Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former Archbishop slams gay marriage

None of the above

'Preachng to the Choir' springs to mind, as former Archbishop of Canterbury 'Lord' Carey railed against plans to legalise gay marriage while addressing an anti-gay marriage rally in Birmingham Town Hall on the fringes of the Tory Party conference on Monday.

Cleverly exposing his own bigotry while making absurd and alarmist claims that Christians could face the type of persecuation that Jews faced in Nazi Germany, merely by speaking out against Gay marriage, 'Lord' Carey shines a light on the extremists in the Tory party while singlehandedly making the case for the abolition of the House of Lords with it's undemocratic honours for Bishops, no matter how extreme their religious views.

"Gay Marriage Could Turn Britain Into Nazi Germany, Lord Carey Tells Rally At Conservative Party Conference

Britain risks becoming a totalitarian state as a result of gay marriage and could go the way of Nazi Germany, Tory opponents of the government's plans have heard.

Addressing an anti-gay marriage rally in Birmingham Town Hall on the fringes of the Tory Party conference on Monday, the former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey said Christians had so far been "too timid" in their opposition to the government's plans.

He also warned that those of faith could even begin to experience the persecution endured by the Jews in Nazi Germany if they dared to speak out if same-sex marriage laws were passed.

"Remember that the Jews in Nazi Germany, what started it against them was when they were called names, that was the first stage towards that totalitarian state," he said."

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

Edited by Atlantia

'Preachng to the Choir' springs to mind, as former Archbishop of Canterbury 'Lord' Carey railed against plans to legalise gay marriage while addressing an anti-gay marriage rally in Birmingham Town Hall on the fringes of the Tory Party conference on Monday.

Cleverly exposing his own bigotry while making absurd and alarmist claims that Christians could face the type of persecuation that Jews faced in Nazi Germany, merely by speaking out against Gay marriage, 'Lord' Carey shines a light on the extremists in the Tory party while singlehandedly making the case for the abolition of the House of Lords with it's undemocratic honours for Bishops, no matter how extreme their religious views.

"Gay Marriage Could Turn Britain Into Nazi Germany, Lord Carey Tells Rally At Conservative Party Conference

Britain risks becoming a totalitarian state as a result of gay marriage and could go the way of Nazi Germany, Tory opponents of the government's plans have heard.

Addressing an anti-gay marriage rally in Birmingham Town Hall on the fringes of the Tory Party conference on Monday, the former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey said Christians had so far been "too timid" in their opposition to the government's plans.

He also warned that those of faith could even begin to experience the persecution endured by the Jews in Nazi Germany if they dared to speak out if same-sex marriage laws were passed.

"Remember that the Jews in Nazi Germany, what started it against them was when they were called names, that was the first stage towards that totalitarian state," he said."

His issues with gay marriage aside, his point about discrimination against people of faith could be sound. Anti blasphemy laws are being pushed in several countries. Declaring Christian principles is tantamount to "hate speech" in some countries. But the whole business of gay marriage being the cause is ridiculous imo....

There is so much intolerance inside the gay population towards religion or anybody that disagrees with their lifestyle choice that I think the ex-Archbishop is correct.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

They only dislike religion because it's demonized their lifestyle. Do gay people force you to be gay? No. Do religious folks force people to abide by their principles? For the most part, yes.

• Like 2

There is so much intolerance inside the gay population towards religion or anybody that disagrees with their lifestyle choice that I think the ex-Archbishop is correct.

And the 'Dumbass of the Week' award is yours!

dumbass_award.jpg

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 4

My mom was horrified with the whole idea of gay marriage. She asked me what I thought of it...I told her that I agreed with it. And what- they going to stop being gay because they can't marry? Just goofy to raip about it IMO.

So Carey likens Gay Marriage to Nazism? Idiot - a more appropriate simile would be with Islam, where you are condemned for your personal leanings!and will end up dead.

