Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain's greatest Games glory promise 2012

Guest Lottie

Guest Lottie

Boris Johnson will accept the Olympic flag today, while David Beckham and Led Zep's Jimmy Page will join our athletes in the Bird's Nest. Now the four-year countdown to London begins - and the chance to build on this year's spectacular success...

London takes possession of the Olympic flag today, hoping that a newfound belief in British sport and an old-style rock legend can help it to live up to the awe-inspiring spectacle of the Beijing Games.

Members of the nation's most successful team in a hundred years will join Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page for the closing handover ceremony in the Bird's Nest Stadium tonight, where London will try to make up in warmth and humour what it cannot match in scale and ambition.

Thanks to the performances in the velodrome, in the pool, the sea and on the track, the mood is already one of celebration. It went all the way to the top yesterday when the Queen offered her congratulations to the British team. 'Like so many people around the world, I have followed their endeavours with great interest and admiration,' she said. 'To all the participants, and to everyone who has supported them so well, I send my warmest congratulations. As a nation we now look forward to holding the Olympic Games in London in 2012. The golden triumphs of the present British team can only serve as further inspiration to those who will be working hard over the next four years to make the London Games a shining example of Olympic success.'

Continued here.

where London will try to make up in warmth and humour what it cannot match in scale and ambition.

*silence*

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itsnotoutthere

• stevewinn

• Tiggs

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

Futher down the page :-

''Jimmy Page has been recruited to rock London's eight-minute segment of the closing ceremony with Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love'. He will drive around the track with David Beckham, Leona Lewis and the National Youth Orchestra in red double decker bus No 2012.

Cynics are already preparing their cringes.'' :blush:

yep our country has done great much better than we expected, they've done us proud. The whole London 2012 we're not going to out do China or anyone else, but we should do what we do best pomp and ceremony, that'll knock the American tourist bandy, always does :sk

am not into the whole global warming ding dong, but if we can make the London games the most "Green" we wont need to out do China, because we'd be doing something China wouldn't be capable of doing, We might even set a precedent for the games after 2012, imagine that, Britain setting the trend on the world stage, it'd be like old times. :blink::clap:

Lets hope that Boris will set aside some of the 2012 budget for stab proof vests for incoming visitors.

Guest Lottie
Futher down the page :-

''Jimmy Page has been recruited to rock London's eight-minute segment of the closing ceremony with Led Zeppelin's 'Whole Lotta Love'. He will drive around the track with David Beckham, Leona Lewis and the National Youth Orchestra in red double decker bus No 2012.

:lol: That is so typically British I laughed when I read it. The more I think about it though.. I love it!

yep our country has done great much better than we expected, they've done us proud. The whole London 2012 we're not going to out do China or anyone else, but we should do what we do best pomp and ceremony, that'll knock the American tourist bandy, always does :sk

am not into the whole global warming ding dong, but if we can make the London games the most "Green" we wont need to out do China, because we'd be doing something China wouldn't be capable of doing, We might even set a precedent for the games after 2012, imagine that, Britain setting the trend on the world stage, it'd be like old times. :blink::clap:

Yup that is what I am thinking. :tu: We don't need over the top cheese, we have a wealth of history and culture that is renowned around the world. Hopefully we'll get it right!

Lets hope that Boris will set aside some of the 2012 budget for stab proof vests for incoming visitors.

LOL!!!

I'll be waiting.... :lol::devil: I'm a professional cynic; it's what makes this country great. Can anyone out cynic the British? No.

I'm already cringing every time I hear the British Oylmpic team referred to as Team GB...

YO...yo yo

What's all that about...?

So far, for me... the highlight of the 2008 Oylmpics was when the Cuban kick boxer kicked the referee.

i have my doubts about the 2012 olympics, but i do hope i get to go their 1 day and have a swim in the new swimming pool. already invested in a bullet proof vest for the visit, one less thing to worry about i guess.

Can anyone out cynic the British? No.

He he.....

But to the theme...it is about time that somebody has the guts to stop this billion dollar madness just to host the Olympics. Generally it leaves nothing of value...save bill to pay for generations.

did anyone see Boris Johnson's speech, its classic, good old Boris, if the 2012 goes along the same lines of his speech we'll have a ****ing great time, we'll be laughing all the way,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7580165.stm

"Ping Pong's coming home".

My. You just have to love Boris.

You mean I'm invited ! Great, I'll make reservations now.

Ummm, never mind ! lolz

But really, the idea of Jimmy Page playing sounds awesome. If we were to host it, they would have someone goofy like Brittany Spears.

I was proud because we actually did good.

Now hopefully this will make up for the disgrace caused by our goldfish in the goldfish Olympics.

I was proud because we actually did good.

Now hopefully this will make up for the disgrace caused by our goldfish in the goldfish Olympics.

Your from englad right. You guys did good. 4th in medal count. Thats nothing to be upset about.

Edit: 4th in medal count with 47 medals total.

Edited by Plainbob13

In the sprit of the 2012 olympics the world will be waiting with positive eyes on the UK.Its an joint effort to make such a Historic and just event happen,Im sure all of the world will be positive in the building and running of this 30th Olympics.Its all up to all mankind to see this is the way Human beings are to challenge there own inner truimphs.As One coherent unified effort to over come all challenges we put in front of ourselfs. Its eveloution on a Human scale.Good will to all that join in in this endevor. After watching this olympics and thinking what a site it must be for an intelligent race far out in the universe to see ,and think what a wonderful race of beings that must be? Its a START.