Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You would die in the full presence of God

Clarakore

"You would die in the full presence of God as you are now."

This is part of Christian mythology. Please discuss where this idea originated from, what other cultures share similar beliefs, and if you think it could possibly be a carryover from solar deities, because if you stared at the Sun it would damage your eyes, and if you thought the Sun was God then it would be like woah I can't even look at God.

I posted this specifically in Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs so we would not just discuss if we think this concept is real, fake, good, bad, or dumb, I posted here so we could discuss deeper aspects of it from different angles.

The Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs board is primarily aimed at discussing general topics pertaining to religion and spirituality, for skeptic vs believer style discussion and debate on the nature of spirituality themed topics please visit the Spirituality vs Skepticism board.
Edited by I believe you

I agree with what you said by equating God with the Sun as many elements from christianity seem to be derived from older pagan traditions particulary Sun, lunar and solar worship. As for the origin of that phrase you're theory seems plausible.

Edited by fadedface
  • Like 2

Sounds like a good theory to me. My theory is because God is an alien and we have no immunity to his diseases so meeting him would mean death.

• Like 1

I wrote this as a joke responding to something someone said somewhere, but it actually gives a bit of the feelings and thoughts I have about a creator, and coming together again.

And on the 21st day of the 12th month of the 12 year of the 21st century, the woman offered a snake to the Sun. This selfless gesture made the Sun overjoyed, and She heated up with love. As the Sun's joy and love grew more and more, she could hold it no longer, and burst, spreading her joy and love to all in her reach.

Horrible death, or magnificent rejoining? I guess it would be up to the person experiencing.

• Like 2

I havent researched or anything but it was probably just made up for a diplomat to gain power and even become pope. To show the power of a religion why not make a false statment such as this? back then there was no internet no tv and people would belive anything word of mouth.

• Like 1

I like your solar deity idea. It appears in greek mythology aswell. "When Zeus next came to her(Semele) she made him promise to grant her one wish. She went so far as to make him swear on the River Styx that he would grant her request. Zeus was madly in love and agreed. She then asked him to show her his true form. Zeus, was unhappy, and knew what would happen but, having sworn he had no choice. He appeared in his true form and Semele was instantly burnt to a crisp by the sight of his glory."

http://www.greekmythology.com/Other_Gods/Dionysus/dionysus.html

• Like 1

I always assumed it was a fatal situation because the Creator isn't physical. To meet Him or interact with Him as He IS wouldn't be possible for flesh and blood. Nothing more mysterious or sinister than this, I think.

• Like 5

It wood be because we are born of lust so being born was a sin yet Jesus was born of yet a virgin and God is so holy and pure the all sin in his prissense is distroyed

• Like 1

You could always have God as the Creator and the Sun could simply mean the son. Where the sun helps create life so in essence helps the creator. It gets murky depending on the belief structure. You follow the son(Sun) to find god well then you pretty much surely have to die to find it. So it's can sort of swing either way depending on your way to find God.

• Like 1

Loving the wildly divergent thoughts on the matter guys and especially the fact no one had to attack any other's belief to get their belief across.

On the Sun and Son comparisions, I wonder how other languages see it? I have thought of that too before so it is interesting. Some worship the Sun, others the Son, but they both share the same birthday (proximate) and holy day (Sunday).

Edited by I believe you

Less about the language and more about how you look at it :P. Some see the the bible as an allegory of astrology, hence all of the Sun references, some see it as truthful history, when in reality it's more likely a combination. That's a whole other debate though.

Less about the language and more about how you look at it :P. Some see the the bible as an allegory of astrology

I agree, but take it a step further, and feel that astrology (and everything physical) is symbolism for something beyond this.

• Like 1

I agree, but take it a step further, and feel that astrology (and everything physical) is symbolism for something beyond this.

That's the impression that I get as well. Though I'm still debating on either beyond this or greater then this.

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of the origin of Christianity: within its confines, the explanation for the OP is closest to what SubjectDigamma said. Man's unregenerate status prohibits him from being in the full presence of the holiness of God.

I wrote this as a joke responding to something someone said somewhere, but it actually gives a bit of the feelings and thoughts I have about a creator, and coming together again.

Horrible death, or magnificent rejoining? I guess it would be up to the person experiencing.

Very mystical/mythical fantasy you got going there...

Yeah I think the full presence is too powerful. Thats why he sent Jesus and the Holy Ghost. But maybe we wouldn't die... maybe we wouldbe protected like daniel walking in the fiery furnace or like the priests who had to wear a chain around their ankle when they enteredtenteredthe holy of holies. Sometimes they made it out alive and sometimes they had to be dragged out dead..