Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South Pacific Island 'proven not to exist'

Still Waters

A South Pacific island, shown on marine charts and world maps as well as on Google Earth and Google Maps, does not exist, Australian scientists say.

The supposedly sizeable strip of land, named Sandy Island on Google maps, was positioned midway between Australia and French-governed New Caledonia.

But when scientists from the University of Sydney went to the area, they found only the blue ocean of the Coral Sea.

The phantom island has featured in publications for at least a decade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20442487

• Like 2

I love these kind of stories. it's like a modern day traveller's tale, like Hy-Brasil and Atlantis, if on a slightly smaller scale. I like to think it does actually exist, it just hides when anyone comes near. :geek:

• Like 4

Gotta feel bad for the shipwrecked guy who thought he had found land. 'But the map! It says it's here! It says it's HERE!' -sobs-

• Like 1

Gotta feel bad for the shipwrecked guy who thought he had found land. 'But the map! It says it's here! It says it's HERE!' -sobs-

LOL! Or the guy who bought the island! It is on the map!

• Like 2

LOL! Or the guy who bought the island! It is on the map!

LMAO Yes! 'I bought this island from a guy wearing a top hat, a monocle, and was twirling his mustache, I know he's legit.'

So once again Gilligan and the skipper and the rest of the castaways will be lost for another 45 years. :cry:

• Like 6

:innocent: Maybe they could set the next series of I'm* A Celebrity, get Me Out Of Here there! Send 'em all to a possibly imaginary island, get them out of the way for good!

* (the missing word is 'not')

• Like 1

Dang it !

I was going to buy that island.

• Like 2

Dang it !

I was going to buy that island.

I got an imaginary boat maybe you might want to buy it instead. :yes: Edited by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON
  • Like 1

I got an imaginary boat maybe you might want to buy it instead. :yes:

Hey, now that's an idea!

I could buy this imaginary island as well as your imaginary boat, go there, and live-out my imaginary fantasies.

Beats the heck out of the world's reality I'm living in now. :passifier:

• Like 2

A South Pacific island, shown on marine charts and world maps as well as on Google Earth and Google Maps, does not exist, Australian scientists say.

The supposedly sizeable strip of land, named Sandy Island on Google maps, was positioned midway between Australia and French-governed New Caledonia.

But when scientists from the University of Sydney went to the area, they found only the blue ocean of the Coral Sea.

The phantom island has featured in publications for at least a decade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20442487

it's not every day you get to undiscover something!

i'll be very interested to hear how this 'island' managed its way onto maps to begin with

• Like 1

LMAO Yes! 'I bought this island from a guy wearing a top hat, a monocle, and was twirling his mustache, I know he's legit.'

uh..

that was mr peanut.

sorry

you've been had

• Like 1

Looks like someone squished a bug but instead of cleaning it off the map just called it an island thinking, meh, no one will ever go there...

• Like 1

Yes,but its on google earth too . When did google earth come out...about 2006 ? I'm not sure ,but that allegedly sees what's there now. Or relatively close to present time.

That makes no sense ,if its not there ,which again proves,google earth is manipulated for reasons unknown .

Could it simply be a shallow reef that appears from time to time?

That's what I was thinking, that it's actually an atoll that has since sunk.

• Like 1

From the article: "The world is a constantly changing place, the Google spokesman told AFP, "and keeping on top of these changes is a never-ending endeavour'.

I'm thinking that a change from land to 1400m deep ocean would have taken slightly longer than Google has been around...

That's what I was thinking, that it's actually an atoll that has since sunk.

1400m deep apparently...

Edited by Timonthy

The worst case scenario is it could be that island of rubbish that's floating around out there.

The worst case scenario is it could be that island of rubbish that's floating around out there.

What if it's an island of floating dead human bodies? Or Cthulhu? Or a giant school of some kind of human eating animal?

What if it's an island of floating dead human bodies? Or Cthulhu? Or a giant school of some kind of human eating animal?

Perhaps even Cthulhu's dildo?