Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The Unexplained Flash…

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Freerunner18

Freerunner18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• "Ex Astris, Scientia"

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:38 AM

The Unexplained Flash…

My sister and I were in the living room when a bright flash emanated from the back corner of the room.  The flash was intense and lasted only a fraction of a second, perceptually of course it seemed to last longer (due to visual sensory memory).  We were not on computers, nor watching television.  Also, there were no electrical devices or light bulbs that blew out.  We both looked at each other and confirmed the experience.   To replicate the event, I took several cameras and took pictures to create a bright flash in the general direction from where we mutually agreed it came from or was localized at.  Meanwhile my sister stood exactly where she had been when the event occurred.  Then we rotated and I stood where I was when it happened while she took several shots from various angles.  Both of us agreed, beyond all doubt, that what we experienced was both far more intense and “different.” After failing to replicate the flash using cameras, I then decided to use a high-powered flashlight, that has more luminosity than a car's bright beams, and still it failed to resemble the phenomenon.  All of this was done moments after the event, we both were eager to solve the mystery then and there.  Then....

Approximately a year later (possibly longer) my mother and girlfriend claimed to have seen a bright flash appear out of nowhere in the corner of the living room.  I had never told them about the “flash” experience before and thus I can say “4” people have experienced this flash in pairs - with each pair confirming the experience among themselves.
Their stories of the experience were remarkably similar to ours, even where they believed the flashed came from was similar.  However, no more insights or clues were gained…

Any clues, insights as to an explanation?

#2    JustNormal

JustNormal

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

The Unexplained Flash…

My sister and I were in the living room when a bright flash emanated from the back corner of the room.  The flash was intense and lasted only a fraction of a second, perceptually of course it seemed to last longer (due to visual sensory memory).  We were not on computers, nor watching television.  Also, there were no electrical devices or light bulbs that blew out.  We both looked at each other and confirmed the experience.   To replicate the event, I took several cameras and took pictures to create a bright flash in the general direction from where we mutually agreed it came from or was localized at.  Meanwhile my sister stood exactly where she had been when the event occurred.  Then we rotated and I stood where I was when it happened while she took several shots from various angles.  Both of us agreed, beyond all doubt, that what we experienced was both far more intense and “different.” After failing to replicate the flash using cameras, I then decided to use a high-powered flashlight, that has more luminosity than a car's bright beams, and still it failed to resemble the phenomenon.  All of this was done moments after the event, we both were eager to solve the mystery then and there.  Then....

Approximately a year later (possibly longer) my mother and girlfriend claimed to have seen a bright flash appear out of nowhere in the corner of the living room.  I had never told them about the “flash” experience before and thus I can say “4” people have experienced this flash in pairs - with each pair confirming the experience among themselves.
Their stories of the experience were remarkably similar to ours, even where they believed the flashed came from was similar.  However, no more insights or clues were gained…

Any clues, insights as to an explanation?

One question, were these seen from your peripheral vision, as in the corner of your eye? Or was it something you were directly looking at, at the time? JN

#3    misanthrope

misanthrope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

It couldn't have been a brief reflection of light at some odd angle... say, a passing car's headlights coming through a window and bouncing off the glass of a picture on the wall, or something?

#4    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

I have lived in a house where strange phenomena occurred - knocking sounds, objects being moved, dark shapes seen, voices heard et al.

While these things were going on, my sister in her room saw intense flashes of light with no apparent source. They occurred sporadically over a period of about a year then were no more.

Also, flashes of light with no apparent source are often documented in poltergeist cases.

geek.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. – Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. – Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. – Minquass

#5    rikitiki

rikitiki

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

So, both flashes occurred in the same room of the same house?
Was there any sound connected with either flash?
Any odor?

#6    JustNormal

JustNormal

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

I have lived in a house where strange phenomena occurred - knocking sounds, objects being moved, dark shapes seen, voices heard et al.

While these things were going on, my sister in her room saw intense flashes of light with no apparent source. They occurred sporadically over a period of about a year then were no more.

Also, flashes of light with no apparent source are often documented in poltergeist cases.

geek.gif

Very true, I have seen them too off and on. THen I find myself rubbing my eyes to see if that is actually what I saw. When I close my eyes the image is still there. Strange things happen..

#7    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:29 PM

I dunno, ball lightning?

#8    Freerunner18

Freerunner18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• "Ex Astris, Scientia"

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

JN, to answer your question, neither my sister or I saw the flash directly, just from peripherals.

