Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Honey! The superbug killer

bouncer

Heres a sweet story! Honey can kill all sorts of microbial baddies!

(Provided not more bees die this year)

"Australian researchers have been astonished to discover a cure-all right under their noses — a honey sold in health food shops as a natural medicine.

Far from being an obscure health food with dubious healing qualities, new research has shown the honey kills every type of bacteria scientists have thrown at it, including the antibiotic-resistant “superbugs” plaguing hospitals and killing patients around the world.

Some bacteria have become resistant to every commonly prescribed antibacterial drug. But scientists found that Manuka honey, as it is known in New Zealand, or jelly bush honey, as it is known in Australia, killed every bacteria or pathogen it was tested on."

source: http://zen-haven.dk/honey-the-superbug-killer/

edit to add, if any folk down under send me a jar, I'll send by return some Marmite! :P

Edited by bouncer

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bouncer

• Simbi Laveau

• Helen of Annoy

• susieice

Oh, it’s dawning on official science there are amazing natural stuff around? Well, better late than never.

Bacteria don’t develop resistance to natural bactericides, found in garlic, honey, sage, calendula, just to name few of my favourites.

Oh, it’s dawning on official science there are amazing natural stuff around? Well, better late than never.

Bacteria don’t develop resistance to natural bactericides, found in garlic, honey, sage, calendula, just to name few of my favourites.

yep this world, as much as we hurt her, has all we need to be well, Mother Earth and all that. Like in the rainforests and jungles where they find miracle cures, for free, then synthesize it and produce it en-masse at great cost!

Im keeping my eye on this honey story...

yep this world, as much as we hurt her, has all we need to be well, Mother Earth and all that. Like in the rainforests and jungles where they find miracle cures, for free, then synthesize it and produce it en-masse at great cost!

Im keeping my eye on this honey story...

Nothing lasts forever, so this reign of greed won’t last forever.

In the meantime, with all respect to Manuka honey, every real honey has great properties. The easiest way to tell which jar contains real honey and which is filled with coloured sugar gooeyfied to resemble honey is if the contents crystallize or not.

Fake honey stays clear and gel-like, real honey crystallizes and becomes non-transparent and more solid. If you have a jar for more than few weeks and it hasn’t started to crystallize, it’s not honey. (Except honey from bees that fed on acacia and few other plants only, such honey crystallizes after longer period of time.)

It takes only to heat it up a little and it will regain its original honey texture.

Well.. its not a new news.

The therauptic uses of Honey was and is well known in Ayurveda.

Historically, honey has been used by humans to treat a variety of ailments through topical application, but only recently have the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of honey been chemically explained.

In Ayurveda, a 4000-year-old medicine originating from India, honey is considered to positively affect all three primitive material imbalances of the body. "Vaatalam guru sheetam cha raktapittakaphapaham| Sandhatru cchedanam ruksham kashayam madhuram madhu|| "It has sweetness with added astringent as end taste. It is heavy, dry and cold. Its effect ondoshas (imbalances) is that it aggravates vata (air / moving forces), scrapes kapha (mucus / holding forces) and normalizes pitta (catabolic fire) and rakta (blood). It promotes the healing process." Some wound gels which contain antibacterial raw honey and have regulatory approval are now available to help treat drug-resistant strains of bacteria (MRSA). One New Zealand researcher says a particular type of honey (Manuka honey) may be useful in treating MRSA infections.[61])

Source

A effective tip to Weight Loss , with Honey : Mix one tablespoon of Honey with Lime juice in one glass of lukewarm water. every day immediately after you wake up. its a detox drink.

I take it often.

Edited by The_Spartan

Watch,the FDA will declare it a drug now.

They seem to feel anything that claims to have healing properties,must be controlled by them.

Apparently,there's " fake" honey being markerted

So everyone needs to be sure of what they are buying.

Let me find a link about it.

http://ecobites.com/eco-news-articles/natural-health/3487-are-you-buying-fake-honey

http://www.texashomesteader.com/2012/02/01/fake-honey/

http://cellphonesafety.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/honey-and-fake-honey/

Edited by missymoo999

Well.. its not a new news.

The therauptic uses of Honey was and is well known in Ayurveda.

Source

A effective tip to Weight Loss , with Honey : Mix one tablespoon of Honey with Lime juice in one glass of lukewarm water. every day immediately after you wake up. its a detox drink.

I take it often.

I do a tablespoon of honey ,with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar ,pour a cup of boiling water over it,and do a hot tea.

Detox ,weight,and fights a cold.

Edited by missymoo999

I do a tablespoon of honey ,with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar ,pour a cup of boiling water over it,and do a hot tea.

That sounds good, my mum keeps nagging me to take cider vinegar! Maybe with some honey I wont taste the vinegar!!

I've always known that honey will disinfect and heal a cut faster than any ointment you can purchase in a drugstore. I saw wound care patches being tested in hospitals that now contain honey when I was in California. They're expensive at the moment but hopefully they'll catch on.

The only honey I get and I always have some, is crystalized raw honey from my local natural foods store. Love it. A spoon is all that's necessary.

