Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study finds birth control cuts abortion rates

CommunitarianKevin

A study finds birth control cuts abortion rates dramatically...I have been saying this for quite a while...stop fighting against birth control Repubs. Stop getting p***ed when Obama requires it to be covered in Obamacare. Stop closing down Planned Parenthood, which provides free contraception for women. Either fight for against abortion or against contraception, not both...

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/04/14224132-free-birth-control-cuts-abortion-rate-dramatically-study-finds?lite

• Like 2

Well: Duh!

And they needed to spend money to discover that?

• Like 7

Hey, I know...but yet people fight against it...

Maybe a study will finally convince them?

Hey, I know...but yet people fight against it...

Maybe a study will finally convince them?

as soon as hell freezes over. Bible thumpers never worked based on logic.

• Like 2

The problem with Obama's pandering to women by giving them free birth control is that the average co-pay on BC for women in America is $15.00 a month. Just because the government says it's now free it doesn't magically become free. That cost will be made up for by yet another increase in premiums.

So take every women in the USA that get BC through insurance multiply that number by $15.00, and add that to your employers premuims. The republicans are not trying to outlaw birth control they're trying to keep insurances increases lower. How can people not get that?

A study finds birth control cuts abortion rates dramatically...I have been saying this for quite a while...stop fighting against birth control Repubs. Stop getting p***ed when Obama requires it to be covered in Obamacare. Stop closing down Planned Parenthood, which provides free contraception for women. Either fight for against abortion or against contraception, not both...

http://vitals.nbcnew...tudy-finds?lite

kind of like saying eating eliminates hunger.

• Like 1

The problem with Obama's pandering to women by giving them free birth control is that the average co-pay on BC for women in America is $15.00 a month. Just because the government says it's now free it doesn't magically become free. That cost will be made up for by yet another increase in premiums.

So take every women in the USA that get BC through insurance multiply that number by $15.00, and add that to your employers premuims. The republicans are not trying to outlaw birth control they're trying to keep insurances increases lower. How can people not get that?

2 points...

1.) You are putting a price on dead babies?

2.) No, premiums do not need to go up. I constantly hear that...that is like saying a camel took a dump in the sand, gas prices need to go up. No it does not. That is called an excuse, an excuse for them to raise prices. Insurance companies are about profit. It is about giving up a little bit of profit to cover this. Prices do not NEED to go up.

Uh... YA THINK? pffffffffffffffffffffft.....

2 points...

1.) You are putting a price on dead babies?

2.) No, premiums do not need to go up. I constantly hear that...that is like saying a camel took a dump in the sand, gas prices need to go up. No it does not. That is called an excuse, an excuse for them to raise prices. Insurance companies are about profit. It is about giving up a little bit of profit to cover this. Prices do not NEED to go up.

Hutton, you don't know what you're talking about. How am I putting a price on dead babies?

I'm telling you that drug companies charge for thier drugs. Insurance companies are not going to suddenly start paying 100% of all birth control perscriptions and absorb that cost at a loss, they will make up for the extra fee by raising rates. The average copay nationwide for women is $15.00 a month for BC pills. When the insurance companies are suddenly stuck with paying that money they will not simply "eat it". Don't be stoopid. They will make up for that loss by increasing your premiums. I work in the health insurance industry, specifically in employee benefits so likely know more about it than you do.

Hutton, you don't know what you're talking about. How am I putting a price on dead babies?

I'm telling you that drug companies charge for thier drugs. Insurance companies are not going to suddenly start paying 100% of all birth control perscriptions and absorb that cost at a loss, they will make up for the extra fee by raising rates. The average copay nationwide for women is $15.00 a month for BC pills. When the insurance companies are suddenly stuck with paying that money they will not simply "eat it". Don't be stoopid. They will make up for that loss by increasing your premiums. I work in the health insurance industry, specifically in employee benefits so likely know more about it than you do.

But they could. That is my argument. Do do not HAVE to raise prices. They choose to. That is the problem with our system. That is the problem with having private healthcare. IMO healthcare should not be about capitalism, it should be about care...

But they could. That is my argument. Do do not HAVE to raise prices. They choose to. That is the problem with our system. That is the problem with having private healthcare. IMO healthcare should not be about capitalism, it should be about care...

