Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Worst Thing a Teacher Ever Said to You?

BiffSplitkins

Tuesday was National Teacher Day, and in honor of the occasion, the National Education Association and other groups encouraged people to thank educators. They suggested you update your Facebook profile to express your appreciation and use the hashtag #ThankATeacher on Twitter.

Now that we’ve thanked the good teachers, it’s time to recognize the bad ones. The majority of teachers may be generous, dedicated, inspirational, and kind. But in their midst are some of the most unpleasant characters you encountered in your childhood. Remember them? We sure do. Here are some of the most outrageous things teachers once said to us at Slate.

William Dobson: My family had recently moved to South Carolina from "up north," and I had a hard time understanding my teachers' accents. Early in the school year, my second grade teacher asked me to lead the class out to recess. I stood up and the class filed in line behind me at the door. Then she asked me to take the class to "down yonder hill." I had never heard this phrase. I thought "down yonder hill" must be the proper name of a place, not a direction. I stood there, immobile. She said it louder. Then louder. Finally: "What are you, stupid? Get to the back of the line." It was that moment that I decided, My parents can choose to live here, but I will never adopt a southern accent.

READ MORE

I was almost always the shortest kid in school. I can't remember exact phrases, but most of my teachers had special nicknames for my vertically challenged status.

So, what's the worst thing a teacher has ever said to you?

• Like 1

'you can be anything you want to be .... '

I replied 'you hardly even know me .... '

the teach hated me for the rest of the semester ... I played Pink's famous tune loud and proud after every one of her class ... :lol:

• Like 3

I had a French teacher ,in junior high school ,who always wore these bizarre brassiers ,where ...you could see all her business thru her shirt. Mind you ,this was the early 80s . When she would get mad at the class,she would say to us :

"You're all b-a-s-t-a-r-*-s ! Bastar*s !

• Like 2

I had a French teacher ,in junior high school ,who always wore these bizarre brassiers ,where ...you could see all her business thru her shirt. Mind you ,this was the early 80s . When she would get mad at the class,she would say to us :

"You're all b-a-s-t-a-r-*-s ! Bastar*s !

LOL I love that!!!! I know many a teacher who felt that way sometimes.

• Like 1

"I don't know what you girls are doing in my class, girls can't do math" - Mr Jones

• Like 5

I had a Speech/Debate teacher my Senior year, who I was always "butting heads with" as the saying goes...

It wasn't one thing she said, it was the "tone" and constant politicalization (if that's a word) of everything...

One day during a "debate" with another classmate I made a comment about there being nothing wrong with being "rich" (she was very anti-"wealthy" people - and this was 1971)...

She immediately butted into the formal debate and said "Money doesn't buy happiness!"

to which I replied "You're right... But it rents it, and if you can rent it for long enough, it dosen't matter..."

Totally shut her up...

To her credit, as many times as we argued (about everything), she gave me the highest grade in the class...

• Like 5

I actually can't think of anything bad a Teacher said to me. I had a teacher who would jam her thumb between your should blades, I was about 8 at the time. lol She retired after we had her, i think it was forced. lol

I had a teacher in my last year at primary school/junior who was a complete power mad Dragon. She told us she was being hard on us to prepare us for secondary school/High school. Which was utter rubbish as not 1 teacher in my secondary school was as horrible as her. lol She hated me because I had proven her wrong about somehting as well. So she was extra horrible to me. lol

My Technological studies teacher would threatened to rip our arms off and beat us with the soggy bit. But he was joking obviously. lol

"I don't know what you girls are doing in my class, girls can't do math" - Mr Jones

WOW....... LOL That's insane, I bet there has been some racist ones along those lines as well.

Edited by Coffey

This is not something a teacher said, but much worse; she was seriously obese and we had overflow classrooms without air con. She would periodically pull out a handkerchief and wipe the sweat from under her breasts, sticking her arm in her blouse in order to do it. It was gross.

