Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Shock Induction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    ExoSin

ExoSin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyways, I was curious if anybody has any interesting information beyond the standard google search for "shock hypnosis". It seems that always leads to being blasted with cheap hypnosis ads. For those who aren't familiar, shock induction is when you "break" an action the mind does pretty much automatically. Typically, practicionars use a handshake for this. The street preformer Darren Brown seems quite adept at this, but it makes me wonder if anything is staged.

So basically, I was wondering if anybody has tried this before, and if so wha kind of a success rate does it have? Also, where did you learn techniques, or what techniques do you use? I'm not expecting to "bend people to my will (like ads suggest..)" but I'm interested in the power of suggestion.

#2    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,620 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

Clinical hypnosis, stage hypnosis, misdirection, mentalism, etc. You'll also want to look into so-called Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), which has its own set of detractors and people claiming what it is and what it isn't.  Some pretty crazy stuff.  I'm afraid I can't speak of any firsthand experience or witnessing of any of the instant/shock versions, only what I've read and seen on videos and ebooks and such.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#3    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,263 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Welcome aboard, ExoSin.

For those who aren't familiar, shock induction is when you "break" an action the mind does pretty much automatically.
Yes, that's a very old practice. You sometimes hear yoga defined as interrupting the spontaneous "movement" of the "mind stuff."

There really is something interesting about the mental state experienced during even a micro-crisis. I suppose the "hypnotic" angle involves persuading the fleetingly disoriented person that the hypnotist is the causal agent of the unfamiliar mental state, and its relief.

Typically, practicionars use a handshake for this.
And many others gimmicks as well. Stage performers (not stage hypnotists especially, but actors and actresses) sometimes use deliberate technical gaffes to engage the audience with the performer. Probably the easiest is to "whisper," rather than to deliver a conversational line in a conversational register.

The audience experiences that momentary discomfort, but they spontaneously reorient, and do indeed reliably become focused on the performer.

As it happened, I had the opportunity to observe a "clinical trial" of the one-on-one "handshake" method. A poor guy badly injured his right hand and forearm, and so for weeks, he had to shake hands with his left. Yes, he reliably "interrupted the spontaneous movement of the mind-stuff" of everyone who visited his office, but no, he did not end up "bending" anybody "to his will."

(But, if you want to skip all those Google ads, and try this out for yourself, any big drugstore sells arm slings, and they aren't all that expensive. I am serious, you should do this if you are interested, and lots of folks here would love to read about your adventures.

Suggested target task: see if you can persuade strangers to swap a dollar for three quarters, telling them that you are short. Compare with sling on right hand, "wrong" handshake, versus sling on left, normal handshake. Profit.)

The street preformer Darren Brown seems quite adept at this, but it makes me wonder if anything is staged.
We discuss Brown here a lot. His "psychological explanations" are part of his performance. He also shrewdly taps into a prevalent fantasy that there is some "cheat code" in human relations, and the expectation that "science" can deliver that.

It is all staged. That is his job. He does it well.

Also, where did you learn techniques, ...
As the above suggests, I've spent some time hanging around theaters. Also, I've read some psychology. It's easy enough to "connect the dots" between what performers do, based on folk stories and craft lore, and what happens in the lab or couch.

The best hypnosis teacher I know of, and easily the highest paid, doesn't even claim to be a hypnotist, nor to teach it. And he gives it away for free. Here's the article. Read between the lines, think about where he is with respect to his audience, and you'll never read another Google ad... heck, you can write your own ad!

http://www.news.harv.../11-stress.html

-

Edited by eight bits, 25 April 2010 - 11:02 AM.

Posted Image

#4    Alien Being

Alien Being

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

View PostExoSin, on 25 April 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyways, I was curious if anybody has any interesting information beyond the standard google search for "shock hypnosis". It seems that always leads to being blasted with cheap hypnosis ads. For those who aren't familiar, shock induction is when you "break" an action the mind does pretty much automatically. Typically, practicionars use a handshake for this. The street preformer Darren Brown seems quite adept at this, but it makes me wonder if anything is staged.

So basically, I was wondering if anybody has tried this before, and if so wha kind of a success rate does it have? Also, where did you learn techniques, or what techniques do you use? I'm not expecting to "bend people to my will (like ads suggest..)" but I'm interested in the power of suggestion.

Go up to someone and do something odd which grabs their attention such as tap your fingers in a strange pattern on their forearm.

You'll notice from their eyes they are immediately tranced so go ahead and plant your suggestions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users