Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Army mother arrested for not going to war

Ryinrea

SAVANNAH, Ga. — The Army said Wednesday it has filed criminal charges against a single-mom soldier who refused to deploy to Afghanistan last year, arguing she had no family able to care for her infant son.

arrow3.gifRead more...

My link

So women can be arrested for not having a back up plan?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eqgumby

• acidhead

• HerNibs

• Kimi81

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YUP!

That is the Army.

She should have worked for Walmart.

:rolleyes:

My link

So women can be arrested for not having a back up plan?

No, not "women". Soldiers. It's clearly stated in the rules and regulations. Period. I had one, all my friends had one. As a matter of fact, all of us usually WERE each others back-up plans. We ALL would not hesitate to take care of someones child(ren) in the event of an emergency deployment. In most military families, one of the parents is NOT military and is not at risk of deployment. That person (usually the wife but not always) is part of a huge family of other military spouses. They stick together. They WILL often watch each others children.

I have a friend whose grand-children (2) are living with his kids military neighbors for 6 months while both parents are deployed. This way, they are in the same neighborhood, going to the same school, and surrounded by friends and adults who all have Moms or Dads that are deployed and live the same military lifestyle, have access to the same health care, all of the important things to your average kid.

The military even provides FREE legal assistance to make this all legal and easy as pie for the care-takers as well as the deployed parents.

This is a NON issue, and no matter how hard you try, it will remain so. She should have deployed. It was planned. She knew it. She had all the resources in place. She CHOSE not to use them. She violated the rules, and broke her oath.

What a waste of tax payers money. Now she goes to jail, and the kid ends up in foster care. What the hell has happened to common sence?

What a waste of tax payers money. Now she goes to jail, and the kid ends up in foster care. What the hell has happened to common sence?

Not to mention the money wasted on her training, free medical, dental, housing, and a paycheck.

And what happened to HER common sense?

Not to mention the money wasted on her training, free medical, dental, housing, and a paycheck.

She certainly didnt properly prepare for the path she had taken. But it is what it is. Why now make it worse? Why rip a child from his mothers arms to make a example? The kid will be punnished by far the worst. Even though he did nothing but be born.

Dishonorable discharge, and call it a day.

Edited by preacherman76

No, not "women". Soldiers. It's clearly stated in the rules and regulations. Period. I had one, all my friends had one. As a matter of fact, all of us usually WERE each others back-up plans. We ALL would not hesitate to take care of someones child(ren) in the event of an emergency deployment. In most military families, one of the parents is NOT military and is not at risk of deployment. That person (usually the wife but not always) is part of a huge family of other military spouses. They stick together. They WILL often watch each others children.

I have a friend whose grand-children (2) are living with his kids military neighbors for 6 months while both parents are deployed. This way, they are in the same neighborhood, going to the same school, and surrounded by friends and adults who all have Moms or Dads that are deployed and live the same military lifestyle, have access to the same health care, all of the important things to your average kid.

The military even provides FREE legal assistance to make this all legal and easy as pie for the care-takers as well as the deployed parents.

This is a NON issue, and no matter how hard you try, it will remain so. She should have deployed. It was planned. She knew it. She had all the resources in place. She CHOSE not to use them. She violated the rules, and broke her oath.

Sounds like the person who should be getting the blame is the soldier's mother.

Agreed agreed agreed.

Nibs

cant court marshel the mom for the daughter failing to deploy.

this lady is no different than any other soldier who fails to deploy they all get court marshelled. however in this case she should be kicked out so she can raise her kid. dis-honorably.

If the military didn't pay hardly anybody would join - including every military person here.

People join because of economics and economics only.

cant court marshel the mom for the daughter failing to deploy.

this lady is no different than any other soldier who fails to deploy they all get court marshelled. however in this case she should be kicked out so she can raise her kid. dis-honorably.

Well said.

Her mother made a personal agreement, and broke no rules or regulations, unless she signed a contract. Like the contract the Soldier did for the Army. The responsibility lies fully on the back of the military member.

I will add, that realistically, IF there were amazingly extenuating circumstances...say the Mom had a stroke and the back-up military family suffered a tragic loss or divorced at the last moment (something beyond the military members control) all in a matter of weeks, right before a deployment...the Army would be MUCH more lenient. In cases like that, USUALLY the military member is taken care of and allowed extra time to make arrangements. The military in general DOES recognize that their soldiers are human, and that they have family and lives out of uniform. They have entire programs and millions of dollars in budgets at every base to SUPPORT those families and lives out of uniform.

If the military didn't pay hardly anybody would join - including every military person here.

People join because of economics and economics only.

Wrong.

Usually true, but NOT always.

Why do they stay? Any idea? Ask me, if you don't already know the answer.

Wrong.

Usually true, but NOT always.

Why do they stay? Any idea? Ask me, if you don't already know the answer.

economics

Well, my son joined because 911 got to him and he's always had a giving, caring nature.

He joined the SeaBees because of the aid they supply and because they fight with the marines.

Economically? He would be better off out of the military. He could work within the family businesses. He would make more money.

So I guess it isn't economics in every situation.

Nibs

economics

You think they STAY after their four years for economic reason?

Wrong. MOST military people can make MORE money getting OUT. This is personal experience, as well as many close friends I served with for 20 years.

You think they STAY after their four years for economic reason?

Wrong. MOST military people can make MORE money getting OUT. This is personal experience, as well as many close friends I served with for 20 years.