Mis, the reason why I don't believe in was from passing headlights or a reflection is because we both felt that the light was centralized, not stray fractures of light. Another reason is because our blinds were semi closed, semi open, and very cloudy from being unclean. The light flash was very concentrated.

Riki, to answer your question, both flashes occured in the same room. My sister and I experienced the light in our dining room while my girlfriend and mom experienced the same except in the living room (same room, there are no walls or barriors between them). None of us remember any strange odors or sounds with the flashes. We thought it was strange there was no smell because at first we thought a light bulb had burned out and expected that sort of burnt odor. We also thought it was weird that there was no sound because our second thought was that someone took a picture and used the kind of retro camera that takes loud snapshots. Shortly after it happened, we both were convinced that it was someone using a camera by checking the backdoor and using our own camera to replicate the intensity of the flash. But nothing provided the same level of light that was experienced. The best analogy I can think of is that it was kind of like a silent explosion of mageniusm.

Cold, we both remember the weather conditions very well. The first experience with my sister and I occured during a late summer night. There were no storms or no cases of lightning -- I remember because we investigated outside fairly intensely (thinking it was a friend playing a practical joke with a camera) before leaving the situation as unexplained. My girlfriend remembers the second time as being in the winter, so it seems unlikely that the conditions were violatile enough.

#9    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

Well there doesn't have to a storm brewing for ball lightning to occur.

What do you suspect it was?

#10    Freerunner18

Freerunner18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• "Ex Astris, Scientia"

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

When I looked up info for ball lightning, I was under the impression that it was associated with thunderstorms -- if not, that opens up possibilities. I also read though that ball lightning is witnessed to be seen as lasting for many seconds. Both flashes that occured seemed to last only a fraction of a second, hence the flash. I don't know much about ball lightning -- does it occur with noises? What is the likelihood that ball lightning would occur in the same proximity twice?

#11    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:35 AM

When I looked up info for ball lightning, I was under the impression that it was associated with thunderstorms -- if not, that opens up possibilities. I also read though that ball lightning is witnessed to be seen as lasting for many seconds. Both flashes that occured seemed to last only a fraction of a second, hence the flash. I don't know much about ball lightning -- does it occur with noises? What is the likelihood that ball lightning would occur in the same proximity twice?

Well according to the link I posted, it doesn't have to be during a storm.  Scientists aren't 100% sure on the causes of ball lightning and the exactness of it, so I don't believe anyone could tell you for sure it couldn't appear in the same spot twice.  Accounts of ball lightning are of different colors, noises, and times seen.

It's just one theory, it could completely wrong, but at least it's something to go on.

thumbsup.gif

#12    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

I like the analogy with magnesium - from what my sister said, the flash she saw was very intense and very short lived - almost a hundredth of a second (if that's not being too precise).

Also, from the cases of poltergeist hauntings I have read about, the flashes always seem to be in the upper part of a room - or very close to the ceiling.

geek.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. – Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. – Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. – Minquass

#13    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,154 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

Could it have been static electricity ?I admit that it sounds a bit unlikely but who knows ?

fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#14    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

Ancient Order of Hibernians Grand Master

• 3,339 posts

• A neoconservative is a "liberal mugged by reality," one who became more conservative after seeing the results of liberal policies.Iriving Kristol

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:15 PM

Could have been lightning or passing car headlights. It could also have been some paranoramal phenomenon, like in the Entity case. Lightning was emanating from an unknown source in a room.
linked-image

The second time Gaynor and Taff visited the Entity house, things began to happen. Although they never saw the apparition, they witnessed visual phenomena. "We were seeing little pops of light," said Gaynor. "They would happen quickly. We would try to shoot the camera, but they were happening too quickly and we just couldn't catch them. We were shooting with a Polaroid and with a 35mm camera." Link
Lightning kills man beneath cloudless sky
A Dade landscaper died after being struck by an unusual type of lightning that's stronger, hotter, lasts longer and strikes from clear skies. Experts said Canales was killed by a weather phenomenon fittingly called a ''bolt from the blue'' or ''dry lightning'' because it falls from clear, blue skies. Link

Edited by Aztec Warrior, 22 June 2007 - 04:16 PM.

Posted ImageBlurring and Stirring the truth and the lies

So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head
So I can't trust myself anymore
I'm dying again

#15    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

The flash is probably caused by an electrical discharge that ionizes nearby N2 and O2 molecules. As electrons are driven off the molecules and recaptured at a lower energy level, they emit the leftover energy as photons, which you see.

What caused the electrical discharge, I have no idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users