Not long after I started primary school our class teacher gave us a written test. Well it ended up that there was only two of us left to finish, prior to this I'd been humming and hawing over the answer to one last question. Then I saw the other girl who was sitting at a desk in the next row write something down and so I thought I'd better just finish too as I'd be the last to finish, so I wrote down the answer that had been going through my head.

The next thing the teacher looks at both our papers and because I'd written down the same answer as the other girl the teacher turned to me and said "you copied her", which I most certainly hadn't but she didn't listen to me when I told her that and I was sent to the headmaster's room for 'cheating'.

To this day I've never forgotten that. I did NOT see what the other girl wrote down and it was so unfair being accused of something I didn't do. It was a horrible feeling.

• Like 4

LOL I love that!!!! I know many a teacher who felt that way sometimes.

It was also how she said it. So its impossible to forget . Lol

One time a teacher had the audacity to cheerily say "Good Morning!" when I first got to class. It was entirely too early to be chipper. It haunts me to this day...

• Like 4

Can`t remember what they said, cos I rarely listened, but my old geography teacher used to throw the chalk board rubber at us, we use to sit at the back of the class, it was hilarious watching all the heads duck when he looked over to us with his stern eyes cos they all knew what was going to happen.

• Like 4

Honestly most of the ick between me and teachers was more my fault and their reaction than anything else. I was a too knowledgeable and mouthy jerk, and I know it.

Just a couple random icks from school that weren't directed at me personally.

First day of college English, teachers first announcement to the class was "Don't bother with writers like Shakespeare and Chaucer. No one writes or reads that anymore, it's just not understandable. We'll be using what real people like you read in this class." Then she held up couple celebrity tabloids and beauty magazines. I still can't believe that crap came out of her mouth. And she was serious.

In middle school there was a teachers assistant who had almost grossly long fingernails. Gum was not tolerated in class and the assistant would actually stick her finger into a kids mouth and do a gum sweep if she really thought they were chewing gum.

Had a sociology teacher in high school that only lasted one school year. He liked to put the cheerleaders and gals that tended to wear shorter skirts in the front of the class and made no bones as to why. And he would pick kids from the class for, um, racial tension issues, then use the gross terminology to them. In a stunning racist way that I'm not sure I can describe without it sparking fury in this thread.

• Like 2

Believe it or not I was a very quiet student all through school and so never had any confrontations with my teachers except once.

It was on an overseas class trip. I had been a “naughty” girl. I thought I’d gotten a way with my behavior, but I apparently I hadn’t. So while we were in Africa I waded in the Strait of Gibraltar and afterward a couple of my toes went numb.

As our teacher was getting on the elevator at our hotel, I told her about it. “The only thing I know that would do that is something poisonous.” And the elevators doors shut…She was not happy with me.

She also choose to lecture me on the flight home in front of a plane full of people, to humiliate me. I take full responsibility for my behavior, but she acted like a vengeful child, not an adult, imo.

• Like 1

I can't even type what was said to me ..... I'd get banned! I wasn't guilty of what I was being accused of ....... jeez! I didn't even understand what she was talking about at the time. It dawned on me several days later. Nearly 50 years on I still feel sick and shocked thinking about it.

• Like 3

A number of things.

That I'm a liar, even though I'm a person who keeps his word. I'm loyal to my promises.

I was almost always the shortest kid in school. I can't remember exact phrases, but most of my teachers had special nicknames for my vertically challenged status.

I was a pretty short guy at school,and one day my Teacher said that I had "ducks disease",I worried about that for ages,none of my mates knew what it was then I found out he meant that my butt was too near the ground.(These teachers were all Ex-Gestapo in our opinion),then I got my own back,at sports day he was stood what he thought was out of range at the javelin throw,so I put one right between his legs.(throwing 6 yards further than anyone else) I reckon he didn't like me very much after that,but he didn't bother me again.
  • Like 3

Can`t remember what they said, cos I rarely listened, but my old geography teacher used to throw the chalk board rubber at us, we use to sit at the back of the class, it was hilarious watching all the heads duck when he looked over to us with his stern eyes cos they all knew what was going to happen.

