Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

better check that again, mr bible!

Nintendork

i had made up a list of things that kinda were odd in the bible

1. ifit said that god created humans as the first living creatures on earth, whatever happened to the dinosaurs?

2. why do they call it the land of milk and honey if honey was not discovered during king tut's reign?

3.if the bible says god created everything, then why do we have any knowledge of science?

4. what did god do to the other plantes,galaxies, ect?

5. If God did not approve of sex, then how come he wanted MORE men in his image.

OK, i am an athiest. i always asked these questions as a kid in sunday school

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crosswarrior

• PsychicPenguin

• joc

• Talon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. ifit said that god created humans as the first living creatures on earth, whatever happened to the dinosaurs?

2. why do they call it the land of milk and honey if honey was not discovered during king tut's reign?

3.if the bible says god created everything, then why do we have any knowledge of science?

5. If God did not approve of sex, then how come he wanted MORE men in his image.

There are some simple answer to these questions, the Bible was written before the creatures known as dinosaurs were known to exist by the masses, sure people would have found some bones but they would have been described as monsters such as Giants and Dragons.

Also, why did honey not exist back in King Tut's reign? people knew about the stuff that bee's make, they just did not use it that much, but other than that, the bible has been edited and altered over the years to suit the people that wanted it to say what they wanted it to. We have knowledge of science as people initially wanted to find out about things, this led to the term science being applied to what they did to find out things.

god did not do anything to the other planets, they just happened by themselves, and the bible says that god created heaven and earth, not the rest of the universe. And I don't even get the last bit, so I can't comment on it.

If God did not approve of sex, then how come he wanted MORE men in his image.

God isn't the one who didn't like sex, that should be brought to rest squarely on the shoulders of the Catholic church.

As far as monogamy, that was brought about for the stability of the family post new testament. Before that, Men were allowed to take on as many wives as they could handle.

The real questions are "why did man interpret it this way?" and "What ever happened to Lillith?" If you hadn't heard, Lillith was Adams first wife, Made from the same clay as Adam, and she was his equal. Apparently, she didn't like Adam's assumption that he was boss, and left. Then we get stuck with the inferior view of Eve, who was merely made from one of Adams ribs. Thereafter, women are no longer equals in the eyes of the religious, and sex becomes a dirty thing, that can be held against them.

First off, man was the last of god's creatures created on the sixth day (Gen 1:24-31). And the philisophical question behind this is "How long is a day to god?" Mayhap a day to god is a few million years as we count time now. Could be he experimented around with dinos and other types of creatures before fixing on man as the dominant species. Heck, we may not even be the last. But that is another thread.

As Althalus said, they knew about it, but didn't really have much use for it. The wax would have been more useful. The term "Milk and Honey" is simply a more contemporary analogy to "A better place." Whatever term was used in the original writing may have changed meaning over time, so it was changed in one of the translations.

Bible also says that God knows all and sees all. We, on the other hand, do not. He did give us intelligence so that we might figure some of the mystery out for ourselves. Faith can be a wonderful thing for those who want and accept it. But Faith and Science don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Not to contadict Al, but according to (most) beliefs, God did create the entire universe. At least they say that now. At the time the bible was put together there was no real grasp of the universe, galaxies, the solar system, or even other planets. So it would follow that there is no real mention of his actions on other worlds.

Not approve of sex? God administered the first marriage! Church sanctioned sex! There are some basic rules outlined, of course. No adultery is one. There are others you probably already know.

Lilith I'll get to in the other thread.

If God did not approve of sex, then how come he wanted MORE men in his image.

God isn't the one who didn't like sex, that should be brought to rest squarely on the shoulders of the Catholic church.

Sorry here, the Catholic Church has nothing against sex , as long as it is inside a marriage that is blessed by the church. As with any other organised religion.

i know, but im lutheran

What does that have to do with anything? I was raised in the Lutheran church (primarily), and their view of sex is no different than the Catholic view. Well, Lutherans are not so hung up on the subject, anyways.

And, no, I am no bible thumper. My many years of various religious schooling (Christian faiths) have left me a confirmed agnostic. mellow.gif

Nintendork Posted on Oct 19 2003, 02:23 PM

OK, i am an athiest

Nintendork Posted on Oct 20 2003, 04:10 AM

i know, but im lutheran

huh.gif

Did you find religion over night?

Edited by schadeaux

Nintendork, I thought we discussed this. Please stop making nonsense posts, if you want to be taken seriously.

Thank you.

Edited by Phantom

• 1 month later...

