Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Sleep Disorder Makes People See 'Demons'

sleep paralysis carla mackinnon demons incubus succubus

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,020 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

When filmmaker Carla MacKinnon started waking up several times a week unable to move, with the sense that a disturbing presence was in the room with her, she didn't call up her local ghost hunter. She got researching.

Now, that research is becoming a short film and multiplatform art project exploring the strange and spooky phenomenon of sleep paralysis. The film, supported by the Wellcome Trust and set to screen at the Royal College of Arts in London, will debut in May.

http://news.yahoo.co...-152946861.html

Posted Image

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I had sleep paralysis a few times.... Demons is not the only thing you see.

When I had it the last time there was a bright light in my room and it felt like it was stopping me form moving. Freaky stuff.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,806 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Funny, I experienced sleep paralysis frequently in college. From stress or excessive drinking or both? Idk
And even later in life, it is still something I'm not unaccustomed too.
Yet, even when I had no idea what it was and felt like a weight was on me and/or could not move, I never once
thought about demons or the paranormal.
Curious? Yes. But I just accepted it as some odd physical or psychological response by my body.
Also, if I'm in bed almost asleep and I hear the door open, my heart races like it's going to explode out of my chest, even when I am not at all afraid and know exactly who it is.
Again, that happened a lot more in college too. But if my husband worked late it sometimes happened too. Have no idea why.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,126 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Oh heck, if I don't get enough sleep I don't see demons...I become one! Posted Image

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

What do you call it when you are wide awake standing on the bed screaming at a demon or something?  I've had sleep paralysis before and I know what it is but this was nothing like that.  It happened in a apartment I use to live in.

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 01 April 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

When filmmaker Carla MacKinnon started waking up several times a week unable to move, with the sense that a disturbing presence was in the room with her, she didn't call up her local ghost hunter. She got researching.

Now, that research is becoming a short film and multiplatform art project exploring the strange and spooky phenomenon of sleep paralysis. The film, supported by the Wellcome Trust and set to screen at the Royal College of Arts in London, will debut in May.

http://news.yahoo.co...-152946861.html

Good, considering so many people get their education fro television, maybe this will do some good. I doubt it will get much attention, it is not fantastic enough.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostHilander, on 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

What do you call it when you are wide awake standing on the bed screaming at a demon or something?  I've had sleep paralysis before and I know what it is but this was nothing like that.  It happened in a apartment I use to live in.

mental illness of course!!! [/sarcasm]

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

I see them when I'm wide awake . Outside even . Dark out light out . My episodes with sleep paralysis ,or even nightmares involved no demons what so ever.
Duh

Miss me?

#9    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

I often feel as if I'm drowning during sleep paralysis.  But sleep disorders can make you see things, I had night terrors as a child which has given me nyctophobia in my older age.  I would often wake up and have a 'turn' as the doctors would call it.  Sometimes I wouldn't remember and sometimes I would.  I would literally live my nightmares to the point I'd vomit uncontrollably.  I remember once my mother came into the bathroom when I was seven, and I didn't see my mother.  It was some...thing and I remember it vividly.  Now I know it was my mother, but it's a surreal feeling.  I also used to see things which are very hard to explain, objects, people I guess.  It was like a horror movie, I'd see things crawling out of the manhole on the roof, or something coming out of the cupboard etc.

Other time's when I didn't remember I apparently got violent, screaming and lashing out at people calling them things and wanting my mum.  I walked under a hot shoulder, put my hand on a stove etc, and these are only the one's I've been told of.  

So sleep disorders can make you see, feel and live some pretty crazy stuff.

Thankfully I rarely have nightmares any more, and even when I do they are far removed from the horror movie like one's I had as a child

#10    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

yep it still doesn't explain the other phenomena of ghost/possessions/etc.

These things seem to occur frequently

http://www.dailymail...ssed-devil.html

If you do a thorough search, you will find a lot of these kind of stories, even videos of it occuring.

you might not believe in demons, but they believe in us

"The truth is out there. We are all searching for it."
   PitchP

#11    Pupp3t

Pupp3t

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", verse 32 from chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

I can barely sleep at night, and yet I hear many noises and see figures darting from view. I have never had sleep paralysis, but I can see many things awake. maybe it's my psyche beginning to crack, but I'm not sure.

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostHilander, on 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Sounds like night terrors.  I have them on occasion but usually don't remember the nightmare after waking up screaming and flailing.

Eating very rich or spicy food can trigger these episodes for me.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 02 April 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Sounds like night terrors.  I have them on occasion but usually don't remember the nightmare after waking up screaming and flailing.

Eating very rich or spicy food can trigger these episodes for me.

Yeah night terrors, I remember some of my nightmares lol.  They make good camp fire stories.

Though some people don't believe such crazy nightmares are possible -_-

Edited by krypter3, 02 April 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Postkrypter3, on 02 April 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

Yeah night terrors, I remember some of my nightmares lol.  They make good camp fire stories.

Though some people don't believe such crazy nightmares are possible -_-

I bet a lot of horror stories began as nightmares!

Night terrors are actually classified as a sleep disorder.  Check out these people:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSVwmSzxKtU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One guy even has a leash on him for when he gets out of bed

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#15    stillvoice

stillvoice

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Having suffered from sleep paralysis at intervals and experienced the classic symptom of sensing an intruder in the room which I perceive to be malevolent in nature I have often wondered could sleep paralysis not account for an array of apparent supernatural incidents for example demonic possession which was advanced as a possible cause of sleep paralysis in previous centuries?

I am also led to thinking that sleep paralysis could be a direct parallel to modern reports of alien abduction. In folkloric beliefs sleep paralysis is purported to be caused by malignant supernatural entities such 'incubi' and 'succubi' which sit on the chest of the victim. Given the centuries in which these folkloric beliefs regarding sleep paralysis arose was a time when the prevalent religious imagery oft of a demonic character must have impressed heavily upon the subconscious of the general populace it is of no surprise that the sleep paralysis was perceived to be supernatural in origin. Now in modern times sleep paralysis is still likened to a supernatural episode but with the gradual lessening of a religious belief system weighing down on the collective psyche sleep paralysis may be becoming attributed to alien abduction and alien visitation in accordance the zeitgeist of the age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users