Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

The truth about lycans

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

• The Golden age is just a step away

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Some say there is a difference between Lycans and Werewolves

Edited by Spore, 02 January 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#17    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 02 January 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

I agree. But how do we know what is fiction and what isn't?
Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.
For example, no one has seen the deepest parts of the ocean, but we know its there.
We can't see the air we breathe, but we know its there.
Not to mention, there are hundreds of new species of animals found everyday. Diseases we don't understand yet, biology we can't yet explain. Just because we know alot does not mean we know it all.

We can map the bottom/deepest parts (most) of the ocean.  We also know, due to science, that there IS a bottom of the ocean.
We CAN see air.  Just not with the naked eye.
No, we don't know it "all" but we do know what the science of biology shows us and that is the FACT that an human being cannot "morph" or change into another species.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#18    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

POPULAR

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 02 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Again, those are just THEORIES. How do we know how much heat it generates? Have we tested this?
Or did we come to this conclusion through theories of other scientists and or medical experts?
If so, can years of training to become a medical expert really conclude he is an expert on the subject?
As for breaking and reforming bones... We never had it happen to us, so what makes you so sure it will work out in that order?
We've never seen the process as it happens, so we don't know.

Yes, we can prove oxygen exists. But we have to look hard, using advanced technology, am I right?
Before we had the technology to see this, did we know that this was how the world worked? Did we know that such elements exist?

See where I'm getting at here?

I'm not proving or disproving. We are simply sharing theories, and beliefs.
All I am saying is, you can't prove something we know nothing about.
Here's the thing.  That is the business of science - establishing known, workable facts that anyone can access and test to be true.  Its how the scientific process works.  Is science perfect?  No.  Has it explained everything?  Not yet.  But here is what science has done.  Science has laid the groundwork, the foundation, the structure for nearly every single part of your modern existence.  

The computer or phone that you submitted your rebuttal with - Science made it possible.  The food you eat - Science made sure it got to the store safely and without spoilage.  The electricity that powers every aspect of your internet researchings into werewolves and other paranormal/cryptozoological topics?  Science.  Want to know why?  Because scientists got out there and learned about stuff.  They didn't read about stuff on a confirmation-bias fueled website authored by fringees who think they understand science.  They used the tried and tested scientific process to formulate a hypotheses, design an experiment, run the experiment, gather data, and present it to their peers for replication and further testing.  

We know that werewolves are fake because the concept of shapeshifting flies in the face of everything we have ever learned about biology - by scientists.  Guess why we don't have any data on werewolves?  Because they are imaginary.  There aren't any of them that have been, can be, or ever will be studied by science.  

You are not sharing theories by the way.  To come up with a theory you need to use the scientific process.  You are talking only about beliefs, which coincidentally are not supported by evidence in the real world.  That doesn't mean you can't believe what you believe.  We can all believe whatever we want.  Beliefs are like a$$-holes - everybody has them.  However don't go mixing up beliefs and facts.  Science deals in facts, seeks to establish what is fact that way we can all relate to the real world on an even playing field.  That is, if you take the time to learn about FACTS - which nobody who believes in werewolves has done - otherwise you wouldn't believe in them.  See how it works?  Find facts and they will shape your beliefs.  

I don't want this post to come off as harsh.  We ALL should explore the world around us in whatever way that we can to learn more - which you are doing - kudos on that.  Sometimes that exploration happens via the internet - however it is VITAL to develop the ability to think critically and separate facts from opinions and beliefs.  There ARE true facts.  Those facts science has labored to discover and as a result they work, and our modern world is built on them and with them.  

Thanks for reading.

*edited to remove snarkish language*

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 02 January 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#19    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 02 January 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Here's the thing.  That is the business of science - establishing known, workable facts that anyone can access and test to be true.  Its how the scientific process works.  Is science perfect?  No.  Has it explained everything?  Not yet.  But here is what science has done.  Science has laid the groundwork, the foundation, the structure for nearly every single part of your modern existence.  

The computer or phone that you submitted your rebuttal with - Science made it possible.  The food you eat - Science made sure it got to the store safely and without spoilage.  The electricity that powers every aspect of your internet researchings into werewolves and other paranormal/cryptozoological topics?  Science.  Want to know why?  Because scientists got out there and learned about stuff.  They didn't read about stuff on a confirmation-bias fueled website authored by fringees who think they understand science.  They used the tried and tested scientific process to formulate a hypotheses, design an experiment, run the experiment, gather data, and present it to their peers for replication and further testing.  

We know that werewolves are fake because the concept of shapeshifting flies in the face of everything we have ever learned about biology - by scientists.  Guess why we don't have any data on werewolves?  Because they are imaginary.  There aren't any of them that have been, can be, or ever will be studied by science.  

You are not sharing theories by the way.  To come up with a theory you need to use the scientific process.  You are talking only about beliefs, which coincidentally are not supported by evidence in the real world.  That doesn't mean you can't believe what you believe.  We can all believe whatever we want.  Beliefs are like a$$-holes - everybody has them.  However don't go mixing up beliefs and facts.  Science deals in facts, seeks to establish what is fact that way we can all relate to the real world on an even playing field.  That is, if you take the time to learn about FACTS - which nobody who believes in werewolves has done - otherwise you wouldn't believe in them.  See how it works?  Find facts and they will shape your beliefs.  

