Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Devils Footprints

wicky

I grew up in a small place in eastern Canada called Beaverbank. A small rural town which is actually a long road stretching about 20 miles further back into very rural country. I first heard about the Devil's Footprints when I was in my early teens and just passed it off as a prank but after a friend encouraged me to drive to the location one day I was astounded. There are actually footprints in solid granite rock, worn but human size very old which go from the edge of the road in towards the woods on one solid piece of granite rock. I did hear that local scholors did look at this and passed it off as a natural phenominon or tracks of a dinosaur but that is about as far from the truth as could be. The footprints or depressions are to perfect to be natural and are spaced the same as if someone were to walk. I guess everyone is wondering were does the name Devil's footprints come from. Well I am not sure exactly but I had a very chilling conveersation one day with a friend of mine's step-father one day that sent chills up my spine. He said that long ago a man supposedly came to the town who was very mysterious and was chased out of town because of suspicious deaths. When he was chased he went into the woods and disappeared hauling a substantial amount of money and jewels with him he had stolen from some of the wealthier residence of the town. At that time it was all logging roads(now paved). The area were he went into the woods a group of tracks were found in solid granite. In an ability to find the man and figure out the strange prints a number of men and explorers went into the woods at the location but not one ever returned or was found. This was actually documented in a local newspaper. When I asked my friends stepdad if he ever went in there he said NO WAY, NEVER, and warned us to stay out. Might sound like a tail but he was a very serious man and I believed he was genuinely frightened. He was also told as a young boy that the money and jewels were barried in a cave quite far back, somehow someone got out alive and reveiled the story but went in again to search and never returned. This was also documented.

Now this all may seem like a big story but there are some interesting facts you should know that some friends and I uncovered. The story goes that there was a meadow about half way back with a fork shaped river that was bottomless and if you fell in you would drown for sure. Another mile past that the cave with the loot is suppose to be hiddin in dense forest. We actually set out one day when we were about 17 to see if we could get back there. Just one look at the depressions and you can tell right away they are footprints very similar to human footprints. That being said the first thing I did was see what direction they were going in and headed off of them and straight into the woods to see if I could locate other footprints. I was stunned after walking in about 300 feet to find a single granite rock about twice the size of a football split right in two by a similar footprint. Now if this was a dinosaur what are the odds of a rock that was on top of the ground not buried probably put there from a glacier being from the same dinosaur. This was obviously way after the age of dinsaurs and my friends were, well a little jumpy after that as was I. Going on we walked for about another kilometer and found a

U-shaped river in a small meadow which was about 200 feet across. We walked up to the river whch was more like a brook about 2-3 feet across and looked down. It was totally black. We cut down a good sized tree and skinned the branches off. It was about 4 to 5 inches thick and about 15 feet high. I took it and tried to reach the bottom of the river and could not do it, so I shoved as hard as I could to see if I could make it hit the bottom and it went out of sight for a couple of seconds then popped back up into sight and to the surface. As far as we tested and know we could not touch the bottom of the brook, a 2-3 feet brook with a 15 foot tree. It must have went down about 20-25 feet before it popped up again. At this point we looked at each other and were freaked. It was beginning to get dark about sunset at this point so we decided to get out and back to the car before dark. We were all speachless on the way home and none of us has gone back. I wood like to explore this further but I would need a few people before I would go back there. I thought I would share this and if anyone is intrigued by this let me know, I am look for people who are interested. By the way I am 34 and very serious about what I saw and believe there are questions that have yet to be answered.

Thank you!

A very interesting story, you said the footprints looked similar to human footprints, what differences did they have? And if it's not too difficult could you take a few pictures of them and of the meadow? All in all, this was an interesting story to hear and I hope you share your experience after the next time you go there.

There is a story like this in Arther C Clarks book, that has a story in about the devils footprints going up the sides of houses. I will get the book off my mum and put the story on for you and see what you think.

soz if i spelt his name wrong sad.gif

Hi Everyone,

It is also winter here right now and it would be impossible to find the prints on the side of the road. I have a general idea where they are because there is a model plane flying strip just down the road but I always seem to have to look a bit before I find them because this is rural country and everything looks the same with no distinct markings to guide me. I always find it after about 5 minutes exploring the side of the road. I am going to take some pictures in the spring when everything thaws and maybe try to get a pic of the rock that I saw split in two if I can find that again. I am sure I will, I have eyes like a hawk. The meadow on the other hand. (Chills) I may have to get drunk. hahaha. The area is very Blair Witchy and strange rocks shoot up from the surface almost like tombstones I will take pics of these also. As for the cave, i never saw it but can't say I would like to be in this area alone. I would have to start in early morning and get out by mid afternoon because night time ain't happenin. One thing my friends and I never did think of doing either is going on the opposite side of the road and having a look in the other direction. This area is also home to another mystery which is much more documented which is the abandoned military base used in 1954. Strange lights have been seen there on occasion and I have been there myself and it is creepy. This place is documented and if you look awhile on the net you will find pics about the base. The footprints are about 3-4 miles down the road.

