Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Calls for Blair to resign

Lionel

Tony Woodley, the Left-wing leader of the transport workers union, called yesterday for Tony Blair to consider resigning and demanded that he apologise to the British people as the Trades Union Congress officially condemned the war in Iraq.

Mr Woodley, the TGWU general secretary, said that if he were the Prime Minister he would consider stepping down because of the loss of thousands of lives and the failure to find weapons of mass destruction.

Full Story

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thepsychoticseaotter

• Nancy

• Homer

• Aslan

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Mr. Blair can stand against this latest attack on him.

He's certainly had to take enough bashing since siding with Bush,

who I'm sure he sincerely believed in.

They will do just fine. It is the true test of a leader to go against "popular" opinion and do what is right. They have and will continue to do so.

Mr Woodley, the TGWU general secretary, said that if he were the Prime Minister he would consider stepping down because of the loss of thousands of lives and the failure to find weapons of mass destruction.

"thousands of lives" ?????????

To lose one life is horrible, but this is WAR!

I pray that PM Blair will stick to his guns, he is such a brilliant man

so well versed and well spoken. The world needs him, badly.

Hang on Tony!! thumbsup.gifwub.gif

There will always be opposing sides that'll never agree.

In my opinion he stood up for what he thought was right, not for his own gains but for Britain as a whole.

I agree with Nancy, the world needs him and more people like him.

I'd be interested to hear what the Poms have to say though.

huh.gif

Bush And Blair both said this would be a different kind of war. I don't think many were prepaired for this. It has been a long hard road for both of them. I just hope someone connected to MR. Blair reads this to show he has support in the States as well.

Both have done a great job in my opinion and I hope to see them in office a long time.

Personally, I hope Blair hangs in there. I sincerely believe he did what he thought was right. Whether it turned out to be right or not is a completely different story, but he did what he believed was the right thing to do.

My own personal opinions about the Iraqi War aside, I still believe Blair to be a man of integrity - or at least as much integrity as you could hope from a politician.

I agree with Aslan and Nancy. Blair did what he thought was best for his nation and the world, and didn't put his own political future first. According to the American media, he didn't have a lot of support from the general population, which would make him more of a leader than a politician.

I respect Tony Blair a great deal for his leadership and his principles thumbsup.gif

The trade union leaders are always bashing Blair. And if I had a pound for every time the hard-left called for his head, I'd have...well, a few hundred quid, anyway.

I don't like Blair, he and New Labour have an agenda more about staying in power, than actually doing a good job.

BUT...

This was a just war, and Blair showed tremendous courage in standing by our allies, the US. I could give you half-a-dozen reasons why Blair should go, but not for this.

Credit where credit's due, and Tony Blair deserves a hell of a lot.

Well..."thousands of lives" is a gross exageration...most of the casualties on our side was caused by friendly fire from US troops, and it certainly didn't number in the thousands...

Anyway, I agree that Blair was probably doing what he thought was right, and what Bush told him to do...which, in fairness, is probably a good idea. Being in the good books of the US is where you want to be, because god help you if you're not...

I don't agree with the war myself...and how it was waged was an absolute blunder...but once it was brought to a quick finish, and Saddam was knocked out of his position, I think it's safe to say it was probably a good thing as far as the middle east goes.

I still do, however, find the pretense of "weapons of mass destruction" and "protecting our freedom" rather insulting...let's face it, we knew every weapon Saddam had, because the US armed him in the first place...even if he did have anything worthwhile to use against us, the best method of delivering it would be to have six guys pick up a missile, run, and throw...I have a feeling he couldn't touch us.

The war was about propaganda...saying it was about anything else (except maybe oil) is missleading at best...still, using it as ammunition against Blair is silly. He did what he felt he had to do, and if nothing else, it did remove a vicious dictator from power in the middle east.

Now, if you wanna knock Blair, knock him over the situation with assylum seekers, or that you could read his party manifesto, and you'll have gotten the Tory manifesto for the price of one.

as always the dogooders forget what these,,,people that we try to get rid of are like....madass hussien...chemical weopens against his own people in the iran/iraq war..because his people let the enemy walk throught the town....and like a dry rock would have stopped them...

i have always been aware of..and history will prove me right or close to perfect,,,,,

BE AWARE OF PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT VOTED BY THE FREE PEOPLE....NOTE THE WORD FREE.....VOTING FOR MR NUTCASE WHILE YOUR FAMILY ARE HELD AT GUN POINT DOES NOT COUNT..I.E....town A vote for me or your chemed out...

I heard a news report today it went something like this. "Three shot, one dead and in another incident three more shot all in the head, two are in guarded condition one critical as the violence continues (here is where I expected to hear the reporter to say, "in Iraq" but he added) in this Baltimore city neighborhood last night"

They then announced how many murders to date took place in Washington D.C.

It's safer for you and your family in Iraq than in Washington D.C. or any other major city in the U.S.

These are some crime statistics. They are a few years old and I hear we are doing better now.

CRIME STATS

My point to this post is: I am sick and tired of hearing the media reporting how bad it is in Iraq. Bush and Blair have done a great job. We've liberated the people of Afghanistan and Iraq. We've fought and won two major wars in less than a year and lost less lives than we loose on our highways to drunk drivers in the same time span. Yet the press calls Bush and Blair failures and war mongers. I remember 911 and the 3000+ we lost in a few hours at the hands of those we are fighting now. I'm behind Bush and Blair 110%

Calm down Steff. From what I could make out of that post I do agree with you and you are right....Just take some time to type it out.

Perhaps some of us have forgotten the focus of this Thread. The mention of resignation deals with WMD's and the War in Iraq.

In view of the fact I live in the USA, I can only express my opinion on how Mr. Blair has handled the intense criticisms concerning Iraq. I would never pretend to analyze other political/social problems for which he is ultimately responsible, along with all members of the government.

j6p? Again, we are on the same wavelength.