I don't want this post to come off as harsh.  We ALL should explore the world around us in whatever way that we can to learn more - which you are doing - kudos on that.  Sometimes that exploration happens via the internet - however it is VITAL to develop the ability to think critically and separate facts from opinions and beliefs.  There ARE true facts.  Those facts science has labored to discover and as a result they work, and our modern world is built on them and with them.  

Thanks for reading.

Very nice post

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#20    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,666 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostSpore, on 02 January 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Some say there is a difference between Lycans and Werewolves
That is true. It clearly outlines the differences in the Underworld movies and other media (books, online, etc..). The lycans are those who can change at will and are not linked to the Moon. The werewolves are 1st and 2nd generation and are linked to the Moon for their transformation, and I believe they cannot change back, except under the Moon, so if they are in man-wolf form and the moon goes down, they are trapped in that form. Also the werewolves were supposed to be stronger, tougher and more savage. Both lycans and werewolves are supposed to be immortal, but it seems due to violence that few live long enough to test that theory.

In historically literature, since the word "lycan" did not exist, then I'd have to say there is no difference. Werewolves and lycanthrope were historically interchangable.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#21    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostHerNibs, on 02 January 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

We can map the bottom/deepest parts (most) of the ocean.  We also know, due to science, that there IS a bottom of the ocean.
We CAN see air.  Just not with the naked eye.
No, we don't know it "all" but we do know what the science of biology shows us and that is the FACT that an human being cannot "morph" or change into another species.

Nibs

Look at my response to Wearer of Hats...

Leave the door to your mind open, and the world will walk in.

#22    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for reading.

I respect your post. I agree and I understand where you're coming from. It wasn't harsh. You feel strongly about the subject.
But just understand, that there are a majority who won't think the same.

#23    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,737 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

oh...I thought we were talkin' about beans....my bad.
Edit: Oh, my bad yet again...that would be legumes...not lichens.  Sooorrry.

Edited by joc, 03 January 2013 - 02:01 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#24    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

*deleted because in retrospect my post was off-topic and inflammatory*  my bad.

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 03 January 2013 - 02:57 AM.

#25    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,987 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 03 January 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Would this majority happen to be a silent majority?  Cuz...I don't see any posts by any of them disagreeing with me.   Maybe I misunderstood.  A majority of whom?  Humans?  Americans?  People on this website?

And what is it that they disagree with?  That science has enriched our lives because of its truth and process?  Or that werewolves are make-believe?

I already kind of did disagree because shapeshifting doesnt have to only mean physically shifting. Shapeshifting can also come under changing your shape in astral/dreamtime. So shapeshifting may fly in the face of science/biology but its a fact that you can actually shapeshift. You just have to shift in a place where it allows you too. Which is why I've always thought of the stories of shapeshifting/werewolves as being misunderstood.  So anotherwords the werewolf may very well be real but not in the way that people have learned from hollywood.

#26    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 03 January 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

I respect your post. I agree and I understand where you're coming from. It wasn't harsh. You feel strongly about the subject.
But just understand, that there are a majority who won't think the same.
I would hope it's a minority. But a lot of people believe a lot of illogical stuff.  Unfortunate really...

Posted Image

#27    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostKazahel, on 03 January 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

I already kind of did disagree because shapeshifting doesnt have to only mean physically shifting. Shapeshifting can also come under changing your shape in astral/dreamtime. So shapeshifting may fly in the face of science/biology but its a fact that you can actually shapeshift. You just have to shift in a place where it allows you too. Which is why I've always thought of the stories of shapeshifting/werewolves as being misunderstood.  So anotherwords the werewolf may very well be real but not in the way that people have learned from hollywood.
Hmmmm the problem is that astral shapeshifting is just as crazy and illogical as werewolf shapeshifting...

Posted Image

#28    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

View PostKazahel, on 03 January 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.  If that is true then if I dream that I'm walking through lollipop land and my body is made of marshmallows then it is real.  Dreams are dreams, reality is reality.  If you want to be a werewolf in dreamland  - whatever.  We are talking about flesh and blood werewolves and how they are make-believe.  Go be Sergeant Pepper and lead the Lonely Hearts Club Band in dreamtime for all I care...your dreams are dreams.  They happen in your brain and are a totally different discussion than we are having here.

#29    spikeman25

spikeman25

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

I've been reading up on this and there are several different versions of werewolves or versions of lycanthropy throughout history . The astral werewolf thing sounds stupid to me  , But from what I've read the most common methods ranged from doing certain rituals or  rubbing on a salve  Or a wolf girdle etc... Or involving a curse . As far as them actually existing  eh who knows ..  In my opinion if there weren't something to this the stories and legends would have died out centuries ago .  But this is one of those things that can never be proven either way , If anyone came out and claimed to be a werewolf , Not that they would - They would be locked up in the nuthouse. Who knows .

#30    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 03 January 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

I would hope it's a minority. But a lot of people believe a lot of illogical stuff.  Unfortunate really...

I meant minority. I typed in the wrong word.
I know alot of people believe in illogical stuff, and alot of people don't.
Then again, look at religion. xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users