Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Does Dan Brown have a secret agenda ?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View Postlaver, on 23 January 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

Believer?

Oh my no, lol. I've been an atheist and now more of a 'don't care'-theist.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#17    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

If he's got a secret agenda, I certainly hope it isn't to be entertaining - as he's written a number of turgid, overly long novels full of cyphers and cliches masquerading as characters.
Ohh look, it's the villainous priest who hides behind his faith versus the stolid and reliable polymath with a "quirky" personality.
Ohh look, it's a sinister secret society encoding their knowledge into paintings.
Ohh look, it's an ancient bloodline whose sole surviving member is totally in the dark as to their true nature.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#18    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostHasina, on 23 January 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Oh my no, lol. I've been an atheist and now more of a 'don't care'-theist.

Interesting !

#19    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 24 January 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

If he's got a secret agenda, I certainly hope it isn't to be entertaining - as he's written a number of turgid, overly long novels full of cyphers and cliches masquerading as characters.
Ohh look, it's the villainous priest who hides behind his faith versus the stolid and reliable polymath with a "quirky" personality.
Ohh look, it's a sinister secret society encoding their knowledge into paintings.
Ohh look, it's an ancient bloodline whose sole surviving member is totally in the dark as to their true nature.

80millioncopiesofTDVCsayurwrong !

#20    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

View Postlaver, on 24 January 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

80millioncopiesofTDVCsayurwrong !
Someones personal opinion of a genre cannot be wrong. Also he does have the gist of it. Heck I liked some of his books. I can read fantasy/conspiracy and enjoy it for what it is. I tend to dismiss conspiracy in real life though. Are there conspiracies? Sure. Is everything a game changing apocalyptic rewrite everything we know conspiracy? Probably not. There are glaring falsehoods in Dan browns novels. So whilst it is interesting it shouldn't hold a lot of weight when considering real life. And to answer the op I feel he is simply a writer looking to sell books. Which is a perfectly OK thing to do as an author.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#21    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 24 January 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

Someones personal opinion of a genre cannot be wrong. Also he does have the gist of it. Heck I liked some of his books. I can read fantasy/conspiracy and enjoy it for what it is. I tend to dismiss conspiracy in real life though. Are there conspiracies? Sure. Is everything a game changing apocalyptic rewrite everything we know conspiracy? Probably not. There are glaring falsehoods in Dan browns novels. So whilst it is interesting it shouldn't hold a lot of weight when considering real life. And to answer the op I feel he is simply a writer looking to sell books. Which is a perfectly OK thing to do as an author.

80 million copies sold plus second and third reads indicate that TDVC is entertaining to vast numbers of people. Dan Brown is a very clever author and his books are very well researched. This makes some of his 'glaring falsehoods' look more like 'deliberate mistakes' ? e.g TDVC - Chapter 104 - ' The chapel's ( Rosslyn ) coordinates fall precisely on the north-south meridian that runs through Glastonbury...' . Oh no they don't. Glastonbury is way off the Rosslyn meridian. So why include this bit of information at all? a mistake? a mistake that no one spotted and don't forget Dan Brown uses the word 'precisely' . He then goes on to mention the 'Rose Line', King Arthur's Avalon and the Sacred Landscape Geometry of Britain. He was making a point about ancient landscape geometry and using a piece of false information to draw attention to it. Would suggest you do not underestimate Mr Dan Brown ... conspiracy ?  no fact !

#22    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 24 January 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

View PostWearer of Hats, on 24 January 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

Although the comment about 80 million copies is true and Dan Brown does obviously entertain many millions I would agree that some of his writing does make one cringe!

#23    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,344 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

View Postlaver, on 24 January 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

80 million copies sold plus second and third reads indicate that TDVC is entertaining to vast numbers of people.
And more people voted on American Idol then in the elections.
All that it proves that the vast majority of people are idiots.

Dan Brown is a very clever author and his books are very well researched.
I'll give you the later but not the former.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#24    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Hasina, that's really cute vid.

It was a gif not a video

Posted Image

#25    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 25 January 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

And more people voted on American Idol then in the elections.
All that it proves that the vast majority of people are idiots.

I'll give you the later but not the former.

*Thinks* I wonder if the 'American Idol' folk read many books ?

#26    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postpacosarae, on 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

your post is almost as long as one of Dan Brown's novels.Posted ImagePosted Image

Yup, but worth a read if you are interested in maybe Mr Dan Brown's secret agenda?

#27    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

View Postlaver, on 24 January 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

80 million copies sold plus second and third reads indicate that TDVC is entertaining to vast numbers of people. Dan Brown is a very clever author and his books are very well researched. This makes some of his 'glaring falsehoods' look more like 'deliberate mistakes' ? e.g TDVC - Chapter 104 - ' The chapel's ( Rosslyn ) coordinates fall precisely on the north-south meridian that runs through Glastonbury...' . Oh no they don't. Glastonbury is way off the Rosslyn meridian. So why include this bit of information at all? a mistake? a mistake that no one spotted and don't forget Dan Brown uses the word 'precisely' . He then goes on to mention the 'Rose Line', King Arthur's Avalon and the Sacred Landscape Geometry of Britain. He was making a point about ancient landscape geometry and using a piece of false information to draw attention to it. Would suggest you do not underestimate Mr Dan Brown ... conspiracy ?  no fact !
Fun fiction that's all. By your measure Peter pan must be true because it is one of the most popular children's stories in history. Does that mean if I fallow the third star to the right ill find a place where I'll never again age? Fountain of youth anyone?  Here's your map.
I kid a bit with you. I enjoyed Dan browns story but to assume historical accuracy based on false equals fact is going a bit out there.
In plain words ...he wants to be a successful
author.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch, 26 January 2013 - 02:42 AM.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#28    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

I think his books contain a secret message for the readers ...

Spoiler

Edited by Order66, 26 January 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Posted Image

#29    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,344 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

View Postlaver, on 25 January 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

*Thinks* I wonder if the 'American Idol' folk read many books ?
They do if the Sainted Oprah tells them to.

Only I will remain.

#30    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Best selling book on the market based on a conspiracy is the bible so Dan is doing quit well imo.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users