No-one is, or even can, dictate or even legislate to enforce Religious denominations and faiths to perform Religious ceremonies that counter their beliefs. There is still a separation of State and Religion.

Carey might want to survey all of the Gay Priests in his "order" along with Roman Catholic Gay priests and then moderate his speech. Many of these priests actually predate on their altar boys and, if true to their beliefs, should burn in hell for this... <_<

He is saying that he feels Christians right to object to Gay marriage is been infringed and that represents a slippery slope towards total oppression of the Christian beliefs - ala the suppression of the Jews in Nazi Germany. As such he is both factually incorrect, and living on a delusional cloud where the decline of Christianity is seen as the product of some mass conspiracy - rather than the simple fact that people have finally wised up to the churches manipulative ways.

Let the Christians object to Gay marriage - it discredits their beliefs among the increasingly secular majority, and to my mind that has got to be a good thing. There are no free lunches for people of dubious moral indignation anymore.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

No-one is, or even can, dictate or even legislate to enforce Religious denominations and faiths to perform Religious ceremonies that counter their beliefs. There is still a separation of State and Religion.

Marriage licenses are processed by the state, not by any religious institution. It's a State thing, not a Religion thing. The ceremony is a Religion thing, true.

Edited by Hasina

And don't forget that this nut gets an automatic seat in the house of Lords!

From the Church of England website:

"26 bishops of the Church of England sit in the House of Lords. Known as the Lords Spiritual, they read prayers at the start of each daily meeting and play a full and active role in the life and work of the Upper House."

http://www.churchofengland.org/our-views/the-church-in-parliament/bishops-in-the-house-of-lords.aspx

Edited by Atlantia

Yes because the Nazis were all about gay rights. :rolleyes:

He does have a bit of a point in regards to religious freedoms but he does a horrible job of trying to make it.

He does have a bit of a point in regards to religious freedoms but he does a horrible job of trying to make it.

What religious freedoms have been infringed ???

He is objecting simply because the country no longer accepts his opinion over their own. Its called sour grapes.

Br Cornelius

Duh, how do you think Hitler had such a perfectly formed 'stache?

That's right, his gay stylist!

--

In an essence he is right, in that you can be called a bigot for not agree'ing to gay rights. But then, turn the tables around and they'll be shouting at you for being so bigoted for not agreeing to there viewpoints.

I don't see what harm gay marriage will propose to the church, I don't think they should be made to offer marriages to same sex couples in their church if they don't want to. But, then they should be as open to that as to those who will open their churches to same-sex marriages.

Edit:

It's not like the gov't are forcing the priests to marry each other so it doesn't exactly interfere with their own lives.

Edited by GreyWeather

Duh, how do you think Hitler had such a perfectly formed 'stache?

That's right, his gay stylist!

--

In an essence he is right, in that you can be called a bigot for not agree'ing to gay rights. But then, turn the tables around and they'll be shouting at you for being so bigoted for not agreeing to there viewpoints.

I don't see what harm gay marriage will propose to the church, I don't think they should be made to offer marriages to same sex couples in their church if they don't want to. But, then they should be as open to that as to those who will open their churches to same-sex marriages.

Edit:

It's not like the gov't are forcing the priests to marry each other so it doesn't exactly interfere with their own lives.

How is opposing equal rights for gay people because of religious prejudice not a bigoted position?

I mean sheesh! If the cap fits!

You're totally right, gay marriage doesn't affect anyone but those it helps express their love.

And we've moved beyond it being the love that dare not speak it's name! The Church needs to get with the program.

funny-dog-sign-effects-of-gay-marriage.jpg

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 2

1. They only dislike religion because it's demonized their lifestyle.

2. Do gay people force you to be gay?

3. Do religious folks force people to abide by their principles? For the most part, yes.

1. I agree.

2. From my online debating I think 80% of them actually believe all people are gay. They are unable to see that their sexual desire is different from that of a hetrosexual.

