Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

What is modern music lacking

music

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#46    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 09 October 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

When has music ever been like you said Spirit?

Music is eternal. Older than the beginning of our universe.

There is a huge difference between the past and the present. Singing a song around a campfire with your family is completely different then listening to the radio, singing in the shower, in front of an audience in a play. There is more then one context in which music fits. What about background music in movies, tv shows or even video games? Each song in each situation has different criteria required to do its job.

Good points. Lets say, that when we are founding ourselves in circumstances that allow us perceive and consequently experience music the way it was supposed to be experienced by us, only then we experience it corrrectly and truly.

Time changes things but the patterns will always stay the same.

!!! EXCELLENT !!! This is universal rule valid not only for music.

The great works will shine through the ages of time and the not so great will give way in a short time which gives a false sense of what was really going on at that time.

I hope you won't mind when i will make it even more precise: The officially great works and the officially not so great.

#47    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 09 October 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I find most modern music un-inspiring..

Perhaps that is what is missing, inspiration, uniqueness.

It's remake after remake these days..

Good point.

#48    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 09 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Please define what "the safety of our souls" means to you and why you feel music should cover "suffering". I have never in my entire life heard anyone request a song about people suffering......unless you want to include some metal music which is done more for a reaction from the listener.....

Above all, the safety of our soul means 1. Not to be stolen 2. Not to live (or develop itself) in unsuitable conditions like living amidst a lie and under some wrong worldview, experiencing of too much suffering, too much evil or too much good.

Every human soul - while living in man's body - should experience some feelings of sympathy and compassion. And music can help it. Because music addresses our inside, it would be wrong if it was addressing it only by ways that won't cause us to have feelings of the sympathy and compassion.

#49    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,756 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

I like that old time rock and roll, cos modern music ain't got the same soul

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#50    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostCorpse Dicer, on 09 October 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

You're complaining because popular music doesn't focus upon your personal delusions?

No. It partly does, but not completely. I am complaining out of the reason that I have said several times already in this topic.

There's not a single human emotion you can name that isn't reflected in music. There's nothing left out, you're just choosing to ignore anything you don't want to hear.

Its not that simple. Perhaps these human emotions are somehow reflected in compositions (music without words), but when they are reflected in melodies of songs, these songs usually have unsuitable words that prevent you from the correct experience of the proper melody.

And by declaring certain lyrics 'unsuitable' all you're doing is making a fool of yourself.

No. If I was only declaring them "unsuitable" without saying a reason for it, it would be foolish. But I have said my reasons.

Why not voice your complete opinion (as you did in your previous post that was removed)?

The post was removed and I am now forbidden to talk about "H****** *****e".

You actually believe most humans are 'hellish' and you're anxious for their extermination. You genuinely believe 'hellish people' want to eat your soul. Apparently these delusions cloud your judgement in every aspect of your life, even preventing you from enjoying something as pure and human as music. That's pathetic.

I "only" wanted to exterminate & annihilate their Hellish souls but I cannot speak about it any more.

What prevents me from a full enjoying of something as pure and human as music are the consequences of the actions of my enemies. Not my nature.

#51    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,756 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

interesting, there's a theory that both dolphins and whales actually sing for enjoyment no jut communication whereas birds (on the whole) do it for sex and territoriality.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#52    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 09 October 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Above all, the safety of our soul means 1. Not to be stolen 2. Not to live (or develop itself) in unsuitable conditions like living amidst a lie and under some wrong worldview, experiencing of too much suffering, too much evil or too much good.

This is all very subjective, especially the "wrong worldview" part.

I have to laugh at the disclaimer on your link:

"The text placed on this educational web site only represents the private opinion, fantastic imaginations and subjective feelings of an individual. The author disclaims any responsibility for the damage caused to anyone by the use of and/or manipulation with this text and he does not warrant the correctness, trueness, completeness, safety or usefulness of any information stated in it."

Every human soul - while living in man's body - should experience some feelings of sympathy and compassion. And music can help it. Because music addresses our inside, it would be wrong if it was addressing it only by ways that won't cause us to have feelings of the sympathy and compassion.

I do not believe humans possess a "soul"........and yet I still have feelings of sympathy and compassion.

"Wrong" is highly subjective!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#53    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

What is modern music lacking?   Talent?

Being a "Gen X'er"...I came up with great talent.  I just don't hear the originality anymore.  Seems most of the "new" is just a "re-do" of the old.

But in all seriousness, I am not busting on any generation of music.  When I was young, I liked "this" and thought "that" sucked and as I got older, then "that" didn't sound so bad.  I pretty much love all music.  There are a few genres I don't care for but I respect them nonetheless.

As far as music touching you...it depends on your mood...try classical...it always stirs something in me personally.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#54    Cora Calliope

Cora Calliope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Is a DaVinci painting art? Is a Picasso painting art? I'd never call Picasso's work 'art' but many do.

In which definition of "art" does Picasso's work not fit?

#55    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostCora Calliope, on 10 October 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

In which definition of "art" does Picasso's work not fit?
It was an example. Many people say 'music nowadays isn't music', DaVinci's work was realistic, while Picasso's isn't, it's pleasing to look at. Just because Picasso's work isn't as realistic as Picasso's does it make it less worthy of being called art? Modern music may not sound good to many people, that still doesn't make it not music, or bad, it's just different.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#56    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,899 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 October 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

modern pop music is soulless ;)
What they call "R&B" is more often then not sound and fury signifying nothing.
Note to the Biebers of the world - a song is not repeating the same word over and over in the same tone of voice.

Again, on behalf of the nation of Canada, we sincerely apologize for Justin Bieber... and Celine Dion... and Nickelback.

We're also sorry that we're also so apologetic.

I'm sorry, disregard that last statement.

Edited by Likely Guy, 10 October 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#57    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,899 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

In answer to the OP, for a musician to be massively popular they must have 'mass appeal' which usually means they have to appeal to the lowest common (mass) denominator.

Stop listening to top 40 radio and go to your nearest 'folkfest', or search online. You'll find thousands of worthy artists that will appeal to your personal taste.

#58    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 October 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

interesting, there's a theory that both dolphins and whales actually sing for enjoyment no jut communication whereas birds (on the whole) do it for sex and territoriality.

Interesting theory.

#59    Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 09 October 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

I "only" wanted to exterminate & annihilate their Hellish souls but I cannot speak about it any more.

Check it out, people. THIS is why Pavel posted this topic to begin with. He thinks music should focus more on the fact that 'hellish people' want to swallow the souls of good people like him. And he considers the majority of humans to be 'hellish'. This is actually what he believes, no joke. So whatever your thoughts about music, keep in mind that the person asking is paranoid, delusional and in serious need of psychiatric attention.

#60    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostEuphorbia, on 09 October 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

This is all very subjective, especially the "wrong worldview" part.

I have to laugh at the disclaimer on your link:

"The text placed on this educational web site only represents the private opinion, fantastic imaginations and subjective feelings of an individual. The author disclaims any responsibility for the damage caused to anyone by the use of and/or manipulation with this text and he does not warrant the correctness, trueness, completeness, safety or usefulness of any information stated in it."

:D

It is my own work, actually no real lawyer would be capable of such a precise work!

And now with a little bit of humor: Once when it was for the first time really important, I have made, also for the first time, an error in my disclaimer. I did not correctly stated that I am not responsible for what I have written.

Also tagged with music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users