My queastion is not whither the Bible is true or not. But why those who say on one hand that everything in it is true say that witches, sorcerors, and warlock are not true when God says to kill those people. Why worry about having something killed that does not exist? huh.gif

does the bible really say "KILL ALL WARLOCKS WITCHES AND SORCERERS" ????

huh.gifdontgetit.gifwacko.gifblink.gif

And man also or womanthat hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones; there blood shall be upon them Leviticus 20:27.

Sounds dead to me cool.gif

But then there have ben other times that God has let people off the hook of "death worthy times" Why would a man you killes another man to take his wife be allowed to live; and a witch, who may not even be doing anything hurtful be command to die? Where is the line ? I honestly don't know why God shows mercy to some and judgement ot others.

Sorry here, the Catholic Church has nothing against sex , as long as it is inside a marriage that is blessed by the church. As with any other organised religion.

Three words:

Nuns

Monks

Priests

Name one saint that wasn't one of the three listed. Are these folks allowed to partake in the pleasures of the flesh, even in marriage?

(I fully believe in marriage. I go to a church where the pastor is married and has six kids. He's constantly preaching the virtues of marriage.)

BTW...Regarding previous posts...

I am not a man hating feminist. Nor do think the big "THEY" are out to oppress women. I just believe that occasionally throughout history things have been misinterpreted to the detriment of some groups of people.

(ie until the 1980's, the Mormon Church believed that when God cast Caine and his children "into darkness" that God was referring to dark skinned people. Secondary to this, people with dark skin -Native American, African, etc...-were allowed to be converted LDS, but could not attend temple like the rest of the congregation.)

I believe it is very possible-even probable-that the bible has been misinterpretted and mistranslated by the men who compiled the books that are read today. There is even evidence to suggest that the original hebrew manuscripts were misconstrued.

I believe that the ORIGINAL AUTOGRAPHS that the original writers who understood the original concept and truth of what we now call the  BIBLE were inspired by the SPIRIT of the ALMIGHTY...

...We are compelled to investigate  3 little words that have shaped our past and possibly our eternity.  Translation, Version and Transliteration.

'Knock and the door will be opened to you , seek and you will find...'

We must remember - we are  intelligent humans made in the 'image and likeness' of Yah (God) and our brains should not be disengaged when reading the Bible or listening to someone preach or teach us!  PLEASE don't be ignorant!

All of our study and investigation should however be fueled by the Spirit of Yah. When we study as the Bible has stated,  we must 'show our selves approved of Yah, as a WORKMAN, needing not to be ashamed, RIGHTLY DIVIDING the word of TRUTH. 

But if you can RIGHTLY DIVIDE then the opposite is also true...we can WRONGLY DIVIDE the word of TRUTH.

When we are reading the King James Version, American Standard, New World Translation, New English Version, Jewish New Testament, Latin Vulgate or any other Bible can we be sure that it is accurately based on the original African Text? 

If not then are we suppose to let it rest there and not ask some pertinent questions?  We need to get away from the notion that PRINT  is the truth - check me out too and don't disengage your brain!

When the Hellenistic Hebrews translated the Bible (Septuagint) it was customary to add letters to the ends of thename of the people and places in the Bible to or change the names to make it sound more Greek, and to obscure the relationship between the Shemetic tribe and Khemetic tribes. Political struggles abounded - and the adversary was trying to divide, conquer and co-opt.

Translation, Transliteration, and Versions

The above post is absolutely correct; and hits on the head the true problems with the bible.

Unfortunately, Nintendork has decided to ignore the true problems of translation and instead quibble about several non-issues. (Three of which he was completely incorrect and unfounded about in the first place... and the others that were easily and earnestly explained away.)

Otherwise, everyone has said exactly what I have to say about this topic; so thank you.

When you want to attack the bible for it's true faults, then we can have a discussion... until then, do a little research before you do your b****ing! wink2.giforiginal.gif

Okay Field Day!!!!!! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Number 1 - Is considered the "Gap Theory".... Go here to read about it!!! -

Gap Theory

Also in my opinion on this .... I think God put the Dinosaurs here for millions of years to aid us... because what is a product of fossils of dinosaure and other reptiles/animals from millions of years ago?.... OIL!!! Without the dinosaurs there would be no OIL/CRUDE.... So see God had a plan all along!!!

