Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New Black hole theory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:35 AM

NEW THEORY ON BLACK HOLE

user posted image

A 30-year-old scientific theory about black holes has been turned inside out by Professor Stephen Hawking.          

Prof Hawking, one of the world's leading scientists, has solved the riddle of how black holes not only suck matter in like a giant vacuum in space but also release it.

Scientists were for years baffled by the holes which they believed were bottomless pits in space into which matter and energy would fall, vanishing forever.          

But Prof Hawking told the 17th General Relativity Gravitational conference in Dublin that new calculations proved the surface of a black hole has fluctuations allowing information to leak out.          

In a 1974 study, Cambridge mathematician Prof Hawking found that black holes were not completely black, as they emitted energy which became known as Hawking radiation.          

This leaking of energy would shrink the black hole before it disappeared in a final explosion.

Scientists were puzzled for 30 years as to how a black hole can let energy escape.          

The basic problem was that black holes would suck in matter from space but also quantum mechanical information.          

According to the fundamental laws of physics, this information must be preserved as the universe evolves.          

Prof Hawking, who suffers from motor neurone disease, revealed new calculations which show the event horizon, or surface of the black hole, has quantum fluctuations in it.          

These fluctuations allow information in the black hole to leak out, and a consistent picture is formed and the paradox unravelled.

Link

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    4dplane

4dplane

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

• To study where I stand, teaches me what I have been missing.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:26 AM

Hands down to Hawking for accepting he was wrong about black holes for 29 years. To have a belief for almost 3 decades and then in the end prove yourself wrong and tell the world of your findings has got to be hard to do. Go Steve!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRE...IL&SECTION=HOME

Any belief is a self protecting device through which the mind disconnects itself from truth. Only a mind that is free from any anticipation, hope, and belief can act justly and in alliance with truth and reality.
-Krishnamurti

Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.
-Mark Twan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users