We had an old guy who never missed when he bounced the chalk off your head.(pay attention and stop gazing out if the window at the girls legs...when they played netball every Wednesday)He was as old as the History he taught.
  • Like 3

the worst thing a teacher ever said to me is ;when I was called up to his desk and told in front of the whole class that I would no longer be alowed to continue at school due to my Uncles being murderers and that my phycosis would be taking over soon and that I should be taken out of society before that happens! I was in the 6th grade and promptly removed from school Ie. The Wilson Brothers Turman and Utah, Grant , Rassie , Glen, and father Moses. Judy E. Wilson

Edited by nonnie7

When I was in middle school in the 7th grade we had a teacher that everyone hated. I mean he was evil. One day we were asking questions about our homework that we had gotten back and a few people asked their questions and I did not hear what they asked or what the other kids answered (for those of you that don’t know I’m hard of hearing). At on point the teacher yelled at one kid that someone already asked the question that he just asked. And when it got to be my turn I asked a question that just happened to be the same one that the two kids before me asked.

My teacher was so mad he stood up and yelled “ARE YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING?” The teacher knew full well that I was hard of hearing and you could see it in his eyes that he knew he messed up, so when my friend setting next to me raised his hand and said very weakly “yeah he kind of is”, my teacher blow up and sent my friend out to the hall.

He slammed my friend up to the lockers (something he did a lot) and the other kids in class told me that the teacher was tell my friend not to say another word about all this.

When I got home I told my parents what happened they were so mad they called the school and at the meeting we had the next day my teacher said that nothing like that happened and that I was making it up. So later on that day when we would have gone to that class my whole class went to the office instead to tell the principal what happened. My teacher was suspended from his job for 1 week and was made to apologize to my parents and to me in front of the class, and I was moved to a different teacher for the rest of the year.

• Like 4

We had an old guy who never missed when he bounced the chalk off your head.(pay attention and stop gazing out if the window at the girls legs...when they played netball every Wednesday)He was as old as the History he taught.

Ahhhh netball, those were the days, pretending not to notice the boys looking at us from the windows.

• Like 3

I had a male high school math teacher who basically told us that women were inferior beings, based on his various snide comments. He complained a lot about his ex-wife.

I also had a female typing teacher in middle school who would "bend" your hands into the correct typing position. It was passive-agressive nonsense.

There were always the jerk teachers you would watch out for, who would turn you into detention for minor infractions. The ones who ALWAYS made certain you had a valid hall pass. Of course, once you are 18+ years old, the restrictions on your freedom are eased.

For the most part, my teachers were OK at least.

• Like 1

Ahhhh netball, those were the days, pretending not to notice the boys looking at us from the windows.

And giggling when you saw the chalk bouncing off their heads...
  • Like 3

They never found out who hid all the instruments of child torture (bamboo canes),taken from every classroom teachers cupboard ,on the day I left ,but I was told that they were still in the rafters of the boys toilets a year later.I wonder who stole them ?????...

• Like 4

Children like you don't amount to much in life and tend to drop out of school at an early age. Said to me by a school counselor when I was 8 or 9 years old. That I and the rest of the class weren't up to the teachers class he had in 1986, had this said in 2001 I was 13 and that we were useless among other things. That I was using my Aniexty as a way of getting out of school and using it for attention by my year 8 English teacher. TAFE teacher that I wasn't determined enough to get a job in the western area of my state, I live in the north of my state don't drive and at the time had Depression, Panic Attacks and severe Aniexty so going to class was hard enough, I was 21. Had a Maths teacher who wouldn't help me when I asked then lied about me asking for help, thankfully I had proof because it was schooling over the phone I was 22. Not a teacher but I had one psychologist say my Aniexty etc was all made up to attention, she was proved wrong by a counselor, a different psychologist and 2 psychiatrist.

• Like 3