Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged x 2 ] Lion on Loose in Essex

Junior Chubb

If it had been a cougar, I would say tie out David Beckham, that would make me come out!!

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Police have called off a search for a lion reportedly on the loose in Essex.

Officers have spent almost 24 hours combing the countryside around Clacton-on-Sea after a group of residents yesterday claimed to have seen the king of the jungle near Earls Hall Drive in St Osyth.

But after search teams found no evidence of the big cat, the force this afternoon decided to stop looking.

Witnesses reported seeing a lioness in fields stalking up and down a hedgerow before it was disturbed by a farmer and ran off.

Armed officers and Colchester Zoo workers armed with tranquiliser guns searched for pawprints after sightings of the animal were reported at 7pm on Sunday.

Police urged residents in the village to remain inside their homes as the search for the big cat continued.

But on Monday an Essex Police spokesman said: "We believe what was seen on Sunday evening was either a large domestic cat or a wildcat.

"Extensive searches have been carried out, areas examined and witnesses spoken to; yet nothing has been found to suggest that a lion was in the area.

"We would like to thank the local community and holidaymakers for their patience and support throughout the past 24 hours as the police and media presence would have been somewhat overwhelming for them."

Seen by a homesick Millwall supporter?

Original article: http://www.huffingto..._n_1832982.html

'Lion' In Essex: Police Call Off Search For Big Cat

The Huffington Post UK | Posted: 27/08/2012 14:49 Updated: 27/08/2012 15:23

Hey Saru, how about a PM when you move a guys threads? I thought you'd deleted it because I used the word p***y for domestic cat and the forum filter picked it up!

2.5ft high and about 4ft long

Here is a quote from the panther sighting under the main article. LOL sorry that is not a panther, I have seen our native Florida panther in the wild and they are bigger than that. That size is just a big kitty cat.

Hey Saru, how about a PM when you move a guys threads? I thought you'd deleted it because I used the word p***y for domestic cat and the forum filter picked it up!

I didn't move your thread.

That said, you did post the same topic immediately above the existing one (twice) in the same section. :hmm:

• Like 1

I didn't move your thread.

That said, you did post the same topic immediately above the existing one (twice) in the same section. :hmm:

I posted it once and it was deleted, so I posted it again having altered the word that I thought had given offence.

I posted it once and it was deleted, so I posted it again having altered the word that I thought had given offence.

It wasn't deleted, it was merged with this thread.

The article has changed a few times (Mail) since posting the link, they originally mentioned a zoo, now its a circus lion...

Oh god, with how they treat them, it will porbably be really agressive. I'd certianly stay in my house. lol

They say it's from Colchester Zoo

Essex police are working with experts from Colchester Zoo who believe the reports to be genuine after being shown a photograph by a member of the public.

That doesn't mention it coming from there.

"Witnesses reported seeing a lioness in fields stalking up and down a hedgerow before it was disturbed by a farmer and ran off."

I just watched the interview with the couple, they actually said it was lying down preening, and stood up to look at them momentarily before moving off when seeing the farmer. Nothing of 'stalking', which I guess makes the story sexier since their story made it sound so benevolent.

Add this to the changing details on where the lion 'did' come from shown in this thread...my diagnosis, bad journalism!

Oh in the name of god....some now think a cat was mistaken for a male lion or a lioness,depending on which report you read..?...its getting to the point now where this country is running out of villages for all the idiots we seem to have in our midst..!

Edited by BrianPotter
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the BBC and some papers today have fixated on the wrong photo as the so-called evidence - and which TBH looks like the infamous large soft-toy tiger which has caused mistaken reports before.

Edited by Oppono Astos

LMAO, class.

Stumbling home from the pub and seeing this, sobering to say the least.

Thanks,

Have they posted the actual picture the people took?

Essex 'lion': Spotter adamant 'big cat is out there'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-essex-19396019

If you listen to the video, they're still very much convinced.

Would a lion - hungry by now - just sit there and watch his 'free food' walk by?

And the cat's face on the photo doesn't look anything like a lion's or a leopard's face.

• Like 1

They searched for nearly 24 hours and found no evidence of any big cat...so...it must have been walking on its tiptoes whilst hiding from everyone searching and never emptied its...errmm...bowels..once..(admittedly i dont know what a lions bodily functions are like but i would imagine they are quite large)

Would a lion - hungry by now - just sit there and watch his 'free food' walk by?

And the cat's face on the photo doesn't look anything like a lion's or a leopard's face.

Essex lion was my pet cat Teddy Bear' - owner

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-essex-19397686

They searched for nearly 24 hours and found no evidence of any big cat...so...it must have been walking on its tiptoes whilst hiding from everyone searching and never emptied its...errmm...bowels..once..(admittedly i dont know what a lions bodily functions are like but i would imagine they are quite large)

Maybe not a nice idea for an experiment, but they should tie a goat or sheep to a pole in the middle of that field, preferably near the trees and shrubs, and watch what happens (on camera).

I will bet that if it's indeed a big cat, the goat or sheep will be in trouble.... but if it's a domestic cat, even a large one, nothing will happen,

• Like 2