Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photoshop can only be rented from now on

questionmark

There’s a new reason for Photoshop to be famous.

Yes, it’s still the program that just about every photographer and designer on earth uses to retouch or even reimagine photos. Yes, it’s still the only program whose name is a verb.

But now, Photoshop is also the biggest-name software that you can’t actually buy. You can only rent it, for a month or a year at a time. If you ever stop paying, you keep your files but lose the ability to edit them.

Read more

Now I am even happier to use the GIMP for ages now....

• Like 2

Good bye Photoshop it was nice knowing you..

• Like 1

will not bother me, I am still trying to get the hang of "paint".

• Like 4

My photoshop 7 always worked great. Never saw a reason to upgrade it. They can't take that away from me. :-)

• Like 8

dang, this will mean a dramatic decrease in "genuine UFO pics" !!!!

• Like 9

My photoshop 7 always worked great. Never saw a reason to upgrade it. They can't take that away from me. :-)

I still have a 5 and a 6... and with every computer upgrade they just get ported with the harddisk.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've see this with some other programs as well(licensed for a year, for example, when it used to be forever) with new editions, but I did not know Photoshop was now doing that(I don't use it)

I also have kept my various "older programs" for that reason.

GIMP is great as well as most all of the Linux distro OS and programs. And they're free. Updates and new editions are free.

Surely Shotophop is the most discredited software package ever. It exists purely to allow people to fake things, and that, surely, is reprehnsible.

And equally as much, it's such a handy thing for the Cynics to fall back on. "Photoshop!!!" is an all purpose cry by the cynics in response to any photo of any paranormal phenomenon anyone ever posts.

they sure faked pictures already in times when "photoshop" was something you drove your ford model t into town for. but it's true, it is the most damaging thing that happened to the credibility of "photographic proof"

• Like 2

When I heard that one I realized what idiots Adobe has turned out to be.

I still have Photoshop CS and I might upgrade OR get PS Elements but now I think I will

stick with what I have and use Photoshop CS and Paint.Net.

I tried GIMP but I really did not like it. Start up was laggy and it just didn't click for me.

Well, at any rate Adobe wants more money and it is evident with the price tags they put on their software; no one can afford it really and now they want you to rent it and basically run it off their servers. Sorry but when I use a program, I want to use it when I want and I am not going to log onto anything. Don't need anyone snooping on my computer while I work.

Oh well...Adobe had a good thing going until they pulled this garbage. Hate to see it go that way...

• Like 1

Should do what Microsoft did. Release an alternative cloud operated software that is significantly cheaper (office 365) while not removing anything else. While there are a lot of photographers on the road who may not have this kind of access possible they are restricting people to. I see a lot of lost possible revenue.

I still have a 5 and a 6... and with every computer upgrade they just get ported with the harddisk.

I have CS3 at work but prefer the 7 version I have at home. It's way easier working with animated GIF files with Image Ready and they did away with that after version 7.

Sounds lame. **** that ****, paint is the real deal !

man, how can this even seem like a good business decision to them? 600 dollars a year for a fully functional version of the program?

well, it's a great way to send even more people to freeware products, i guess. i know the same thing happened with microsoft office for me; haven't touched that in years. there are plenty of free office programs that work just as well, or better.

They are just at the forefront of software development and retail, this is the future that is all...

Change always provokes negative comments, and unless you are into pirated software (ahem :blush: ) this should be an improvement.

Edited by Junior Chubb

I agree, but if it leads to the demise of Shotophop, it's a suicidal business decision I can only welcome.

I agree, but if it leads to the demise of Shotophop, it's a suicidal business decision I can only welcome.

It would have to be one hell of a clanger to kill off Photoshop...

Stranger things have happened though. Look at Kodak. A name synonymous with photography, they lost the plot, but through not keeping up rather than trying to push forward too quickly.

It would be odd if we continued to talk about 'Photoshopping' images long after Photoshop's demise.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Image/video editing is certainly getting much more sophisticated, largely driven by the advanced home computing technologies(processor, memory, video card)

Programming such high-level software to utilize the newer technologies takes a lot of time and a lot of people.

I don't know where I was going with this, so I guess I'll leave it at that for now.

• Like 1

Image/video editing is certainly getting much more sophisticated, largely driven by the advanced home computing technologies(processor, memory, video card)

Programming such high-level software to utilize the newer technologies takes a lot of time and a lot of people.

I don't know where I was going with this, so I guess I'll leave it at that for now.

The program is still locally run. Microsoft office 365 involves cloud stored software and 5 pc licenses for $99 for a year. A lot fairer system than Adobes. Implementing this renting system will only involve more people.

GIMP should be more than adequate for the casual home user ...

~

GIMP should be more than adequate for the casual home user ...

~

It is more than adequate for most professional uses too. Many of the 3d source Photoshop plug ins (NoiseNinja, Perfect Resize... etc) can also be run on the Gimp. And if you use the Gimp under Linux/Unix it beats Photoshop under Windows any day hands down (Does not reach the Mac performance though).

• Like 1

Any 'professional' using GIMP is not considered a professional.

anybody who earns money with whatever is a professional... no matter what snobs consider him/her.

• Like 1