• 5 years later...

Please do tell me the road directions to this place because me my bf and another couple are going to go check this out in a couple weeks and i heard it is so hard to find.

I am sure if there was jewels they are found and all taken by now :( but then again you never know eh? lol

I will take lots of pictures too.

Jenn

Thanks for sharing this fascinating story and descriptions. I want to see those pics.

Black deep bodies of water never fails to give me the heebie jeebies.

Edited by Manszilla

My grandfather told me a story like this when I was little. I don't remember were the story took place or the situaton surrounding it but it has always stuck with me. He's dead now so I can't ask him about it.

Interesting story. Of course the solution for any kind of monster living in the woods killing all who enter is of course to clear cut it and build a mall.

Take that monsters!

:P

Interesting story. Of course the solution for any kind of monster living in the woods killing all who enter is of course to clear cut it and build a mall.

Take that monsters!

:P

I found one floor in that plan. By the time we do clear cut every forest that has a monster in it, there wont be enough trees left to provide oxygen for us. :P

fascinating story

Thanks for posting it up here

By the way..Welcome to the forums Wicky and i2am1marked

Hope you enjoy your stay here

Thanks

B???

The Devil's Footprints took place back in the 1800s and were around the Devon area I believe.Charles Fort for whom the Fortian Society is named mentioned this also in one of his books.There were drawings in english newspapers of the time of these foot prints.However, they were not shaped like a human foot, but like more of an animal's like a goat.

There is also in new england somehwere a rock said to have the foot prints of a witch or a devil on it.

Where about's in Canada is this?

There are various areas with the devil in it's name.There is the Devil's Stomping Grounds in the Carolina's or Georgia, and the Devil's Backbone, which is a ridge of hills up north of San Marcos ,Texas.I'm sure there are other such places around the US and the world.

great story. it's interesting that there are actual newspaper accounts of this guy that stole the money and jewelry.makes it even more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm the half of the couple jen was talking about and we still have yet to find exact driving locations to get to beaverbank... well specifically the old plant... anyone kindly give us some help?

Seeing as the OP posted this more than 5 years ago, I doubt he'll be back. He did mention Beaverbank and a quick Google search brings up a small Canadian town by that name. There also was a military base there long ago so it could probably be the same place. Just do your own research and you'll probably find more info.

• 1 year later...

Too bad there were no updates to this post, it looked quite interesting,

Just live up the road from these footprints, have visited them many times over the years, familiar with the meadows, the river and the general area, if anyone would like to have a closer look I would be happy to show them to you, in the spring, they are currently under 2ft of snow. There is also a waterfall know as the devils jaws.

Joewoodsman- Your General demeanor towards this and the story surrounding seems that of ease as compared to the frightened one of the original poster. What are your thoughts? I thought this story was interesting as well but, sad to find out in over 6 years no one has posted an update until now. <_<

Joewoodsman- Your General demeanor towards this and the story surrounding seems that of ease as compared to the frightened one of the original poster. What are your thoughts? I thought this story was interesting as well but, sad to find out in over 6 years no one has posted an update until now. <_<

I've never heard of this story before, but aswell also find it interesting. My father visited these tracks in the early 50s and was told that they could be followed across country to Grande Lake. The tracks have a faint line between them as if it were a tail dragging behind it. There is now a gravel pit and extensive logging has been done, and don't know how far the tracks can be followed. Its starts off with 6 to 8 tracks right in the edge of the road, we were always told they were made by a dinosaur.

No pics? Anywhere? :(

seeing as noone who said they were going ever posted back i guess they never returned from their trips... :blink:

• 1 month later...

I live extremely close to the area, about 40 minutes away but I cant say I've ever heard of it. Really interesting, we have a similar myth around here at a place called Crystal Falls, it's a big waterfall that leads into a pond with no bottom. No one I've ever spoken to has been able to reach the bottom of the pit and there's countless rumors of what's actually down there.

I'd definitely love to check out these footprints and explore them more if anyone else in the area is interested.