Number 2 - Israel is called the Land of Milk and Honey, stemming from two Biblical verses, from chapter 16 in the Book of Numbers and Chapter 26 in the Book of Deuteronomy, when God promises the land to Moses and the children of Israel. Honey was discovered around 8,000 BCE. (What does King Tut have to do with it? rolleyes.gif )

On to Number 3 - Why wouldn't we have knowledge of science... what "science" are you talking about... Some sciences are just theories!! Like "DARWIN"... and evolution! So just because we (humans) supposedly "Know Science"... doesn't mean that the Science is right! I DON"T believe I originated from a MONKEY or any other living organism!!! So why wouldn't God give us special knowledge of Science... there are a lot of things out there that were interesting to discover.

Number 4 - First of all ... very unintelligent question.... what do you mean "what did god do to the other plantes,galaxies, ect?" What do you want him to do with them??? He created them... isn't that a fantastic Mircale in itself? I don't believe Godhas to give us a reason for the things he has done... Maybe he wanted to give us something to do... there are lots of interesting and fascinating things in outer space... God put us on this planet to LIVE and THRIVE... and part of living is having fun and interests and hobbies. Who knows WHY he created the other planets ... but why question it... it's a great thing!

Now my Favorite... Number 5 - Where on EARTH did you ever get that GOD doesn't like Sex? God created sex to be a beautiful and enjoyable act to be between TWO MARRIED PEOPLE!!! (Opposite Sex BTW). To be able to reproduce and express their LOVE!!! He isn't against SEX... he created it! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Glad I could educate you!!! wink2.gifwink2.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

And your quote.....

"I'm an Athiest"...
<shakes head.... tis a sad thing> crying.gif

you make some very good points nxt2hvn! I am not one to argue with a woman who has a man controller. I also notice that you take a few non traditional stands as well. Props for some original thought. thumbsup.gif

you make some very good points nxt2hvn! I am not one to argue with a woman who has a man controller. I also notice that you take a few non traditional stands as well. Props for some original thought. thumbsup.gif

Thanks Moe!!

I wouldn't use my Hemote Control on you ..... well unless absolutely necessary! thumbsup.gif

Hmmm... let me put my own reply, from atheist for another atheist.

Read the bible.

God created the living creatures on Gen 1:24

then God created men on Gen 1:26

And the author of Genesis has no idea about dinosaurs.

As Nxt2Hvn said, What does King Tut have to do with it?

Science is a "thing", so it is a subset of "everything". So if God created "everything" by definition he also created science.

The author of the bible didn't have any clue about what you are talking about. Galaxies??? Anyway, Nxt2Hvn answered it well enough.

WHAT??? You really MUST read the "Song of Solomon". Where did you find that God did not approve sex???? How can we still find Christians today?? If their relligion doesn't approve sex, then by natural selection Christianity should have been extinct by now.

OK, i am an athiest. i always asked these questions as a  kid in sunday school

If you are an atheist then you are not supposed to be ignorant. Study the bible properly before making your decission. It doesn't hurt to study the bible, considering it can make quite a lot of money if you know what you are doing thumbsup.gif

Another thing to note when attacking religion is that you can never disprove the existance of god in general.

You might be able to disprove a certain god , but whether or not a god exists will never be determined ( unless of course he comes booming down to us ) .

I think the thing that drives this discussions is that while all of us are will to give a measure of tolerence to anothers beliefs; there comes a point for Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Hindu... when we have backed up to the point when we can go no further without becoming traitor to our core belief. Then at that point we either accept the other side as right, or launch into a crusade in which we dare not lose; for we feel that if we lose the crusade, we lose our faith.

• 2 weeks later...
1. if it said that god created humans as the first living creatures on earth, whatever happened to the dinosaurs?

answers to your questions as best as i can answer. illl go back and answer #4 later.

1. it doesnt. its says God made the beasts before the humans, unless you are talking about a different bible than mine.

2. it could be god inspired, meaning god told the writers of the bible to write it, but not what it meant.

3. just because someone believes in God doesnt mean science is to be ignored. i am a hard core catholic, yet an evolutionist. science is just an extension of Gods power in a way humans can understand.

5. God doesnt dissaprove of sex, just abuse of it, like sex before marrige and m********ion.

hey by the way soulfire78.....read a book called Saints for Sinners.....very good book that does explain and give stories about the lives of MANY Catholic saints that were married, and participated in "sexual intercourse." Also, in that book, you will find many stories of thieves, prostitues, murderers, etc... that had a conversion and are now saints in the Catholic Church. So just because you don't know and havent bothered to research, there are saints besides Priests, monks, and nuns. grin2.gif

Nxt2Hvn

Lilleth? huh.gif