Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Lets Count to a Million (Game)

• Please log in to reply
2939 replies to this topic

#886    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

886AD: King Alfred the Great captures London and renames it Lundenburgh. Slightly upstream from London Bridge he builds a small harbour called Queenhythe (now spelt Queenshithe and is a small ward of the City of London in central London just south of St Paul's Cathedral, famous for its once-wobbly Millennium Bridge which crosses into the City of London). Control of London is given to Earl Æthelred, Lord of the Mercians, who marries Alfred's daughter Æthelfleda, who becomes Lady of the Mercians.

Posted Image

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 17 March 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#887    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,917 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

887 is a number I waited for someone else to cover so I can have 888.
Well, we can’t have it all...

So, in 887 12 Venetian ships came to Croatian side of Adriatic to discipline Neretvan Croats, to please Charles III the Fat with whom they made alliance. After initial promising successful sinking of 5 Croatian ships, Croats struck back, Venetians lost the battle, all their ships, and their doge Peter too. Venetians had to steal his dead body because Neretvans were not in negotiating mood.
The battle was over on September 18th, that is commemorated today in Croatia as the day of Croatian navy.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#888    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

888 is two levels up in Evil-ness and a number Helen wanted for some weird reason. :P

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#889    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,917 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Everything I want is for some weird reason :D

889 is the code for medieval and modern Greek literature, in the Dewey Decimal System for classifying books.

Posted Image

#890    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,847 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

AD 890....Her lædde Beornhelm abbud Westseaxna ælmessan to Rome ælfredes cyninges; Godrum se norþerna cyning forþferde, þæs fulluhtnama wæs æþelstan, se wæs ælfredes cyninges godsunu, he bude on Eastenglum,  þæt lond ærest gesæt; þy ilcan geare for se here of Sigene to Sant Laudan, þæt is butueoh Brettum  Francum,  Brettas him wiþ gefuhton, hæfdon sige, hie bedrifon ut on ane ea, monige adrencton. Her wæs Plegemund gecoron of Gode of eallen his halechen.

This year Abbot Bernhelm conducted the alms of the West-Saxons and of King Alfred to Rome; and Guthrum, king of the Northern men, departed this life, whose baptismal name was Athelstan.  He was the godson of King Alfred; and he abode among the East-Angles, where he first established a settlement.  The same year also went the army from the Seine to Saint Lo, which is between the Bretons and the Franks; where the Bretons fought with them, obtained the victory, and drove them out into a river, in which many of them were drowned.  This year also was Plegmund chosen by God and all his saints to the archbishopric in Canterbury.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#891    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

NGC 891 is an edge-on unbarred spiral galaxy 30 million light-years away in the constellation Andromeda.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#892    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,847 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

892: Sigurd the Mighty, King of Orkney, strapped the head of his defeated foe, Máel Brigte, to his horse's saddle. The teeth of the head grazed against his leg as he rode, causing a fatal infection.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#893    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,917 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

From Vincent van Gogh’s letter no. 893:
"It’s a figure I enjoyed painting – but it’s difficult.
He’s promised to get her to pose for me another time with a little organ."

Posted Image

#894    Titanicneversank

Titanicneversank

Alien Abducter

• 5,308 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

When all else fails, take to the skies...

894. SouthWest #894 will deliver you from Bob Hope Airport, Burbank, to McCarran International, Las Vegas, in about 50 minutes at an average ticket price of about $108. :-*  Now how on earth did you live without knowing that?

#895    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,064 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

C89.5 Seattle's Hottest Music!

#896    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,917 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Two popes in the year 896. Mostly because the first pope that year died after only 15 days of his pontificate.

Posted Image

#897    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,847 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

A 6.5mm Carcano Model 91/897 was the weapon used to assassinate President Kennedy.

#898    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,917 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

898 Hildegard is a minor planet orbiting the Sun.
It was named after St. Hildegard of Bingen, one of my favourite saints.

Posted Image

#899    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

http://www.899games.com is an online game website

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#900    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,917 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

is how many Spartans saw someone who saw “300” three times.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users