Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Discovery fit and health

coldethyl

Glenn Close has started a foundation called Bring Change 2 Mind and some stories are featured in between the shows on Discovery Fit and Health this week airing every night at 8pm eastern standard time in America.

Please visit this link and watch the short video http://www.bringchan...thank-you-video

visit the website http://bringchange2mind.org/ and have a look around if you'd like to understand people with mental illnesses better or if you or a family member have a mental illness.

I have bipolar type 1, ocd, and anxiety disorder and I'm not afraid to say that or talk about it with anyone. My father and uncle were schizophrenic so mental illness runs in my family. Anyone who wants to talk can pm me but I just would please appreciate anyone looking at the video on the first link and watching at least 1 day of Mental Illness Week on Discovery Fit and Health if possible. There are lots of videos on you tube as well:

Thanks!

edited to add you tube link

Edited by coldethyl
  • Like 3

Working to end the stigma and discrimination of mental illness.

==================================

I will be honest here, unfortunately I do not think you will ever end the stigma and discrimination.

Society today do not have time to listen,

Society do not want to listen,

Society have their problems and do not want to listen to others,

society are afraid of mental illness

This is unfortunately the society we live in BUT

it does not mean that people with mental illness should be forgotten. Just to be able to talk about it to someone is the biggest step, so this foundation is perfect.

New mental illnesses are developing, many due to living within the pressures of an over populated, fast pace and ever demanding society and those who are coping will not give the time of day to those who are not.

There are many different reasons for mental illness and generally society are not in a position to be able to deal with them. You mention the word schizophrenia many will instantly think things from a bit crazy to a knife welding mass murderer, shout loud enough and you may be able to educate people, but you will not educate all.

Mention depression and many will want to run a mile, their lives are "too complicated" to listen.

More people are suffering from mental illness because of the way life is and what is expected from us, this road will be a long one and may never end, but I applaud this foundation, its a place for those with mental illness to talk.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Not to throw off the subject but the mentally impaired or any handicap (deafness, etc) are still stigmatized and struggle to live like and be treated like everyone else and with dignity too. Not like they're people to be avoided, talked down to or whose inclusion just isn't important.

• Like 2

Not to throw off the subject but the mentally impaired or any handicap (deafness, etc) are still stigmatized and struggle to live like and be treated like everyone else and with dignity too. Not like they're people to be avoided, talked down to or whose inclusion just isn't important.

Quite strange really, that those who are not mentally impaired or who do not have a mental illness seem not to know what to think when they meet someone who does.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking a look. I don't think the stigma will ever completely go away either but anyone I can get to look at this and maybe widen their perspective a bit, is one person that I've made aware. I think it's worth taking a look at, even if it doesn't change a person's mind. We're just regular people you talk to everyday and you may never even know we have a mental illness.

The story of Jani and Bodhi was really interesting. They were born schizophrenic. It's very unusual but not unheard of. Their story is fascinating and rather humbling.

Quite strange really, that those who are not mentally impaired or who do not have a mental illness seem not to know what to think when they meet someone who does.

This is just my own personal opinion:

I can understand there being some awkwardness, but that is why we need to put this all out in the light of day, and not treat mental health issues and physical differences like they are "shameful" or less than human or a sin or something to fear or simply a lack of discipline or faith.

I hate blaming certain institutions or groups because I think there are usually ALWAYS exceptions and sometimes a significant number of exceptions. And an ignorant intolerant schmuck will be an ignorant intolerant schmuck no matter what "label" he/she wears.

But I do put at least some of the stigmatization of mental health issues being simply a matter of rebellion and cured by coming to god or prayer on Christianity. That any mental illness is some kind of simple common cold. And those who treat the mentally ill are all quacks.

In just the (American) generation above me, there is prolific prejudice against psychiatry. And maybe why so many, (men in particular) were/are drunks,= self-medication.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

This is just my own personal opinion:

I can understand there being some awkwardness, but that is why we need to put this all out in the light of day, and not treat mental health issues and physical differences like they are "shameful" or less than human or a sin or something to fear or simply a lack of discipline or faith.

I hate blaming certain institutions or groups because I think there are usually ALWAYS exceptions and sometimes a significant number of exceptions. And an ignorant intolerant schmuck will be an ignorant intolerant schmuck no matter what "label" he/she wears.

But I do put at least some of the stigmatization of mental health issues being simply a matter of rebellion and cured by coming to god or prayer on Christianity. That any mental illness is some kind of simple common cold. And those who treat the mentally ill are all quacks.

In just the (American) generation above me, there is prolific prejudice against psychiatry. And maybe why so many, (men in particular) were/are drunks,= self-medication.

Wow, me? Coming to god, praying and christianity, Now now QC tut tut, you know I aint going to that route, but this needs to be followed through and as I said, its going to be a long road, one which may never end, but as long as people know they are not alone and there people out there who will listen and do care, then its going to be a lot easier.

If you feel religion will help, then thats fine by me, each to his own, we are still on the same road although a different bus.

Peace.

• Like 1

Wow, me? Coming to god, praying and christianity, Now now QC tut tut, you know I aint going to that route, but this needs to be followed through and as I said, its going to be a long road, one which may never end, but as long as people know they are not alone and there people out there who will listen and do care, then its going to be a lot easier.

If you feel religion will help, then thats fine by me, each to his own, we are still on the same road although a different bus.

Peace.

I wasn't advocating that route either. I was blaming that route as being a part of the misinformation and stigmatization that surrounds mental health issues. That Christianity has a history of claiming all things are curable if you just turn to god or prayer and psychiatry is a modern-day evil.

That is why many (men) of past generations self-medicate with alcohol, as seeking help is wrong, frowned upon, shows weakness.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Interesting topic, Coldethyl. I once knew someone with schizophrenia, and I began reading about it to understand it better. I came across some studies that claim that long-term fasting can cure schizophrenia and some other mental disorders.

A paragragh from one of them:

"The treatment has been found to be effective in

more than 70 percent of cases of schizophrenia of

many years' duration. Forty-seven percent of

patients followed for a period of six years

maintained their improvement. Those patients who

resume eating a full diet and break the diet

prescribed, relapse. The maximum effects of the

treatment are seen two or three months after the

recovery period is started and the diet followed

closely."

That's from this PDF by orthomolecular.org:

http://orthomolecula...v03n04-p301.pdf

The Russians have done similar studies, with similar results.

I'm a bit skeptical about it myself, but if it actually works, then great.

What's your take is on this?

Sorry about the small font size.

Edited by simplybill

There is no cure atm for schizophrenia. Fasting I do not believe would work. That's a big misconception about mental illnesses is that they can be cured. They cannot, they can only be managed.

• Like 1