wants is fine for me. The pledge is basically meaningless to those of my generation. People fighting over meaningless crap happens all the time I guess.

I also didn't get to vote because there is no "other" or "I don't care" option...

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 16 September 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#22    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I am atheist, but I think they should leave well enough alone.

I have no patience for atheists who go out on stupid pointless crusades, only the name of political correctness.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#23    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostNoodly Savior, on 14 September 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

Should the words "under God" be legally omitted from the Pledge of Allegiance? It would seem so, as America is a secular state.

It was not so long ago that Jehovah's Witnesses were terribly persecuted in the US for refusing to say the pledge of allegiance. Though I wouldn't support any political or judiciary influence on the matter myself, being apolitical in my beliefs, i.e. not a part of this world, I think that it should be removed out of respect for God. God has promised to allow the nations to exist for a limited time, and he will eventually see them all destroyed and replaced by his own Kingdom under Christ Jesus' rule.

Posted Image

#24    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

No it shouldn't in this case it just means under something that is greater then yourself. Basically saying that we are no better then another country, that we have no right to force others on what we believe and stand by.

#25    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,071 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I don't think it actually matters, if the term "under God" were officially removed, I'm sure people would say it anyway (some may even be disruptive about it and yell it out so that people all round know they are saying it).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#26    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,340 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

I say ban the whole pledge of allegiance...

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#27    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,998 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 06 February 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

I say ban the whole pledge of allegiance...
As a citizen of your country do you feel an allegiance to it,  or is it just that you dont like the concept of making a public pledge of loyalty to a country?

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,139 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

I think things like that should be optional.

#29    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,340 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 06 February 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

As a citizen of your country do you feel an allegiance to it,  or is it just that you dont like the concept of making a public pledge of loyalty to a country?

I appreciate my country very much but I think more globally. I do not favor my country more than another...

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#30    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,340 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 06 February 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

I feel they pretty much make kids memorize this so that later they will be more apt to join the army... and I dont like war.. so im apposed to making kids want to go fight in the army..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users