3. I agree.

The lifestyle choice of homosexuality is at odds with the one deemed acceptable by religion. Homosexuals know that religion is a threat to their existance and this is why I think the ex-Archbishop is correct. I believe that given the chance homosexuals would -

1. Close down government to protect themselves.

2. Promise not to violate anyone elses rights.

3. Try to 'educate' those against them.

4. When education fails then the violation of peoples rights would begin.

5. The first violation would be the labeling of those against them as 'bigots' or 'homophobes' (Hitler used the Star of David).

6. The second violation would be employment restrictions (Hitler stopped Jews being business owners).

7. These measures will fail to make people accept their lifestyle choice leading to the third violation which is 'correction' (prison sentences and brain washing)

8. When correct fails I believe genocide would begin whereby millions of people would simply 'disappear'.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

He is objecting simply because the country no longer accepts his opinion over their own. Its called sour grapes.

Br Cornelius

The underlined part is a distortion of reality.

A lot of people dont accept gay marriage.

1. I agree.

2. From my online debating I think 80% of them actually believe all people are gay. They are unable to see that their sexual desire is different from that of a hetrosexual.

3. I agree.

The lifestyle choice of homosexuality is at odds with the one deemed acceptable by religion. Homosexuals know that religion is a threat to their existance and this is why I think the ex-Archbishop is correct. I believe that given the chance homosexuals would -

5. The first violation would be the labeling of those against them as 'bigots' or 'homophobes' (Hitler used the Star of David).

6. The second violation would be employment restrictions (Hitler stopped Jews being business owners).

7. These measures will fail to make people accept their lifestyle choice leading to the third violation which is 'correction' (prison sentences and brain washing)

8. When correct fails I believe genocide would begin whereby millions of people would simply 'disappear'.

Quite a set of achievement for a minority of just 10% of the population !! None of these fantasy scares could ever come true, and if you thought about it - you know it.

Br Cornelius

1. I agree.

3. I agree.

I'm sure racists and misogynists have the same fear about their chosen hated race or women. How does 'gay marriage' instantly translate into 'Dystopian (but trendy) Future' for straights? I understand that you listed out this as some kind of 'transition' from simple dismantlement of government to genocide, wait, no I don't. You could say the same thing about any oppressed minority but it doesn't make it true.

Edited by Hasina

1. I agree.

3. I agree.

So, the gays are going to rule the world and enforce genocide?

That seems like a logical next step.

Edited by supervike

I'm sure racists and misogynists have the same fear about their chosen hated race or women. How does 'gay marriage' instantly translate into 'Dystopian (but trendy) Future' for straights? I understand that you listed out this as some kind of 'transition' from simple dismantlement of government to genocide, wait, no I don't. You could say the same thing about any oppressed minority but it doesn't make it true.

If the UK got a government like they have in Iran you know that they would get rid of homosexuals.

I know that, you know that and they know that. Thats where the motivation to close down government would come from and is the beginning of a slippery slope which ends in horror for millions.

In my opinion their hysterical paranoid over the religious would lead them into it quite easily.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Br Cornelius

The concern is that churchs will be forced to perform gay marriage if they want to or not. That if the push for gay rights is pushed too hard that the Bible might be outlawed as hate speech. A slippery slope no doubt but that's the fear.

Marriage licenses are processed by the state, not by any religious institution. It's a State thing, not a Religion thing. The ceremony is a Religion thing, true.

The Ceremony may or may not be a "Religion"thing (Civil Ceremonies).

The concern is that churchs will be forced to perform gay marriage if they want to or not. That if the push for gay rights is pushed too hard that the Bible might be outlawed as hate speech. A slippery slope no doubt but that's the fear.

No it isn't!! There is absolutely no suggestion of this, never has been.

Civil Partnerships between same sex couples (affording the same rights as heterosexual couples) have been legal since 2004. Carey is just venting his ownextreme form of Bigotry