Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Art No Longer Feels Right Any Longer

AMP40

So I have for the longest time been an amateur actor and freelance poet/writer. Ever since losing my biggest artistic inspiration in Robin Williams.....the medium no longer feels right. I realize I ought to continue to honor him; yet I no longer care to act or write ever again. So here I am at 39 seeking a whole new start in life and whole new me.

Is it as challenging a prospect as I foresee in my own imagination?

Am I at all wrong for completely surrendering the medium?

Well, maybe step back and think about it. While your original "biggest artistic inspiration" is now gone is your own inspiration to create dead and gone as well?

If not, there are many other ways to find a creative conduit. Maybe, find another.

• Like 1

If you loved it and were even slightly better than average, the yes, you're totally wrong. But if you have no drive to do it then you have no drive. Great art can't be forced. Thats not right. Sometimes it's forced at first and then gains momentum. I've been an artist of one form or another for my entire life and am doing some of my best work ever right now. It will probably never be heard if you can't sit here and listen to me play in the moment though. I guess at this point my art is only for myself. Sorry went off on a tangent. I blame the beer. BURP.

• Like 4

Hello AMP38,

Welcome to the forum.

There is an old saying that states something like this- if you want to be X (an actor, an artist, fill in the blank) when you wake up in the morning it should be the first thing you think about doing and one of the last things you think about before going to sleep and you should be working at it to make it a reality.

Don't use another person as an excuse to do or not do something, it's not fair to the other person or to yourself. Being realistic about needing a break or the emotional impact a loss can have on your creativity/drive is one thing but to focus your entire desire or lack of, of being X on another says you really didn't want to be X in the first place.

It's up to you to determine if the path is right.

Mabon.

• Like 3

Well, maybe step back and think about it. While your original "biggest artistic inspiration" is now gone is your own inspiration to create dead and gone as well?

If not, there are many other ways to find a creative conduit. Maybe, find another.

Edit: I was a graphic artst for a number of years until I finally got burnt out. The 'fun was gone'. Now I create in other ways.

• Like 1

Edit: I was a graphic artst for a number of years until I finally got burnt out. The 'fun was gone'. Now I create in other ways.

Addendum: Oops, damn. I didn't edit at all. I quoted myself. I'm blaming OverSword's beer as well.

• Like 4

They say suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I think abandoning something you know and love because you feel dry of inspiration is also.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

So I have for the longest time been an amateur actor and freelance poet/writer. Ever since losing my biggest artistic inspiration in Robin Williams.....the medium no longer feels right. I realize I ought to continue to honor him; yet I no longer care to act or write ever again. So here I am at 39 seeking a whole new start in life and whole new me.

Is it as challenging a prospect as I foresee in my own imagination?

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like you need to take a step back and try some other options.

You're not wrong by the way, we all hit barriers of some kind.

Try some new activities, see what sets off the fire of inspiration.

It might take awhile but I'm sure you'll find it. Good luck :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful words, all! I mostly am afraid of...........if it could happen to him.......

and artistry is what I most truly know.

My advice would be to take a step back for a while and don't try to reach any major decisions. You're feeling the loss of Robin Williams and you're not thinking straight at the moment. Take a break and see if you feel the same later on, then think about what you want to do.

• Like 2