I've always known that honey will disinfect and heal a cut faster than any ointment you can purchase in a drugstore. I saw wound care patches being tested in hospitals that now contain honey when I was in California. They're expensive at the moment but hopefully they'll catch on.

The only honey I get and I always have some, is crystalized raw honey from my local natural foods store. Love it. A spoon is all that's necessary.

If you read about the ancient Egyptians, you will see that honey was the staple for their healing. It amazes me that the 'new' studies are finding what our ancestors already knew....

That sounds good, my mum keeps nagging me to take cider vinegar! Maybe with some honey I wont taste the vinegar!!

No,you still taste the vinegar,but it's quite nice.Slightly an acquired taste,but it's good.

Some people take it with seaweed tablets,and say it helps with weight loss.

I do it when I have a cold.

I've used honey as an antiseptic on my dogs forever it also appears to promote healing.

It does. Use it on your kids and yourself also. Will seal and protect an open wound.

Thats it then. Im pouring honey on my next GF in order to heal her.

Then Im gonna lick it all off in order to heal myself!

Win Win situation.

maybe a bit sticky tho!

Win Win situation.

maybe a bit sticky tho!

I actually have a phobia about being sticky! I couldn't stand having it poured on me. I get chills just thinking about it. Weird huh?

Win Win situation.

maybe a bit sticky tho!

LMAO! too funny!:w00t:

That had better work, I have one heck of a cold right now and have started driinking this concoction.:D

Huh.. hopefully honeybees aren't over-farmed if this does "catch on".

Are majority of bee-farms still experiencing colony collapse disorder? Or has that calmed down?

Honey applied topically might be anti-bacterial, but internally ? :unsure: I always thought honey or sugar would keep a wound antiseptic by drawing moisture out of the bugs so killing them, but I doubt Manuka Honey is some cure-all for bacteria in the body or bloodstream. Tastes good though !

Heres a sweet story! Honey can kill all sorts of microbial baddies!

(Provided not more bees die this year)

"Australian researchers have been astonished to discover a cure-all right under their noses — a honey sold in health food shops as a natural medicine.

Far from being an obscure health food with dubious healing qualities, new research has shown the honey kills every type of bacteria scientists have thrown at it, including the antibiotic-resistant “superbugs” plaguing hospitals and killing patients around the world.

Some bacteria have become resistant to every commonly prescribed antibacterial drug. But scientists found that Manuka honey, as it is known in New Zealand, or jelly bush honey, as it is known in Australia, killed every bacteria or pathogen it was tested on."

source: http://zen-haven.dk/...uperbug-killer/

that's been common knowledge for ages,lol.........well....for me anyway.......i have old mate down the road that sells his own.......but if u try and me marmite.......be prepared to get it back : )

edit to add, if any folk down under send me a jar, I'll send by return some Marmite! :P

I have to agree with Cluey. The Vedas and other ancient literature mention the use of honey as a great medicinal and health food.

Honey as an Antibiotic: Scientists Identify a Secret Ingredient in Honey That Kills Bacteria LINK

Sweet news for those looking for new antibiotics: A new research published in the July 2010 print edition of the FASEB Journal explains for the first time how honey kills bacteria. Specifically, the research shows that bees make a protein that they add to the honey, called defensin-1, which could one day be used to treat burns and skin infections and to develop new drugs that could combat antibiotic-resistant infections.

We use Manuka at home, most of the Manuka products we have come from New Zealand.

Do not send me any Marmite, can't stand the stuff, Vegemite all the way!

I have to agree with Cluey. The Vedas and other ancient literature mention the use of honey as a great medicinal and health food.

Honey as an Antibiotic: Scientists Identify a Secret Ingredient in Honey That Kills Bacteria LINK

Sweet news for those looking for new antibiotics: A new research published in the July 2010 print edition of the FASEB Journal explains for the first time how honey kills bacteria. Specifically, the research shows that bees make a protein that they add to the honey, called defensin-1, which could one day be used to treat burns and skin infections and to develop new drugs that could combat antibiotic-resistant infections.

We use Manuka at home, most of the Manuka products we have come from New Zealand.

Do not send me any Marmite, can't stand the stuff, Vegemite all the way!

reminds me a little when I was at language school in Sweden, there was a 'sheila' there...I mean an ozzy women, and we one day had to practice our new language and had to do a skit on our 'own home' lives, for the benefit of the 'other' cultures in the class, and of course to practice the language.. I rambled on about the English folk, cockney slang, pie and mash, fish and chips, cups of tea and that sort of stuff, while the ozzy girl said pretty much nothing except how she was bought up on vegemite!! She even produce a jar and with crackers and we all tried some. NOT ONE of the others in the class could take more than one nibble, I of course and her could wolf it down..

But then we got into a friendly argument about marmite v vegemite. Me of course saying it was all inspired from the UK with marmite being the king...her defending vegemite. As a marmite lover and trier of vegemite, you guys really dont know what youre missing...us brits got the recipe spot on.. and you guys have to add you're own twist to it....shocking!

Vegemite aint as 'hard' as marmite either!!

marmite all the way. :yes:

I'll have to try some with honey actually..

Edited by bouncer