Do you or your friends who served for over 20 years get paid?... yes.

If the military STOPPED paying its employees - would the military go bust?... yes.

Do the military EVER lay people off?... no.

Is the military ALWAYS hiring new employees?... yes.

Does this mean that a military career guarantees job security?... yes.

Is economics the main reason people join and stay in the military?... YES.

Most people define themselves by the job or career they perform - the military is NO exception.

Edited by acidhead

i completely agree with this.

i mean this is the sort of thing that held women back for many years in the armed forces.

i completely agree with this.

i mean this is the sort of thing that held women back for many years in the armed forces.

I would in principle, but not at the expence of a child.

dishonorable discharge, and call it a day.

Well, my son joined because 911 got to him and he's always had a giving, caring nature.

He joined the SeaBees because of the aid they supply and because they fight with the marines.

Economically? He would be better off out of the military. He could work within the family businesses. He would make more money.

So I guess it isn't economics in every situation.

Nibs

'got to him, eh?'

Sounds more like your young son decided PAYBACK was the solution for emotionally upsetting him.

I'd bet he spends his spare time playing 'kill em' video games like most kids his age do to 'kill time'.

He would quit tomorrow if the cheque stopped coming in, med/den. plans were stopped, future school expenses coverage with held and an end to retirement pension terminated.

WW2 ended in 1945.

There's no other reason for americans, canadians to join the military other for the career opportunity.

No other reason.

Do you or your friends who served for over 20 years get paid?... yes.

Substantially less than their civilian counterparts. MUCH less.If the military STOPPED paying its employees - would the military go bust?... yes.

No one does anything for free. THAT is an absurd statement.

Do the military EVER lay people off?... no.

YES They do, a LOT. Look it up.

Is the military ALWAYS hiring new employees?... yes.

Yes, they do. With more restrictions than ever, and largely because they have a 20 year max (usually) career span. Do you know what the waiting list is like to become an officer in the Air Force, and the qualifications, letters of references required? It's COMPETATIVE, people wait YEARS to get a shot at even going to training to become an officer.

Does this mean that a military career guarantees job security?... yes.

No, it does not, unless you think security means you can be released from service for a minor injury, and moving every 2 or 3 year years, and being away from home for months at a time is secure.

Is economics the main reason people join and stay in the military?... YES.

No, it most certainly is not.

Most people define themselves by the job or career they perform - the military is NO exception.

Unless you have something to back this up, my experience trumps your assumptions. Economics for the first termers, yes, very often. For beyond that, no, very rarely is it economics. Most member "make do" or "settle' for the economics beyond the four year mark.

Edited by eqgumby

I call bull on EGGS last post.

To add to the conversation...

The woman joined the military voluntarily.

She was paid and received benefits by joining the military business.

When she failed to deploy she knew the result because she signed off when she accepted the terms and conditions.

Does she deserve jail time?... Jail is for criminals...

Is she a criminal?... depends .... did her decision affect any body elses life directly?

She joined for an economic reason.

Therefore economics could/should be used against her.

A fine would be suffice.

'got to him, eh?'

Sounds more like your young son decided PAYBACK was the solution for emotionally upsetting him.

I'd bet he spends his spare time playing 'kill em' video games like most kids his age do to 'kill time'.

He would quit tomorrow if the cheque stopped coming in, med/den. plans were stopped, future school expenses coverage with held and an end to retirement pension terminated.

WW2 ended in 1945.

There's no other reason for americans, canadians to join the military other for the career opportunity.

No other reason.

Ummm...nice assumptions...pretty much all wrong. Really bad generalizations. :tu:

No, payback wasn't an issue for him. He's in a CONSTRUCTION BRIGADE. They build stuff.

My son has always volunteered for things, soup kitchens, walkathons, food drives, etc. He has also been quite patriotic all his life (our family has had members in the military from the beginning).

Yup, he plays all kinds of games. Some RPG, some shoot'em up and even Mario.

So, you are quite wrong on the "payback" issue. 911 upset him but not in the ways you are assuming.

Now, financially? Like I said, he's better off OUT of the military. In all the ways you mentioned. All forms of insurance are handled, better treatment than what the military is giving him. Retirement? Yeah, he doesn't have to worry too much about that.

His friends ask him all the time...WTF are you doing in the military?!?!?

So, you are wrong.

:)

Nibs

Ummm...nice assumptions...pretty much all wrong. Really bad generalizations. :tu:

No, payback wasn't an issue for him. He's in a CONSTRUCTION BRIGADE. They build stuff.

My son has always volunteered for things, soup kitchens, walkathons, food drives, etc. He has also been quite patriotic all his life (our family has had members in the military from the beginning).

Yup, he plays all kinds of games. Some RPG, some shoot'em up and even Mario.

So, you are quite wrong on the "payback" issue. 911 upset him but not in the ways you are assuming.

Now, financially? Like I said, he's better off OUT of the military. In all the ways you mentioned. All forms of insurance are handled, better treatment than what the military is giving him. Retirement? Yeah, he doesn't have to worry too much about that.

His friends ask him all the time...WTF are you doing in the military?!?!?

So, you are wrong.

:)

Nibs

How is the family construction business doing?... thought so.

Is he trained to use the weapon he plays with while 'killin time'?... thought so.

Is the military offering anything to further his career in the future?... thought so again.

Does this represent job security?... YES.

Economics.