Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What did Edgar Rice Burroughs know?

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#46    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Unless there is a grand conspiracy we have the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter out there that can capture detail as small as things like the Viking landers on the surface. So far Mars is exactly like they expected. No artifacts, no buildings, no canals (artificial ones that is)....etc,

If there is/were intelligent life out there, other than us here on earth, it is not likely to have been in this solar system.

#47    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

There is a massive difference between science and the various forms of belief known as religion or pseudo-science.  Science is fragile; it does not have reinforcement mechanisms like "faith" and childhood indoctrination and heirarchy and ritual and often state support and so on to perpetuate itself.  It has only the fact that it produces.  What it produces is wonderful and had made all our lives so much better, but it is always under threat from superstition and dogma and religious ferver.  Europe lost science and Asia never had it until the Renaissance because of human superstition and authoritarianism.

I have my "religious" views too -- I'm a Buddhist of the Chinese/Vietnamese flavor, which means the Tao and Quan Yin and Confucian ethics.  The thing is none of this opposes science as found in the west (with a few exceptions that I am agnostic about).  I don't try to deny clear scientific results such as Darwinism, modern psychiatry, astronomy, and so on.

#48    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,564 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostEsoteric Toad, on 17 April 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Unless there is a grand conspiracy we have the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter out there that can capture detail as small as things like the Viking landers on the surface. So far Mars is exactly like they expected. No artifacts, no buildings, no canals (artificial ones that is)....etc,

If there is/were intelligent life out there, other than us here on earth, it is not likely to have been in this solar system.

And if there IS a Grand Conspiracy? :)

We are expected to take it on faith that we are being told everything...

Can't remember the name of the report at the moment...but there was that one that warned about the potential consequences

on society and religions if ancient artefacts etc were found by modern space travellers on the Moon, Mars or Venus...

and what effect that would have if the public were told about it ....

We wouldn't really know if we were being officially kept out of the loop....

And that's where the 'whistleblowers' and alternative researchers come into the picture...

Posted Image

#49    JimOberg

JimOberg

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

You need to add the perspective of 'natural philosophers', who for centuries had accepted the notion that ALL the other planets were inhabited, even by intelligent species. This was an assumption. Then in the 1800s astronomical science gathered more and more evidence about the conditions on the surfaces of those worlds, and it became clear that 'life as we know it' had no place there. Various convoluted 'ad hoc' accommodations were proposed to cling to the hope of inhabitants -- the deep valleys of Barsoom is a good example. But as scientific knowledge increased, the realization of the hostility of those other worlds set in, and hope for inhabitants faded.

Note that this is starkly different from the myths of UFOdom that scientists and theologians closed-mindedly always REJECTED the idea of life on other planets. The opposite was true, as is usually the case with uforic myths.

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Conspiracies, sometimes "grand" and I guess sometimes less grand, as well as the notorious closed-mindedness of scientists to listen to anything outside their paradigm are two good clues that you are being peddled snake-oil.  There is just enough plausibility to make it succeed if the individual hearing it is already gullible.

The problem is that sometimes there are conspiracies and cover-ups, and sometimes scientists are closed-minded (they view themselves as the experts and you as the amateur).  

The thing is, don't assume conspiracy; don't assume cover-up, don't assume closed minds.  These are the exceptions, not the rule.  Assume the authorities are telling the truth to the best of their knowledge and within the law.  Assume the scientist actually is an expert.  You will do much better forming informed opinions that way.

#51    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,564 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostMasterFlint, on 17 April 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

And it makes you wonder......did Burroughs know something the rest of us didn't?  

What do you think?

My first thought was.....'is there a Masonic connection to Burroughs?

Because I am of the opinion that the higher degrees of the Masonic Organization could be a repository for some ancient knowledge and secrets...

that they have guarded and passed on for hundreds of years...and it could be to do with Extraterrestrials..?

So I had a little look and there is a Masonic connection. Don't know if Burroughs himself was a Mason but it

is said that his Dad was...(I wouldn't be surprised if Burroughs was as well)

http://www.erbzine.com/mag11/1133.html

Edgar Rice Burroughs' father was a Freemason. There is likely an autobiographical touch to the words the author puts into the mouth of his fictional character, James Blake: "my father is a thirty second degree Mason and a Knight Templar." Faithful practitioners of "The Craft" are under a nominal obligation to raise their children according the moral guidance of the "Great Architect of the Universe."

So maybe he was privy to some 'Insider' Info....?

Just a thought...

Posted Image

#52    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,016 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Conspiracies, sometimes "grand" and I guess sometimes less grand, as well as the notorious closed-mindedness of scientists to listen to anything outside their paradigm are two good clues that you are being peddled snake-oil.  There is just enough plausibility to make it succeed if the individual hearing it is already gullible.

The problem is that sometimes there are conspiracies and cover-ups, and sometimes scientists are closed-minded (they view themselves as the experts and you as the amateur).  

The thing is, don't assume conspiracy; don't assume cover-up, don't assume closed minds.  These are the exceptions, not the rule.  Assume the authorities are telling the truth to the best of their knowledge and within the law.  Assume the scientist actually is an expert.  You will do much better forming informed opinions that way.

thats a few too many assumptions

#53    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postquillius, on 17 April 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

thats a few too many assumptions
Yea -- that's why I say don't make them.

#54    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,016 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

?

Assume the authorities are telling the truth to the best of their knowledge and within the law.  Assume the scientist actually is an expert.  You will do much better forming informed opinions that way.

was this meant to read 'dont' assume?

#55    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ok, what I meant is what I said.  You are far more likely to be right if you assume the authority is right than if you assume he is stubborn or stupid or covering up.  No guarantee, but that is where you should put your money: those who play long odds have to get a good spread or they will generally lose.

#56    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

All these "alien artifacts/structires" is a clear cut case of pareidolia..... especially Hoaglands nonsense.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#57    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,016 posts

Albert Einstein

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Ok, what I meant is what I said.  You are far more likely to be right if you assume the authority is right than if you assume he is stubborn or stupid or covering up.  No guarantee, but that is where you should put your money: those who play long odds have to get a good spread or they will generally lose.

or you could just not bet (i.e. not assume anything) then you can never lose.....

#58    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,564 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

when a poster starts using emotive words like 'peddled snake oil' and 'gullible'...you just KNOW they are on a mission...lol

And determined to misrepresent anyone who dares to question anything...and dares to give consideration to any non-mainstream stuff...

everyone has their own way of doing things. You stick to what you have said above if it makes you happy.... ;)

Posted Image

#59    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

You don't always have the choice of not placing any bets, and even if you do have the choice, why not let the fools place their money where their foolishness leads them and take your profits.  Science has a habit of paying good dividends.

#60    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,564 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 April 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

just believe what you're told.....and we'll all live happily ever after.... :P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users