Not being in the industry you are probably unaware that your local blue cross, blue shields are classified as not-for-profit. They are required to keep a reserve to pay out claims. If it worked how you claim it should you could probably kiss those carriers goodbye. Is that reasonable? Can you name an industry in america that would lose profits just so people can have free entitlements per government decree? No you can't because it never happens and it won't start now. Your opinion of what it should be means nothing. It's what it is. Edited by OverSword

Not being in the industry you are probably unaware that your local blue cross, blue shields are classified as not-for-profit. They are required to keep a reserve to pay out claims. If it worked how you claim it should you could probably kiss those carriers goodbye. Is that reasonable? Can you name an industry in america that would lose profits just so people can have free entitlements per government decree? No you can't because it never happens and it won't start now. Your opinion of what it should be means nothing. It's what it is.

It is what it is? Well then why even have politics? Why try to reform healthcare? Why try to reform the tax codes? Why try to fight for gay rights? Why try and do anything? If people just said "it is what it is," we would still have slavery...

It is what it is? Well then why even have politics? Why try to reform healthcare? Why try to reform the tax codes? Why try to fight for gay rights? Why try and do anything? If people just said "it is what it is," we would still have slavery...

Your emotionalism about the subject will change nothing. The president's decree of free this that or the other is not free. It will cost you, or if you get your insurance through your employer it will cost your employer. If insurance becomes expensive enough eventually your employer will just stop offerring it. Then since there is a law you must have it then you will be required to purchase it all on your own. Still like this healthcare reform? Who knows maybe that's the governments plan. By the year 2020 one out of five dollars in our economy is projected to be a healthcare dollar, do you think the government wouldn't want total control over that?

I wonder if (or hopefully when) they produce male birth control, will that be paid for by insurance agencies?

YES!

I wonder if (or hopefully when) they produce male birth control, will that be paid for by insurance agencies?

I would never take that. Probably give you testicular cancer. Condoms work for me and I don't mind paying for them either.

I would never take that. Probably give you testicular cancer. Condoms work for me and I don't mind paying for them either.

Yes, the hypothetical drug gives you cancer.

• Like 4

Your emotionalism about the subject will change nothing. The president's decree of free this that or the other is not free. It will cost you, or if you get your insurance through your employer it will cost your employer. If insurance becomes expensive enough eventually your employer will just stop offerring it. Then since there is a law you must have it then you will be required to purchase it all on your own. Still like this healthcare reform? Who knows maybe that's the governments plan. By the year 2020 one out of five dollars in our economy is projected to be a healthcare dollar, do you think the government wouldn't want total control over that?

Emotionalism, that's a new one, I like it. I never said I liked Obamacare. That is the one thing I have no strong opinion on either way...

But since being in a field gives you a more valid say, my wife works in the field, a 4 year RN working in a hospital. In her free time she researches the healthcare system and specifically the birthing industry. We have watched numberous documentaries on the topic. The ones on the birthing industry are mind blowing. We have the highest infant mortality rate and maternal death rate in developed countries. We also have the highest healthcare costs in the world and the most total money going to healthcare, yet we cover few people and give them poorer treatment than other developed countries.

Taiwan was looking for a new healthcare system so they got a group of Ph.D.s to study all the healthcare systems of the world to find the best. They were asked about the U.S. model and they said that is the perfect example of how NOT to do things.

The fact of the matter is that we have a crappy healthcare system compared to other developed countires and it needs to change to cover more people, be cheaper, and be better in general. We need a massive change and a massive overhaul. People like you can sit around and accept it. I hope for, and hopefully fight for, change.

Yes, the hypothetical drug gives you cancer.

You have to admit that taking a drug that would make you sterile would seem dangerous. It's a little more indepth than a pill that tricks your body into thinking it's alread pregnant. I could just see all of the nightmare side effects from that 20 years down the road.

So hard not to make a joke here...

You have to admit that taking a drug that would make you sterile would seem dangerous. It's a little more indepth than a pill that tricks your body into thinking it's alread pregnant. I could just see all of the nightmare side effects from that 20 years down the road.

One reason there isn't one, it's hard to make. I never said it wouldn't have it's problems, but thinking female birth control is totes safe is silly, it's not. One reason I prefer abstinence over birth control and birth control over abortions. Don't want to get pregnant? Don't want to get someone pregnant? Don't bloody do it.

One reason there isn't one, it's hard to make. I never said it wouldn't have it's problems, but thinking female birth control is totes safe is silly, it's not. One reason I prefer abstinence over birth control and birth control over abortions. Don't want to get pregnant? Don't want to get someone pregnant? Don't bloody do it.

And what is life all about then? Eat chocolate until you liken a whale?

• Like 1

So life is all about doing the do now? Sure, when you want babies, but why does it have to be a recreational sport to most people?

• Like 2

So life is all about doing the do now? Sure, when you want babies, but why does it have to be a recreational sport to most people?

Who said something about recreational sport, for me it would be totally irresponsible at my age to father any children, just as an example. But sex still is important in my relationship.