Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija boards are the must-have gift this Xmas

Still Waters

What better time to talk to dead people for fun than the festival to celebrate the birth of Jesus? Ouija boards are flying themselves off shelves and under trees this Christmas, according to trends data released by Google.

The company has recorded a 300 per cent increase in searches for the spirit-bothering devices, fuelled by a terrible movie that was effectively a feature-length ad for a board game, an appearance on The Archers, and the Victorian belief that if the dead could speak, they would use a plank of a wood and the alphabet.

http://www.independe...tors_picks=true

• Like 1

I hope at least one of the recipients attempts to resurrect the spirit of Christmas. I reckon we need it.

• Like 7

That, IMO is truly a shame. Those "game" boards cause more problems that go unnoticed (I'd say 90% of the time) It would be interesting to actually find/see a graph showing the amount of units sold per year.

I posted a story in another thread of a bad time with one of these.

It's worth noting that mine was homemade with help from a friend that dabbled in the occult. I wonder if these that are mass marketed are even made to work like the old ones.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 1

I hope at least one of the recipients attempts to resurrect the spirit of Christmas. I reckon we need it.

And cheers to that, Eldorado, Those are some of the truest words to have ever been written.

Edited by Kasha
  • Like 2

Might make a good present for weaning compulsive Iphone users off their phones.

• Like 2

Oh wonderful! we should see an influx of newbies in the new year on here then with their stories of "I made contact with a long lost uncles, cousins brother I never knew I had"

And old ones ^^^^^^^^^^ a few replies.......

• Like 5

A brief burst of silliness before all that unaccustomed facetime with real people becomes unbearable and it's into the closet, where all Ouija Boards eventually wind up, along side Operation and Etch-a-Sketch, and back to their cellphones.

• Like 2

speaking from my own experiences I honestly would stay well away , there not toys

Speaking from the real world I would also stay well away. They are boring toys.

• Like 3

I played with a "Ouija Board" when I was much younger. Perhaps fortunately for me there was no second person hand-on "player" which apparently is required.

Thus, I experienced nothing.

I guess I don't know what I can say, because I have no actual experience with it given it's rules of use.

In generality though, I feel that it could be psychologically dangerous, if not spiritually.

I don't know...

Edited by pallidin

I played with a "Ouija Board" when I was much younger. Perhaps fortunately for me there was no second person hand-on "player" which apparently is required.

Thus, I experienced nothing.

I guess I don't know what I can say, because I have no actual experience with it given it's rules of use.

In generality though, I feel that it could be psychologically dangerous, if not spiritually.

I don't know...

I agree, I think they are definitely psychologically dangerous. To a person predisposed to fantasy this toy can be like throwing gasoline on a fire. If you believe you have spiritual abilities, this may not be the pass-time for you.

• Like 4

I see a few posts of members speaking of " The REAL " world . I submit that what's real is subjective . Where and how you live creates the reality we each live in . A good subject for the debate section .

• Like 4

Well I think the Ouija board is a good psychological game to get all the family around the table this Xmas. Don't forget to turn the TV off, dim the lights and see how far you can go without freaking out, the last one left is the winner.

• Like 1

Christmas is a good time for Board Games,fortunately their apparent reputation is pure fantasy and should be kept in the Movies where it belongs.

I see a few posts of members speaking of " The REAL " world . I submit that what's real is subjective . Where and how you live creates the reality we each live in . A good subject for the debate section .

So perhaps we could call the Ouija board game a reality game, where the players are participating in making a thought form become a reality .

Edited by Oxo1

I think these are quite fun. My fiancée and I have one, and we have used it several times, having fun 'encounters' with random things such as PC Plum, Peyton the Shower Perv and a random 6 year old girl named E.

So perhaps we could call the Ouija board game a reality game, where the players are participating in making a thought form become a reality .

Such as

The Aswang Phenomenon ?

• Like 1

Reality : ( unless you are born into money )

Work

Pay bills

Work

pay more bills

Work

Pay Bills

Die

Some people in between that, have vacations, and kids, etc. ( and pay more bills )

Others do not like what reality is, and insert things like Ghosts, Psychic ability, and Ouija boards, to try to make their " reality " different.

• Like 4

I wonder why there is no high-tech update for this game. Like how to speed up the ideomotor effect.

Maybe they could cross it with a magic 8-ball, just for something different.

• Like 1

I wonder why there is no high-tech update for this game. Like how to speed up the ideomotor effect.

Maybe they could cross it with a magic 8-ball, just for something different.

ouija-board-happy-meal-box-nets-star-death-threats.png

• Like 4