Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Christmas a Good thing?

LunarWarrior

In religion classes I was taught that if someone does an evil act to get a greater good act (like lying to win money so you could give it to the poor, or stealing to give to the poor {Robin Hood]) makes the entire act evil because you used evil to get the good outcome. Its kinda like all the good acts are adding up, but when one evil act is introduces into the entire act it is like multiplying by -1, no matter how much good comes, it will still end up negative, evil. One line in the catechism I like is 'one cannot condemn an innocent person in order to save the nation'. And now to relate this to christmas. Many songs the Church sings talk about 'today being the birth of the Lord'. And the Church informs little kids that today is 'Jesus' birthday. But historically they know this is not true. Because if Mary recieved Jesus by the Holy Spirit in the begining of this month, Jesus would be born around September. They know this, but christmas is celebrated today because the romans worshiped the sun god on this day, the winter solistace (or close to it) and they associated it as the birth of the Lord. Now this is lying, and lying is a sin. So they lie about the birth of the Lord in order to make today a wonderful peaceful day. They lied, which would make christmas evil?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LunarWarrior

• panther10758

• arkland

• Walken

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it is not evil, and Jesus was not born in Spetember. Jesus was born around Passover, but you can't have Christmas and Easter at the same time.

The point is you are celebrating Jesus' birth, and that is not evil, no matter what day it's on. NOT celebrating it would be wrong.

If you are celebrating Christmas because you believe it to be the birthday of Christ, then you are deceived, and while I do not consider that a sin, it is certainly something that a person of faith should look into as a productive member of his faith.

The thing is, however, that I do not believe that is how Christmas is viewed by the greater part of the people who celebrate it. For the great majority, it is simply a wonderful holiday to bring together the family and give one hope for a happier tomorrow. I celebrate it because it is the one of two holidays out of the year which I actually enjoy preparing for. The religious aspect of it is meaningless to me.

It all comes down to why you are celebrating it. If all you are doing is celebrating the importance of a specific day, well, that is rather pointless to begin with. If you are celebrating a birthday, then it really doesn't matter when you celebrate it, does it? It is the intent that is important, not the day. And if it an ideal you are celebrating, then celebrate the ideal, not the past. An ideal is a hope for the future, it is something that you aspire for all of humanity. Allow yourself, for a moment, to forget about the past that brought you to this stage, and simply allow the ideal to be believed. Ultimately, wether it was founded on lies and bloodshed or truth and peace will become nothing more than words in a history book. It is the ideal that will be celebrated in a holiday, not the historic event.

Christmas has nothign to do with jesus or god for.

its purelyfamily and friends thing where we give and recieve presents and have parties.

Im not like some people that get offended by Christmas name, I mean I dont see the point in taking away a name for a day thats been in our history for years. So keep the name. But to me, I dont see christmas as religious day...

christmas is diffrent for everyone. family gathering, god and jesus, or just some commerical holiday. people see it in diffrent ways. i dont think there is a right way to see christmas or a wrong way. its just what you believe

Dec, 25th was a hand picked date to suit the needs of the people at the time. If you read some of the hints in Bible (star alignments description of terrain etc) you would conclude Jesus was born in march which as stated earlier is much too close to Easter. Its not the date that is important here. we celebrate Lincoln, Washington and even MLK on days other than their REAL birthdays and that doesn't take from the importance in them!

the christian religion only has Christmas because ages ago they wanted to attract pagans to their religion so therefore they adopted pagan holidays to make Christianity look more attractive to them...

whether they lied or not, its the origin of the holiday that makes it evil or not and even though its not Christian in origin, it doesnt mean its EVIL.

but hey, i could be wrong about all this so dont bash me up! no.gif

Ya I was meditating on this last night and came to the conclusion that we are only CELEBRATING it, as in we can celebrate anything any day cuz its only celebration, not actual tradion. Heh guess I'm answering my own question.

Good because: It wakes many up that normally sleep to the needs of others.

Bad because:  There is not only  a higher rate of suicide during this time of year, but the onset of depression can cripple many. It also contributes to many children feeling bad that believe in Santa and have no explaination of why mean Sally Sue got everything and more than she asked for and they got nothing.

Overall...I guess it's just a matter of opinion. Religion is the least of the worries when it comes to Christmas I think. I say if you don't believe in it, don't celebrate it... and if you do, then make it Christmas every day of the year and do on those days what you feel pulled in your heart to do during the holiday season and that is reach out to others.

427024[/snapback]

I would like to address this with no ill intent.

Its overall GOOD because it brings about the spirit of love and giving that can never be bad!

Bad because:  There is not only  a higher rate of suicide during this time of year, but the onset of depression can cripple many. It also contributes to many children feeling bad that believe in Santa and have no explaination of why mean Sally Sue got everything and more than she asked for and they got nothing.
You cannot blame suicide on a time of year instead of blaming the Holiday find out why no one helped this person and got him/her help long before things got so bad they felt taking their life was only way out! Another thing if Sally sue's friend was raised properly then he/she would know getting everything means little! I have fice kids and they are just as happy with a $1.00 Christmas Card as they are a $1000.00 gift why because they were raised NOT to be greedy and the real PRIZE is love!

If we help the helpless with out hearts and raise our children to be good people not greeedy ones these problems DONT exist!

I agree. At one point christmas was a religeouse holiday. Now its friends giveing each other gifts, letting themselves go, feeling merry. Wheres the evil in that?

And what they say about christmas blues is true; some people have no one and I can imagine how it must feel to spend christmas alone while evreyone else is haveing fun. Why one family is at home opening presents, the guy on his own is at home opening a vein. crying.gif

Edited by Walken